Product Chat / Warning !Do not paint terrain with shift key

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 3rd Jun 2014 22:01 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2014 22:07
After testing, I finally figured out, what is causing my 1.006 maps not to work correctly in 1.007.

I appears lowering the terrain, with the largest brush on all 4 edges of the map while holding down shift key at all times will result, in AI not working correctly in 1.007 or 1.006, was able to recreate the issue twice now, it is possible that it will also cause problems on other areas of the map as well, this applies both to raising and lowering.

Removing rather lower or raise your terrains without the shift key. Painting terrains with the shift key may also result in way points shifting as well.It is very possible the terrain moves out of bounds.

There is no fix for it, lee has been made aware of this however. :p

However a quick tip to get rid of way points and markers on a map even entities.

In order to remove entities and markers from a map follow the steps Below (winrar is required)

Goto files\levelbank\testmap and delete all the files in there except the txt file "temparea"

Open reloaded and load the map

Goto Files files\levelbank\testmap delete map.way and map.ent and map.ele files(Delete only map.way for way points and the other two for entities.IMPORTANT if you have markers on your map you will have to delete them first, or else your map will crash. Using this method is to remove way points or markers that can't be selected or has shifted from their original place, however you still need to delete the white marker from the marker(s) in order for every thing to work correctly.You don't have to delete them if you remove all 3 files as the will automatically be delete as the white marker is considered an entity.

Highlight all files, and by right clicking winrar will provide and menu to archive files, select add to archive

Select zip, in the file name you will see it shows testmap.zip delete the zip and rename testmap.fpm, this will allow you to create a new temp FPM file.

Open the newly created FPM, and again go to files\levelbank\testmap and delete all files except the text file.

Now the save map under a new name, and open it again Goto files\levelbank\testmap and confirm the three files you have deleted have been rebuild.

Note temp FPM can't be run with the missing files it will result in a crash, you can't use this method to replace the map.way or others files to create a new temp FPM it will also result in a crash.

Don't delete any other files other than the ones mentioned, any other file will result in a corrupt FPM, also note that you do this at your OWN RISK, it always advisable to save under different names, to keep your original FPM file in tact, also have back ups in case some thing goes wrong.Nothing is fool proof
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jun 2014 22:44
Forgive my ignorance, but what does the shift key do when painting terrain? I've been using left mouse button to raise terrain and right mouse button to lower terrain, but I didn't know there was a shift functionality.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.007
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2014 22:59
Shift key speeds up painting
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2014 23:02
The shift key increases the speed. So, if you are moving and raising a large section, you can move across the map faster. I use the shift key to mover around areas of the map, and when zooming in or out. Sadly, it dont seem to allow you to raise objects any faster as nice as that would be!

Case: Antec 900, Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, CPU: AMD T1100 Thuban 6 core @3300 ghz stock settings, COOLER: Thermaltake Frio, MEM: G Skill Ripjaws X series DDR 3 @ 1866 9-10-9-28, HDD: 2 Western Digital caviar Black 750 Gb set in RAID 0, GPU: Saphire HD 6950 flashed with 6970 bios, PSU: Corsair CX750M, MS: Cyborg Rat 7, KB: Logitec G510, OS: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jun 2014 23:22
Quote: "Shift key speeds up painting"

OK, thanks.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.007
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2014 14:26 Edited at: 4th Jun 2014 14:26
Just to assist me from a major disapointment.. what happens to my stage if I had no waypoints/enemies in v1.006 and maybe I happened to paint some terrain using shift.. maybe not a lot but some during the course of my month of making the level... does that damage anything?

I am asking because after all this time I am JUST starting to plan the AI/major scripting. Will I be having a problem doing these tasks in 1.007?
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2014 14:41
Quote: "Just to assist me from a major disapointment.. what happens to my stage if I had no waypoints/enemies in v1.006 and maybe I happened to paint some terrain using shift.. maybe not a lot but some during the course of my month of making the level... does that damage anything? "

I used a blank terrain to test, using shift, without and with entities and way points, using shift results to the same problem.

Actually went a tried to paint the terrain back, however it now just gets stuck as calculating AI obstacles..hopefully I can report back on the hot fix if problems have been resolved, or future versions ect.
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2014 15:47
Tbh I thought the terrain painting is fast enough, it's a mix of precision and speed.

GPU: GTX 660, CPU: i7 3770 Intel 3.40ghz x4, PSU: 650 Watt, RAM: 8GB DDR3, OS: Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
PM
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2014 16:53 Edited at: 4th Jun 2014 16:54
@wizard of id, currently I am @ 3:00 minute AI obstacle times before it loads.. have you left it there?
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2014 18:02
Nope will try again, tomorrow when I have the energy
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 01:30
In the V1.071 hot fix we have improved AI OBSTACLE build time considerably, and new tree collision updates for the Veg Packs are on there way soon!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
@LeeBamber I cannot work on my level much any more until that obstacle patch.. am I just wasting time or will it come out before the comp end date?
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2014 12:38
It should be out today, remember to update your trees from the store too when those are released

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2014 12:58
Okay now that, 1.071 is released I can confirm, the problem has been resolved, with old maps, AI should now correctly work.However I still need to test if shift breaks any new maps or not, bit busy with the final touches on my comp level. After which I will do some testing.
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
I feel like the AI is trying to tell me something. When I place an enemy with or without a waypoint he just turns around and starts "walking away from it all" the way off the map. I am not even going to bother testing this on an empty map. I am SURE this is because of a previous glitch and I am SURE now I am screwed.

Man it was so good today too with the update. Anyway so unless my comp has a chance with no enemies I do not see me having anything.. damn!!!!!!!
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2014 18:02
@BarZaTTacKS

I suggest following the instruction in the first post step by step, just removed the way file, it should work if it doesn't you are welcome to send it to me and I will fix it for you.
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2014 18:13 Edited at: 10th Jun 2014 19:12
I decided that whatever was making the AI run to that specific spot had to be a hidden waypoint or something I could not see. So what I did was level all the terrain in the direction that the AI was running down to the bottom (so it is black) and then saved and ran the level again and BAM the AI ran in the right direction!! I guess when you level to the absolute bottom it disables anything that goes underneath minimum.

EDIT: its partially fixed.. they follow the route but every few seconds they turn around as if being called by another distant way point.. I might have to try your procedure.

What sucks is that I do not see any waypoints.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2014 18:51
Lol of course you have to use my method tried and trusted, got my comp level working again
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
I just did your method and he still does the same things.. keeps twitching back and forth, moving at what seems to be slow mo and eventually keeps walking away into the water and disappearing.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2014 19:17
Okay do me a favour either send me the map, or do the following.

Increase to biggest brush size, raise the terrain just above water at the edge of the map, then paint with fixed level brush all the way around save under a different name and try again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 16:49:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 16:49:08