Free Models and Media / [Request] Three different type of plain black floors please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 14:07
Hi Guys, I am really hoping someone is able to help me with this as I need it for my level in the competition.

What I am in dire need of:

a 4 meter x 1 meter light black floor

a 4 meter x 4 meter light black floor

a 10 meter x 10 meter light black floor

All floor about 20cm thick only. No textures on the black floor so a really plain normal map. No need for ambient baking. The diffuse color would be something like the light black you see on this forum menu right behind this post. Specular would be dark grey as it should be a bit shiny like metal.

I know how to use 3D Max, but I can't get my exports to work properly. I can't view any of them when I put them in FPSCR. I would really appreciate any help as the deadline is so close.

Thanks guys

Windows 7 Home Premium, i7 2600K, Gigabyte GTX560 SOC, SB X-Fi Titanium, 8GB...err...6GB of RAM left....
PM
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 14:57
simple
I do it yourself

???
PM
rekjl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 15:06
Bisella, I have, but I can't export it out properly. I am not sure why, but I seem to be getting inconsistent result. One of them shows properly until closer inspection shows that the sides of the object is separated from it. In another two, I can't even view it in FPSCR. That is why I am a bit confused, I used the same method exactly for both, but get different result. And not sure why, but only 2056 resolution exported maps seem to be working when I export. Any less resolution and it doesn't work.

Windows 7 Home Premium, i7 2600K, Gigabyte GTX560 SOC, SB X-Fi Titanium, 8GB...err...6GB of RAM left....
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 15:22
which version of 3d max and which exporter are you using?
the 2056 x 2056 texture is still a multiple of 2, so I don't think that is the issue. Why it wont work for you with smaller sizes is a question.

Back to modeling.
So you make you box in 3d max at the real size that you want it. Assign a material to the diffuse channel and the convert it to an editable poly. Set the box in relation to 0,0,0 as you want it to come into the editor. Do the xform modifier from the utilities panel. Hide everything else you don't want attached to the model on export.

Use Pandasoft exporter unless you are using max 2013 or greater or ** KW Export remade from Bond1 which for 99% of all exports works very well and has a lower file size then other x file exporters.

See post with version link to download: http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208936&b=8

If you are all ready doing this, then post the model file and the textures, fpe file and I will see if I can find the issue.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

rekjl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 15:40 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 16:02
Hi Pirate Myke,

I am using Max 2013, and I am using the latest KW X-poter, 64bit version. Haha I have absolutely no clue why it won't work with lower resolutions. Since it was just bland black, I tested from 256 all the way to 2056.

Yup, i made sure the pivot for the box is at 0,0,0. I didn't do an xform modifier though and will give that a try now. I use export selected option so the other objects (lights only) will not be in.

Thank you so much for the offer Pirate Myke, I will now go test it out, and hopefully the xform will do the trick and resolves the issue.

Edit: Also, once I've unwrapped and baked the textures, I am left with the Unwrap UVW and the Automatic Flatten UVs modifier in the modifier list. Should I collapse them all or just leave them be and add the xform on top?

Edit2: For the entity that doesn't appear at all, just a tiny white dot, I've noticed that the entity I created does not have a dbo file created after testing it out on FPSCR. Is this a clue to what I am doing wrong?

Edit3: I've uploaded the folder with the files https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eh0bzolxrutpog3/AAAfb7nYwkJniwt7k7WFanyma I am sorry that the file size is a bit big since all the images are at 2056.

PM
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 15:58 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 15:59
for simple objects you should use sketchup. works very well.

and you can export to. x

I am attaching the exporter for sketchup

if you need, tell them that I do

forgive my English

???

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
rekjl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 16:12
Thanks for that information Bisella. It definitely looks interesting. For now, I will try to find a solution to using Max first since it is the software I am most familiar with and there isn't mush time left for the competition, so I am also worried about the time to learn a new software. Once this competition date is over, and I still can't export properly in Max, I will definitely give it a try.

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 16:36
got the files, looking at them now.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 16:52
OK, so I brought the xfile into fragmotion and exported it out as a .obj file and imported it to max 2013.

As I suspected, the xfile is intact and all side are welded to each other. When I applied the texture you sent, I could see that the UV mapping has the black part of the texture on part of the sides. This will and is causing the apparent see thru issues you are seeing.

UV unwrap the model in max,

Open the uv editor, select individual faces and move them to the colored part of you texture, or make the whole texture grey, then it will be fine as is.

But I would start UV mapping stuff as it will benefit you later a lot when doing complex texturing for the models.

Hope this solves you Issue.

rekjl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 16:58
Thank you Pirate Myke! Will give it a go now.

PM
rekjl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 17:31
Sorry Pirate Myke, but I still can't get it to work. I applied a self illumination to the object so that now none of the texture has any pure black. Do I have to do something to the model itself, as you mentioned it is all welded?

Please forgive me if I am making some really silly mistakes. I have not much experience with unwrapping for exports.

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 18:20
I will make you a template file and send it to you in Max format so you have it as reference. Give me 5 minutes.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 19:01 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 19:05
ok here are the files made and the max file with proper units setup so you can export at 1:1 in KW-Exporter.

Also your original on is there and the new one setup in reloaded for you to see the difference in the way they were UV Mapped.

Edit: About using illumination to wash out the black, I am not sure what you are doing there. But if you want a piece of the model to be black but not transparent as true black is transparent in the engine, then set the black to 90% black instead of 100% black, The engine will not read it as transparent. It will be so dark in the engine that it will look black.

Not sure what you are using these for, but I would add a little noise in the texture to give it better appearance in the engine.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
rekjl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 03:49
Thank you so much Pirate Myke.

Is the difference is in the seam for the UV map? I will have to study unwrapping UVs again, haha will look for more tutorials online to understand.

Ah sorry about that, I got myself confused about what you mentioned when you were talking about UVs. I used a self illumination so that I get a consistent colored object. Do you mean that a 100% black diffuse map will make it transparent in FPSCR?

Haha I am using it for a bit of an alien type platform, that is why I want it to be perfectly smooth and a bit shiny.

Again, thank you Pirate Myke, I really appreciate you going that extra mile.

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 14:33
Your welcome.

Solid black or full black in diffuse texture will be transparent in the game engine.

For things like floors and walls, that are just boxes, you really don't need to bake the UV template from the Model.

It is worth reading everything the help file says, then go out to the web and there are a ton of tutorials on uv mapping. Start with simple objects and work your way up to more complex ones.

Anyway glad these work for you.

rekjl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 17:44
Thanks Pirate Myke. I will finish my level for the competition first. Right after that I am going through the help file to get a better understanding and than go look at the many tutorials out there.

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 15:23:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 15:23:29