Product Chat / Interview With Lee

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 01:25
Hi All,

I may be interviewed by Intel at the end of the month, specifically about indie development and the trials and tribulations of developing games and apps. They have asked me to reach out to this community to get some worth questions that you might ask if you where conducting the interview and keen to learn what makes indie developers tick. Submit the question in this post, and I can cut and paste them at some future point a few days before the interview. I will also send this forum link to Intel so they can watch the progress of the thread. To help with the inevitable cut and paste admin work, please refrain from comments and chat, just dump your questions in here and we'll pick a few good ones, cheers!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
question,

given the community desires and your own, how well do you feel reloaded will cope with these demands, in terms of functionality and performance by end of product development?.

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 01:57 Edited at: 21st May 2014 01:58
Question

I thought indies were those who were, as the name claims, independent. But then you have some games like The Cave, is that "independent"? It has a publisher, but people still call it indie.

So my question is in your eyes what defines Indie games and do you believe they should have publishers.

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 04:59
"What are you doing, that is different from your competitors (ie., Unity, UDK, etc.)? Why should a present-day Independent Developer choose to fund and/or follow your project, instead of simply starting with a more well-known and more robust game engine?"

"What is TGC doing to make selling at their Store as attractive as selling at a Competitor's Store (ie., Unity)? Are you going to improve the advertising you do for artists, who sell in the new Store; compared to previous years?"
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 05:19 Edited at: 21st May 2014 05:23
You have adopted a model of user involvement in the development of your latest product, what have been the pro's and cons of this so far and do you see TGC continuing this approach with other products?

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 21st May 2014 08:13
The most important aspect of any project be it programming or developing an actual game, is getting feedback from peers and users alike.

With feedback received on the latest project, has there been some thing that you have adopted that makes your development of the project easier.

In a tough indie engine market compared to other engines what unique features have you implemented or planing to implement that will have the project stand out.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 12:55 Edited at: 22nd May 2014 11:50
1) in other indie games their lighting effects are very well delivered, do you have a technique in mind to rival them? for instance legend of grimrock is from a small indie team who have very good graphics.and have great lighting effex.

2) as you mention lights attached to entities in the video of kickstarter, do you still intend to do this? as can be a big player in many peoples eyes, like throwing fireballs, flame throwers, swinging lights etc. flashlight is a great addition and i expect was to keep some quiet, but i want to know if you have a plan?

3) do you ever worry you can't achieve what you have said you can? in other words how confident are you on getting all you said to the pledgers, delivered?

in fairness this is a beta and you are delivering but, as it is an interview some very indie questions need to be given.

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
wildman4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 01:51
Do you anticipate Reloaded drawing some gamers back to pc gaming versus console gaming?

The cost of Reloaded is relatively inexpensive, how will this affect the future of the product and stability of the company?

What do you see as the features Reloaded will offer that makes it stand apart from competitors in the next 2 years?
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 02:19 Edited at: 22nd May 2014 11:19
given that reloaded is using dx9 a 12 year old tech what is the life expectancy of reloaded and will it be upgraded later to newer directx?

and if not why the choice in dx9 not 11?

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
How does being an Indie developer effect your personal life ?

1..Is Reloaded a 24/7 project or do you deliberately switch off evenings.

2..Even when your not working ( A Sunday maybe ) Is it to much to resist visiting your forums to see what the latest chatter is about..

3..Do you ever have a problem all day with the project and suddenly at 3 in the morning the answer has suddenly come to you....And you have had to get up to try it..

4..Dont you sometimes feel like ringing our necks
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 17:18
@synchromesh lol brilliant questions,

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
@synchromesh those questions are top class. If they do not get chosen I do not know what will.
PM
Slim Tonone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2014 00:12 Edited at: 23rd May 2014 00:17
Not for Intel Q & A! My questions were answered in the newsletter. Thanks anyway. Looks like 7 will open the gate!!!!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you remember any defining moment if any, when you decided to be a games programmer?

Have you made any games people would not be aware of in the past?

Is there any one developer/coder you think has most influenced games dev over the years?

If the gaming genie gave you one wish for Reloaded, what would it be?

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-30 20:40:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-30 20:40:24