Product Chat / A couple of things I feel need said

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2014 14:16 Edited at: 19th May 2014 15:01
I don't think at this stage of development you should be reducing texture resolution as default, a new user may assume that this is Reloaded's best visual quality, it also means all the work I do creating models with decent high resolution textures required for approval to the store is a waste of my time not to mention my reputation as an Artist is affected when someone buy's from the store, drops it in and sees the resolution halved and thinks this is my best work.

I understand it's for performance but it's something that should have an obvious setting like a slider, a field or whatever, not changed in setup.ini where it's hidden away.

Please store admins do not use untested, unreleased internal Beta's to preview models and media for approval to the store. These internal Beta's by TGC's own definition can be buggy, have features disabled or not working and I can't fix something only yourself and a select few others can see.

In fact if it's a new issue, a new feature not working properly or a new bug in a new Beta I don't see how I can fix it at my end at all. I know the issue you are seeing is caused by a new feature not working properly out of the box, the media you rejected was actually already approved and I made an edit to it as I simply forgot to check a field so it went back into the preview cycle and now looks bad (still works perfectly in V1.006), it's not at my end. At least I am aware of this, others might not be so fortunate.

I have come across this on a couple of occasions now and unsure since you rejected this media maybe I should withdraw from sale other similar media, previously approved, which will now have the same issue you are seeing.

I expect to maybe have to change some store media in future if a major change is made that requires me doing so but would prefer to keep this to a minimum so I am not going back and forward all the time fixing an 'issue' then finding the issue is fixed at the engine end then I have to go back and fix the 'fixed' media.....something like that

Stick to Beta's that everyone is using, those ones that have a bunch of bug reports you are aware of so we can both be looking at the same thing at least and on the same page

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 19th May 2014 15:00
+1

That said they set a high bar for the 3rd party artists, but have you seen the TGC stuff, I have seen seams, or bottoms of faces simple not uv map, items have been rejected based exactly on what TGC models fail in the first.

I expect if you g
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2014 15:35 Edited at: 19th May 2014 15:36
Ok so this issue needs to be addressed asap, I have 0 talent creating assests and I depend on these artist to make them so I can use it realize my game making dreams. I have not spent my last dollar on the store and plan to spend as much as needed in the future to make a quality product, please give the artists what they need as they are the ones that will make this engine look and feel at its best.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2014 16:30 Edited at: 19th May 2014 16:31
I've sent one model to try out on the store. Free, I don't think it good enough to sell. it was rejected. Fair enough I thought, silly errors on my part. Re submitted after fixing, unapproved. Due to texture quality. Again, I am aware this is not the greatest model or texture on the planet I haven't had time to look into improving the texture as yet, as it was only a test for a free item and I have been busy on other things.

I always assume people testing these things would have everything set to full detail, but possibly not :0

I include a picture of the model I attempted to get on. I did have a better quality one done, but managed to lose it when uninstalling old versions of FPSC, that annoyed me lol. Still I should remember this happens, too late now, will have to spend another couple of hours tweaking again I suppose.

It seems silly that an object once approved then gets rejected? Perhaps it's like Apples approval process lol? Dependant on their mood.. I'm surprised that any of Rolfy's work is being rejected though.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2014 17:00
Hi Guys, I've just been sent a link to this thread. If you feel you're not getting the right feedback from the store approval system, please email me directly so I can investigate to ensure the process works for you. Also a list of issues in our stock assets that do not meet our quality standards would be useful too, which you can send to the store admin for further action. It's vital that the store rejection system is 100% clear on why the item was rejected so artists can make rapid corrections and re-submit.

I also agree completely that the approval process must be conducted with the public beta (right now V1.006) as this is the only version most artists have. If you find you have been rejected because it does not run in the latest internal alpha, then again please email me directly.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
If a model is intended to be free then why not just have a "Free Section" that is not as strict ?

A simple " Note these models have not been fully quality controlled in reloaded by TGC " or similar would be ok surely ?

I am only referring to models intended to be free by the creators of course
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

As always, we've taken your comments on board. I will now be testing all media on a different machine which will only run the latest official betas.

