3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Tree creation question?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone. Want ro create a tree and wonder how it is done that leaves are in no collision ant trunk has it. Just like small palm tree in editors foliage. Also what is a collisionmode=51 in fpe?

Sky. It's at my fingertips...

Webpage at http://skywriter.comuf.com
Skywriter
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone? I know it has to do with limb collision. I've read the faq and found out that collisionmode = 200x(where x is the limb number to make collideable) should make the trick, but it didnt worked on standart short palm tree nor on my made tree. Collisionmode 51 works on palm tree but doesnt work on my tree. So the question is what are the collisionmode's available in fpscr?

I have attached the files i'm working with. Maybe someone can look at them and solve this mystery

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2014 05:57 Edited at: 27th May 2014 06:34
In the doc folder of fps creator reloaded folder there is a file call Importing models into FPS Creator Reloaded.pdf. It has the collision mode setting and explanations.

Might be the way they put them together. The is another thread where someone was doing trees.

Here it is. They use the object importer, that we have no access to yet. It assigns collision to parts of an entity not the whole xfile.

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208299&b=1

Lee explains in last post.

I guess our workaround would be to make the trunk separate from the leaves and assign the collision to the respective parts and set them on each other in the map editor.

Another note: This is the information they give us from the store for making models to conform to reloaded. These are not is the doc file in your folder and may solve your issue. Take note on the Last paragraph as I fell it might be the cause of your issue.

Tree Collisions

The 'collisionmode' attribute in your entity FPE file can be used to define a highly efficient collision cylinder for trees. Since players will largely be colliding with the trunk, leaves and upper branches may not necessarily need to be used for collision. In these circumstances the tree collision modes may be useful. The collision cylinder has the added benefit of allowing the player to smoothly slide around the tree.

The collision cylinder is vertically aligned, as tall as the entire model, and is calculated automatically from the vertex data of the model. The modes map directly to vertex data locations and the system will use this small selection of vertices to calculate the cylinder.

The modes are the following:

•collisionmode 51 - Uses all vertices in the lower half of the model to calculate the radius of the cylinder. Ideal for averaging trunk width in simple trees.

•collsionmode 52..59 - Uses a 1/16th portion of the lower half of the model to calculate the radius. 52 is the uppermost portion and 59 is the lowermost portion. This is useful to exclude low branches or roots from the cylinder calculation.

E.g. If a model was 16 units high:

•collisionmode 52 would include vertices between 7 and 8 units high

•collisionmode 53 would include vertices between 6 and 7 units high

•collisionmode 54 would include vertices between 5 and 6 units high

•collisionmode 59 would include vertices between 0 and 1 units high

If a cylinder cannot be calculate from the vertex data, the collision cylinder will not be made and the tree will have no collision data. If you cannot find a mode which suits the geometry, collsionmode 1 (full polygon collision) should be selected.

Animation Note:

The system does not support models with animation in which the animation significantly scales the model. For the collision cylinder to be calculated correctly, the exported model animation must not have a scaling factor which makes it larger/smaller than the original non animated mesh.

------------------------------------------------------------------

It is best to model at a 1:1 scale for this stuff. The reason is simple. Collision is calculated on the true size of the model.

If you want your trees to be 25 feet tall, then scale them to 25 feet tall before you export them. You scale factor of 3000 would make the model very small in real life and since collision acts on the basis of thing being the proper size, this would explain your difficulty in getting this object to work as you want.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Skywriter
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks alot Myke. Thats alot of valuable info! I'll try to experiment with all this data.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2014 03:53
Your welcome.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 08:53:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 08:53:26