Product Chat / FPSCR Is Ignoring My Normal Maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't understand why FPSCR is ignoring my normal maps. I Also don't know why FPSC generates a new copy of each texture when i test the level.

I have made some models with textures, normal maps, and specular maps. I have applied the Entity_basic shader to them in their .fpe files. and when i run the test level the normal map is ignored. the specular map works fine.

Heres my .fpe file

And a screenshot

Anybody know any trick to get the normal maps to work properly?
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 07:21 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 07:22
Reloaded doesn't use FPI any more, it uses .lua should update the models it would be fine, It also only uses _D _N and _S textures now

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 13:35
Quote: "It also only uses _D _N and _S textures now "

There is actually an illumination shader working now.

This is the exact same shader that was used in classic and requires a texture map with the '_I' suffix.

I have it working in my level and it makes the place look a whole lot better!

Cheers

Jay.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 14:19
@Parallax : Send me your entity files and I will check it out at lee@thegamecreators.com

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "There is actually an illumination shader working now. "

Really? I was not aware of that. I'll have to look into it Now all we need is an ambient occlusion map I'm not sure if it's possible in a game engine as such, but would be nice.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 12:37
@unfamillia

Quote: "requires a texture map with the '_I' suffix."

I don't know this one, could you tell me what the _I texture map is.

Thanks

I've got something to say

----

It's better to burn out than fade aw
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 02:02
Quote: "Now all we need is an ambient occlusion map"

You can already have this, just prebake and multiply it on top of your diffuse texture. No need to waste an entire RGB texture on what amounts to a greyscale texture. In fact I did this with some of the stock models that I felt needed some more depth.

For normal maps, make sure they are in the correct format. Unfortunately there is no standard when it comes to normal maps, even between modeling apps, for example 3ds Max and Maya use different normal map axes.

FPSC uses a X-Right, Y-Down format. So whatever tool you use to generate normal maps (Crazybump, etc), make sure you go into the settings and set the axes accordingly. Most often the culprit is the green channel of your normal map, if lighting appears to be inverted or wrong, try inverting the green channel of your normal map in your image editor of choice.

SPECS: Intel Corei7 3770k, Nvidia GTX780, 16GB RAM, Win7 Pro

kW-Xport for 3ds Max:http://mjblosser.com/kw-x-port-for-3ds-max/
Parallax
Years of Service
User Offline
Bump.

Its been a long time since I posted last. I am still having trouble with my models looking flat. I tried all the suggestions you guys made. I am now using the most recent version of FPSCR. Has anybody else tried using shaders on their models? Are there other shaders out there that would work better?

The biggest question was what did I expect my models to loo like. Here is a screenshot of what they look like in Reloaded, and Unity. I want them to have the 3d kind of look that the shaders in Unity them.

Thanks

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 03:26 Edited at: 19th Aug 2014 03:28
Wow, what a difference! Wish I could help you; I've never had mine looking quite right, either. I will keep my eyes open for anything though that might help both of us.

EDIT: Your first screenshot, from a while back, actually doesn't look bad!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Paralax,

If you'd like to email me these models, I'll look into them again, and see if we can track down what might need to be done to the shaders to improve the look.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 11:11
Yes indeed, send one of the models over and we will have a play. My email is lee@thegamecreators.com. In the meantime you can check for the obvious things like ensuring you are on HIGHEST entity shader, and that your sun light source is oriented to create the contrast in the normal map render, and that your ambient and brightness terms are such that they match the final render options of the U4 shot.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 12:16 Edited at: 19th Aug 2014 12:17
Not sure what it is shadows perhaps or the fact its light everywhere but i agree the visuals still have a way to go.

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 13:41
I gather the second image is Leadwerks Tattie?

