Product Chat / AMD releases RAMDISK, increased my FPS in the creator by like 40 fps.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2014 06:18 Edited at: 30th May 2014 14:08
http://www.radeonmemory.com/software_downloads.php

Freeware allows you to make a 4gb memory drive. This thing flies in game!! The only thing it did not speed up was the AI obstacle. I wish I had more memory cause I would buy the higher versions!!

I was getting 45-60 fps before and I am getting over 70 - 100 now.

This works by you alloting any system memory you may have to make a "disk." I then installed FPSC on to that 4gb memory disk and tested it. Doing this shows you truely how much we are actually limited by the speed of our storage devices. I am typically running FPS on TWO Samsung SSD 840's in RAID, so I am already setup for speed and this STILL amazed me. Imagine how you will feel coming from a typical HD.
PM
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2014 15:07
Id love to try it out but my TGC folder is over 10GB. Might try it with something else instead. Thanks for the info though. It looks great.

Case: Antec 900, Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, CPU: AMD T1100 Thuban 6 core @3300 ghz stock settings, COOLER: Thermaltake Frio, MEM: G Skill Ripjaws X series DDR 3 @ 1866 9-10-9-28, HDD: 2 Western Digital caviar Black 750 Gb set in RAID 0, GPU: Saphire HD 6950 flashed with 6970 bios, PSU: Corsair CX750M, MS: Cyborg Rat 7, KB: Logitec G510, OS: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
PM
Sparrowhawk
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2014 01:03
Looks interesting, personally I'm always wary of messing with the way system components work (e.g. RAM to RAMDISK) I'd rather not suddenly come across issue later!

Mac Pro 2014, Windows 8.1 Pro, OSX Mavericks. 3.7Ghz Quad Xeon CPU, Dual AMD D500 GPU's (6GB GDDR5 VRAM), 12GB System RAM, 512 GB PCI-E SSD
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2014 20:56 Edited at: 1st Jun 2014 21:08
That's very strange, because the hard-drive should never be accessed during gameplay (except for loading/saving a game). All should be pre-loaded during build-time.

It sounds like your system is getting bogged down by overindulging in virtual memory (that's always been a buggy part of Windows). Try disabling it in the Windows settings, and see if that fixes it (without the RAMDISK). I disabled virtual memory on my system some time ago, and it's run better ever since.
PM
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
@The Tall Man Thanks for the advice, I never thought it was actually using the page file. And if it is then wouldn't that mean I need it? Anyway I disabled it and I will see if it does any better. Thanks!
PM
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2014 23:37
Not necessarily. I've found that Microsoft uses that pagefile more because it's there than because it's needed.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2014 03:04 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2014 03:07
How does this affect someone playing your game, will it run fine on your comp and crawl on another?

If so, I doubt anyone wanting to play your game will be interested in going through this process.

Woah! where did the store thingy come from?

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2014 14:18 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2014 14:19
Well it does not mean anything for people without it. Treat it the same as if you upgraded from a HD to a SSD. If you are just getting barely 60 fps on brand new tech then maybe your game is too much. This is nothing new, just easier to do now. This would improve your user experience AND actually if I can run a game on my hardware I plan on people who have my hardware and above to enjoy it. Games are not a necessity so I wont design mine so everyone can enjoy it on max settings.. I'd rather design it so that the people that can actually run it at a minimum of how I run it will enjoy it.
PM
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
It won't have any impact on playing the game unless the game is constantly reading from storage (which games generally don't, apart from initial loading of assets), although I'm surprised it gives the editor any FPS boost. I guess it must be reading from storage every frame?

A virtual HDD is a good idea if you have the extra memory. Or you could buy an SSD which isn't quite as fast but can store more.
PM
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2014 03:16
My experiences with the RamDisk application:

Using a drive made with this increases your memory usage dramatically. My rig was running at 13.9 GB of memory usage at idle! I can see it being useful if you have massive memory , I dont. I only run 16GB so this eating up 13.9 alone was a bit ofa problem. I didnt have to make such a large drive but go big or go home right? I also could not seem to find anything I ever stored on the image so it was useless to me.

I am a very blunt person. I have NO filters in communication. I say exactly what I think and feel. If you think im being abrasive, its probably a personal problem because usually, Im not.
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 09:35
Razer Game booster also gives you more fps also cuts load time for me at least

http://www.razerzone.com/gb-en/gamebooster

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 19:01:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 19:01:23