3rd Party Models/Media Chat / [LOCKED] DirectX Export Maya

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, I am in a bind....I only work with maya as that is what I am paying to learn in class right now so do not know blender and my modeling is done in Maya 2015 the issue is every model I make I can export and import into blender but the textures do not go with it even though the model and mesh are fine...so rather than try to find wierd work arounds I was wondering how to export to direct x via maya interface....I cant seem to find anything via google searches...any help from experienced people with maya would be appriciated or if there is ABSOLUTELY no way to export direct at least help bridge the model + texture from maya to blender (or other tool capable of direct x export) and yes I have checked my normals and uv maps....as a last resort if no one has any experience then maybe a crash course on texturing in blender....would hate to have to run every model twice but class is already paid for....
PM
jtownsend1190
Years of Service
User Offline
Just an update....I managed to get Maya to export to direct x using XExporter 4.5 MEL script as found here http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum//viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11666&sid=64f43130327d83983665cec9b8d89fc5&start=15 however in the entity workshop it appears distorted looking (model doesnt retain shape/mesh and no texture is applied however both material and texture where marked for extraction.....if nothing else from above, any advice here?
PM
jtownsend1190
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 09:02 Edited at: 21st May 2014 09:05
Update 2:

I am now done for the night but so far I was able to actually get a bit further....I used LithUnwrap from here [href=http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=198 ]http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=198 [/href] and was able to get a .x exported...and it even imported to entity workshop quit well, PROGRESS!!! however I have no other files to put with it, e.g. the diffuse, normals, specular, etc...for some reason that did not export...is that something I can rig up myself? I will keep updating as I go but please if anyone has a faster method of helping me share your knowledge.

EDIT:

Henery Ham you have been doing 3d modeling for some time...if you have knowledge please shine your light I am trying really hard to export these myself as you keep hinting to do this is why I said I don't really have time lol I knew it would be a hassle.
PM
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 09:51
Quote: "Henery Ham you have been doing 3d modeling for some time...if you have knowledge please shine your light I am trying really hard to export these myself as you keep hinting to do "

when you say texture have you just applied materials to your model as you did in your tutorial or have you uv mapped your model & created a texture from that ?

you really need to use the second method, here is a simple tutorial follow this & you should have all the info you will need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsIOXaM8ou8

Quote: " this is why I said I don't really have time lol I knew it would be a hassle."

it will be worth it in the end when you see your models in game

cheers henry

jtownsend1190
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 10:19 Edited at: 21st May 2014 10:20
Quote: "When you say texture have you just applied materials to your model as you did in your tutorial or have you uv mapped your model & created a texture from that ?"

No everything has full uv maps and the a custom material with texture applied...here are a few odd things..

1.) some programs including 3d object converter 5.3 can load the textures and map to uv maps with no issues (but dont have paid version so no good exports are avail)

2.) when trying to import into blender it has the proper material and even shows the texture file properly linked in the properties...but it will not display even if you click on change and re-select the file.

3.) Have checked normals and all is well

4.) Tried both triangulated and normal for obj importing to blender.

5.) as stated I now can get the model to show proper in entity editor via lithunwrap however since the texture are images I do not have any dds files...is there something I can do to change that?
PM
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 11:12
.dds is just a texture format like jpg You should be able to export your texture maps from maya straight to .dds

jtownsend1190
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ".dds is just a texture format like jpg You should be able to export your texture maps from maya straight to .dds"

kk I will try that tomorrow then, maybe between maya and lithunwrap I can get this all rolling lol it would be nice. I will update tomorrow.
PM
jtownsend1190
Years of Service
User Offline
never was able to find any documentation on dds export through maya....so I will be looking through rigging it in photoshop then applying in maya.
PM
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Man I first read this as "Hello, I am blind.." I was thinking to myself how int he world can he use Maya and be blind!?!?! lol anyway Ill see myself out.
PM
jtownsend1190
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Man I first read this as "Hello, I am blind.." I was thinking to myself how int he world can he use Maya and be blind!?!?! lol anyway Ill see myself out. "

Dont you know with amazing windows (ha) narrator I can get commands verbaly sent to me, like extrusion on obj pcube1 positive y axis, +2.4 height added to value making total value 4.6 height.....lol nah but that would be an odd one non the less

for those still reading I havent played with the photoshop yet but if anything comes to mind to assist let me know.
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2014 03:07
I use NVIDIA Texture Tools with Photoshop (free) and then i set up batch processing so all you do is 1 key say F2 so its just load 1 key convert.

Hope this helps

http://vandaengine.com/using-batch-processing-to-change-file-format-of-images-in-photoshop/

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
jtownsend1190
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I use NVIDIA Texture Tools with Photoshop (free) and then i set up batch processing so all you do is 1 key say F2 so its just load 1 key convert."

so forgive me if I sound stupid but (extremely new to direct x) but how does this work, e.g. in the tutorials for the direct x .dss it makes a few files not just one, will this method make all the .dss as well or does this matter?
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2014 02:37
For a model you need 5 files the .X the FPE file & the _D _N _S texture files the plug in will make the _D _N _S files but you need to change the settings for the normal and spec.

http://tgcstore.net/admin/?md=upload-guide-chapt3

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
jtownsend1190
Years of Service
User Offline
So off and on I have been messing with the photoshop plugin...based on here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zQLcNlU564 ... but even if I get it working which one would I use to texture my model in maya?
PM
jtownsend1190
Years of Service
User Offline
This post can be closed or deleted as it is no longer needed.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 00:51:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 00:51:42