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 14:12
yea m8 i have gone back to it till reloaded sorts its self out still on the forums lurking

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
Conjured Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 01:26
Quote: "FPSC uses a X-Right, Y-Down format. So whatever tool you use to generate normal maps (Crazybump, etc), make sure you go into the settings and set the axes accordingly. Most often the culprit is the green channel of your normal map, if lighting appears to be inverted or wrong, try inverting the green channel of your normal map in your image editor of choice."

Yeah, the plugin that I use for Paint.NET has sliders for the X, Y, and Z values. I got better results when adjusting those from the default settings and I am still playing around with those. I get better results converting the _D to an _N when I change it to black and white first, instead of leaving it in color.

Parallax
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In the meantime you can check for the obvious things like ensuring you are on HIGHEST entity shader, and that your sun light source is oriented to create the contrast in the normal map render,"

That's just it. There is no contrast in the normal map render, no matter what angle I look at it. I've compared my normal maps to the normal maps on the stock entities and can't see any difference.

Quote: "send one of the models over and we will have a play."

I have already sent you a copy of the wooden crate model. Scene Commander then emailed me saying he was going to look into this and get back to me. I have yet to hear back.

Anyways, I have sent another copy of the wooden box. Thanks for taking the time to help me with this problem I am having.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 11:53
Yep got it this time Will check it out.

Parallax
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for getting back to me and solving my problem.

My models were not displaying normal maps properly because i had the scale option in the .fpe file set to 5000 instead of 100.
To solve this i had to make my model 50 times bigger in my modelling program instead of relying on the scale option.

not being able to set the scale to 5000 in the .fpe file makes it more difficult for me to make quick changes to my models. Will this be fixed in a future version of FPSCR?

Thanks.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2014 04:44 Edited at: 27th Aug 2014 04:47
While I'm not an expert in such things, when I've had to scale objects in the fpe in order to make them visible, etc., I've gone back into my modeling program and scaled them accordingly. Scaling them later (fpe) has never seemed like the best practice, regardless of the need to make quick changes (which raises the question: Like what kind of changes?) I remember working with DBPro and using Sparky's collision while you didn't necessarily have to scale it beforehand, if you did not, it required at least another command, which to me means more clock cycles. Performance is key!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2014 22:03
I have now fixed this in the latest build, amending the entity shader so it can correctly bump map the surface no matter what scale the entity is using

Steohl72
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 20:14
What kind of maps does FPSCR support besides standard N D S?

I have an application that exports (besides N D S):
Height-map
Roughness-map
Metallic-map
Diffgloss-map

Can FPSCR use any of these as well?

Hardware: Intel i5 3,2 Ghz - 8 GB ram - Asus NVIDIA GTX 760 - Win Pro 7 64-bit
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What kind of maps does FPSCR support besides standard N D S?

I have an application that exports (besides N D S):
Height-map
Roughness-map
Metallic-map
Diffgloss-map

Can FPSCR use any of these as well?"

what is your applicaton ?? I need a tool like that...

PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA HD6870 1GB - HDD WD 1500TB
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 21:09
Quote: "Can FPSCR use any of these as well?"

Some are uncommon designations for shader-textures but DBPro can support these...so FPSCR might too... in the future. I certainly hope for flashy shaders!

(except roughness map...what is that supposed to do? Did you ever import any of these into UDK or something and see how they look?)

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
Steohl72
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 03:53
Seems like these maps are new for what is called PBR, Physically Based Rendering.
It would be awesome if RELOADED could support that. With PBR you can do fantastic reflections, metals and other really awesome textures.

Lee ? Any thoughts on supporting PBR?

PM
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 06:17 Edited at: 31st Aug 2014 06:34
There is no defined standard for PBR, it's just the new fancy buzzword in computer graphics. Just like how everyone was going on and on about phong-shading back when the Xbox360 was released.

