Product Chat / Ai_Soldier not follwing waypoints or path at all

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2014 05:46
has anyone worked out why when you place a soldier down and a waypoint path, he just stands there, i have even placed the soldier on top of the first waypoint in the path and he stands there and doesnt patrol

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
Auger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2014 06:18
Just did a small test with one character and square patrol route, AI_soldier and he followed the patrol route. So maybe your file is corrupt.

Auger
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2014 06:44
OK cool I now have no computer for a week or so. So will have to try when I'm back online

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 30th May 2014 08:26
There seems to be a problem with version 1.006 and earlier FPM's, when brought in to 1.007.

This has been reported to Lee.I spend most of last night trying to figure out if it due to corruption or a bug, I have come to the conclusion it is a bug.

I have a high detail map and a lesser detailed maps, from 1.005 1.006.Creating a map in 1.007 it works, with grass, flat terrain, sloped terrain, and with walls.

I have taken my map, which was saved in 1.007 and added a piece of flat terrain in the far right hand corner of the map.Added a player start marker and an AI waypoint, it refuses to follow the way point. Pending direction the AI is facing it will simply just walk off in that direction.This map had previous way points.I went to back to 1.005 version and a 1.006 and removed all way points and saved the map before opening it in 1.007

Even migrated a map from 1.005 to 1.006 and opened in 1.007, same result AI simply refused to follow a way point.

AI behavior is similar to what it was in 1.006 simply wandering off in which ever direction and gets stuck in an entity or terrain, or climbs impossible slopes and vanishes over the horizon.

Lee first mentioned that it might be the result of FPM corruption, having done extensive testing I can officially confirm it is a bug.

Lee does have an FPM file I have provided him, that has this problem, it remains to see however if Lee will address it as a lot of these maps are comp entries.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually this was what prompted my thread on a "Ghost Mode " because I did not think they were doing as they should...but I have done other checks.

I found if I place 4 Npc's on the map each with a small waypoint pretty close together two of them seem to start following the path instantly....I then found I had to move slightly closer ( but not in their vision radius ) the other two would start walking ?

I have tried this many times and it seemed to work although im guessing it should not happen it may be that it does work that way...

In the "Get to the river" there seems to be one Npc behind the hut that does not appear till you get closer although you are still not in his visual range.

Perhaps it is supposed to work that way ?
PM
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2014 10:42
Waypoint following has been buggy for me too, at times it works like a charm then others the entity just stands still. Using the latest version of FPSCR.

GPU: GTX 660, CPU: i7 3770 Intel 3.40ghz x4, PSU: 650 Watt, RAM: 8GB DDR3, OS: Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
yh i remember finding that out when trying to make a wave defense type game with 1.006, the AI just dont execute until you are within range - i'm guessing this is a performance thing, i.e. they want to reduce the amount of AI being run and by only running it when you are "nearby" is logical - it just isn't always pretty when you can see them standing around in the distance, if you have a built up map with hills and trees etc i dont think this will be such an issue.

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2014 19:04
Either way, my map is ruined, down the drain.I have to start all over, hardly happy, oh well, still have enough time to create a similar looking map, a 2 weeks map isn't nearly the same as a 3 week map.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@wizard of id

Glad your going to try again mate ... the only advantage is you already have it all in your head... Knowing exactly what your doing may make it quicker to re-create ?
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2014 22:18
Hardly Spend about a week just shaping the terrain.Carve, shape, raise, lower, rinse and repeat.

Which is why I am so annoyed, Was working non stop, I am tapped, now I have to start all over again, not exactly happy, about that.What is worse, I have been dealing just with bugs during the whole period, not the minor stuff, all seriously hampering bugs.

Forced to save every few minutes, restart during test games to make sure it doesn't crash.

I did however notices there is massive FPS difference between FPM and beta's at first I thought it was some thing I did, however seems each beta FPM compatibility is worse or a whole new set of problems.

So I really couldn't be bothered any more.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2014 23:53
Remember folks this is a BETA, and compatibility with older data structures and file formats are always going to be a dangerous area. Save early, save often, and never keep just one copy of your level and overwrite it with the latest BETA version save. Always keep a previous version of the software if you are working on a competition entry and ensure you are in control of your development, not the betas! Fortunately Wizard has kindly agreed to join the alpha testers so we can identify and solve his level issues.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2014 18:03 Edited at: 10th Jun 2014 18:13
I feel like the AI is trying to tell me something. When I place an enemy with or without a waypoint he just turns around and starts "walking away from it all" the way off the map. I am not even going to bother testing this on an empty map. I am SURE this is because of a previous glitch and I am SURE now I am screwed.

Man it was so good today too with the update. Anyway so unless my comp has a chance with no enemies I do not see me having anything.. damn!!!!!!!

EDIT: UPDATE!!

WOOO HOOOOO I FIXED IT!!

I decided that whatever was making the AI run to that specific spot had to be a hidden waypoint or something I could not see. So what I did was level all the terrain in the direction that the AI was running down to the bottom (so it is black) and then saved and ran the level again and BAM the AI ran in the right direction!!
PM
Ravey
Retired TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 02:35 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 10:48
Hi guys,

For those having trouble with AI not following waypoints I have attached a newer version of the script that *should* solve the issue - I would be very interested to hear back if it works (or doesn't) for anyone (Please feel free to PM me for email addy).

Please note this is not part of a release or carry any kind of promise to work! I have just managed to reproduce the issue and think I have fixed it.

*PLEASE* back up the existing file first before replacing with this.

Dave Milton

TGC Team

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 04:22 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 07:29
I will try this right now. Thanks.

Edit: sometime later: Unfortunately this cause a hang up at the initialization physics of the test game, on my competition map, which is 1.006 originated. Windows reported that this program could not go on and wanted to send the report.

I canceled out of the engine. Made sure reloaded was closed. Replace back the original script. Launch reloaded, loaded the same map and it completed the test game.

Still my AI is running away from me towards the sun direction. they get to the end of land on that side and walk back and forth. Shooting at me when they see me, not shooting at me when I hide behind any thing, but never charging me and getting in my face.

These guys just can run thru anything, except terrain, They will not attach to the way points at all on my 1.006 originated map. And only once that I could get it to do it on a new map, then never again. I tried open waypoint of 2,3,4 points, I tried closed polyshapes of 2,3,4 point waypoints, still no avail.

But then I think what is the difference of the custom character. It too was originated on a 1.006 map. (After thought for below)

But the funny thing is that I am working on a costume character, with a 3dmax biped rig, named the closest I could get from the info from the xfile in fragmotion and then rebuilt in max.

I insert this guy into a new map and I cant keep him off of me. Go figure. So I am not going to sweat it to much. The contest map runs fine as is and a lot has been learned from this contest on both sides, TGC and the content creators of the forum.

I am sure this will all be sorted over time.

Will try your script in a new map with stock characters and stock everything and see if it crashes the editor or makes the AI more aggressive as wanted, and also make an honest attempt to not walk thru building and trees.

I believe that after the contest I will do a complete uninstall and reinstall of reloaded and updates and hotfixes, and store media to see if I get better behavior. Maybe that is all that is needed, but then the 'run to the river' map keeps getting added to and that map seems to run fine. Food for thought.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Unfortunately this cause a hang up at the initialization physics of the test game,"
Same for me. built in v1.0071.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
Ravey
Retired TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 10:49
Hi guys,

I have changed the attachment in my original post and posted it here too. This should work nicely.

Dave Milton

TGC Team

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sparrowhawk
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 11:33
Still having the issue in my level where they walk off at 90 degrees, tried Bulldozing a copy of the entire map to spot any obsolete waypoints, but couldn't find any. Sadly the new script Dave's provided hasn't helped the issue either for me.

Well, Bother*!

*Substitute swear word of choice

Mac Pro 2014, Windows 8.1 Pro, OSX Mavericks. 3.7Ghz Quad Xeon CPU, Dual AMD D500 GPU's (6GB GDDR5 VRAM), 12GB System RAM, 512 GB PCI-E SSD
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sparrowhawk, are you able to send me an FPM so I can look into this for you?

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Sparrowhawk
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 12:34 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 12:48
I can do, but it relies quite a lot on some extra media, will you need the entity bank directory as well?

Edit: When I say some extra media, I mean my entity bank is 6GB. I'm zipping it now in case you do require it

Mac Pro 2014, Windows 8.1 Pro, OSX Mavericks. 3.7Ghz Quad Xeon CPU, Dual AMD D500 GPU's (6GB GDDR5 VRAM), 12GB System RAM, 512 GB PCI-E SSD
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Had this same problem, I bulldozed all the land in a straight line in the direction they were running and they just started running another way in a straight line. I decided to take everything I learned in the past few months making that level and just make another in 5 days from scratch.
PM
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 07:58 Edited at: 14th Jun 2014 07:59
Hi guys, just spotted this convo and wanted to add a few ideas to try.

When working with a large water mass, try running some land to a far edge of the map area. Needs to be above water plane and any height is fine.

Much like classic, scripts can cause issues, when placing, editing and removing dont do it all in one go.

I have found the editor can remove, move, glitch and swap zones with each other. From various tests If zones are edited, save and close down the engine. Restart and continue. When rebooting u may or may not find an issue.

Hope this help. I will add more detail later. Cheers
PM
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2014 09:55
Update so with this new script i have no problem getting the charatcer to walk to the first point now but then he still doesnt follow the path, any idea's?

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
We have made some refinements to AI internally, and the waypoint issue appears to be fixed. We're stll testing, but I have high hopes that you will all see an end to this issue with the next release.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 12:59:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 12:59:14