PBR is mostly just a variation of the Cook-Torrance lighting model. Unreal and Cryengine have their own variations on this lighting model, and they collectively just call it "PBR" (probably because it sounds cooler than Cook-Torrance). The main difference is that it uses some real-world values in the calculation of material properties. So instead of an artist eyeballing their textures and shader values in an ad-hoc way to get a nice shiny metal effect, it simplifies things a bit by plugging in some real-world physical measurements on the reflectivity of various materials.

It STILL takes the skill of an artist to make all those new textures look good, it's not just a matter of slapping a PBR shader on a model and voila! Texturing for PBR takes just a much skill as traditional diffuse/normal/spec textures. If you have a hard time getting your head around normal and specular maps, PBR won't be any easier.

The reloaded weapon shader has a few sprinkles of PBR hallmarks already in there, I know because I wrote it Things like gamma correction, energy conservation, and some basic image-based lighting.

It would be a massive waste to add a new set of PBR style shaders to Reloaded. Only the best computers could handle the extra shader instructions, and it would mean ALL assets (including everything in the store) would need re-textured to make use of them. Which means you would need two sets of textures, one for PBR shaders and another set for the traditional Blinn-Phong shaders. Just not practical.

SPECS: Intel Corei7 3770k, Nvidia GTX780, 16GB RAM, Win7 Pro

kW-Xport for 3ds Max:http://mjblosser.com/kw-x-port-for-3ds-max/
Steohl72
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 13:57 Edited at: 31st Aug 2014 15:06
Well, I'm just started reading about PBR. But I don't agree with you, and I really don't think that it's "just a buzz word". There is a reason for that big studios are using PBR (EA, RockStar, Blizzard, Dice, etc).

I would say PBR simplify things A LOT! Especially the workflow.

"Basically: instead of current lighting techniques like using multiple diffuse textures/specular maps for each part of every object in the game to represent different conditions, they can just create 1 texture for each part then artificially define properties like a refractive index to help parameterize a physics model that controls how light and shadow work when rendering frames of an in-game scene that contains that object.

In most implementations the physics model basically uses a predictive set of converging functions to determine how light from a specific source will reflect/refract off a given surface with different reflectivity and absorption/diffusion characteristics, which then refracts and reflects off other surfaces at a) different angles, with b) reduced intensity and c) a different wavelength, etc.

In productivity terms: people creating textures for in-game assets now have to spend less time creating multiple maps for each surface because they can just say "this panel is steel" or "this seat cushion is leather" with specific reflectivity/diffusion/texture/etc. rather than having to create multiple different copies of them that behave differently under different lighting conditions (such as in space, in atmosphere, indoors, etc.)

In visual terms: different types of surfaces (such as metal, leather, plastic, glass, etc.) should look more photorealistic and more "natural" because the way that light reflects off them and the way shadows are created will be more accurate."

If RELOADED wants to be a modern engine I think PBR is worth looking into.

For users that are interested, here are some really good reading:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fb9_KgCo0noxROKN4iT8ntTbx913e-t4Wc2nMRWPzNk/edit

..and here is a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNwMJeWFr0U

PM
Steohl72
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 10:39
The upcomning Unity 5 will have PBR/PBS as standard shader.
So I think it's a little more than just a buzz...

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 13:04
Quote: "If RELOADED wants to be a modern engine I think PBR is worth looking into."

I don't think reloaded wants to be that kind of modern engine. It runs on direct x 9 as far as I know (And I'm totally fine with that.) And I'm pretty certain it'll stick to convential dbpro shaders (which are plenty).

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 11:23
@Steohl72 : If you can dig out something I can run in real-time that uses a DirectX9 PBR shader, send me the link and I will check out and compare against the current shaders. My fear is the GPU processing required for PBR, and I think we all agree what t
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2014 18:06
I think this will benefit all: Very educational, and usefull.

http://artisaverb.info/Scripts.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MU3M6xqhe4&list=PLsycjeNP6l26RL1JYz_3aUXEVKSt1X5TZ

For those who cant afford quixel suites or substance designer. Works with photoshop only.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 13:25:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 13:25:51