Quote: "A simple " Note these models have not been fully quality controlled in reloaded by TGC " or similar would be ok surely "

I think we feel that quality control is an absolute must for the Reloaded store, and something at even free store media must adhere to. We have the Free media board for any user who wishes to post free media without going through the store process.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2014 18:37
One other thing I'd like to point out, is that media shouldn't have issues when moving from one version to the other. This happened ALL THE TIME in Classic. For example; I had a few items from Bond (which I purchased as part of an official pack). I created the level in 1.17; then switched to 1.18, because I was using EAI's characters (1.18 was "required", in order to run them properly). When loading your levels into a future version; simple things like geometry, diffuse/spec/normal/etc. textures....shouldn't be affected. 1.18 had a major AI update; it shouldn't have affected static media the way it did (things were glowing, where they didn't before). It's why I eventually abandoned the project, after I was told that I should develop my level/game in the version I started it with. That would make sense if I was going from a version 1, to a version 2. But I wasn't, and it shows how Classic never fully became what was envisioned, or advertised. Sure; people made games (some successful) in Classic, but it was usually do to the work they did to the engine (source mods) and not what TGC added/fixed.

I understand some scripting may be obsolete from version to version; but media should never have issues. Customers are just going to get frustrated when something doesn't work, after they upgrade to the latest version/alpha. Then, as Rolfy eluded to, the artist is going to be expected to "fix" their media in order for it to work in the latest flavor of the engine.

As far as the media coming with ReLoaded; there are more than a few issues with texture stretching, seam errors, etc. So I can totally understand artist's frustrations with the vetting system in place. It would put me off as well.
PM
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2014 18:49
Quote: "I don't think at this stage of development you should be reducing texture resolution as default, a new user may assume that this is Reloaded's best visual quality, it also means all the work I do creating models with decent high resolution textures required for approval to the store is a waste of my time not to mention my reputation as an Artist is affected when someone buy's from the store, drops it in and sees the resolution halved and thinks this is my best work.

I understand it's for performance but it's something that should have an obvious setting like a slider, a field or whatever, not changed in setup.ini where it's hidden away."

i agree ,a simple slider with say 3 settings would be best low medium & high.it could sit right above or below the shader options

cheers henry

Super Clark
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2014 18:55 Edited at: 19th May 2014 18:58
I personaly have decided to hold out now from making any new items

for reloaded engine and also I am not even attempting making games

to 'Sell' while Reloaded is in 'Beta' as anyone who was going

to buy a sub par quality incomplete quality game that has currently

limited Characters not to mention the constant changes to be comming

in future.

Why I refuse to enter the comps for a GFX card or Store Points,

Personaly my 2p worth The money for these items can be spent better

on making Reloaded better than waisting the pledged money on

comps created with beta versions.

I am going to wait to see how things go now with Reloaded and see what

the 'First Fully Released' Non Beta has to offer and then decide what

to do.

rolfy < respect your veiws totaly, thank you for putting your points forward.
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

We'll be monitoring this and the store threads carefully to make sure we can deliver the service you want to receive. If any artist has any issues with the store, or the reports that they receive back, please contact me and I will make sure your concerns are addressed as far as is possible.

I agree we could make the reporting clearer and I will be looking at all of the automated replies as well as the additional information I give to ensure a clear and transparent response.

I already plan to expand the guidelines on sound and music in the next couple of days and will be reviewing the model section as well.

If there is any additional information any artist needs or would like to see added to the online guide, please let me know.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 19th May 2014 19:02
Quote: "That said they set a high bar for the 3rd party artists, but have you seen the TGC stuff, I have seen seams, or bottoms of faces simple not uv map, items have been rejected based exactly on what TGC models fail in the first."

+1

I was thinking the same thing. I've seen issues in media provided as stock items such as the rocks. They have some poorly mapped textures where you can see stretching and seams very easily.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.006
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2014 20:11 Edited at: 19th May 2014 22:08
I really didn't want to stir things up with this and I am sure the Admin is aware he needs to set texture quality to '0' when viewing but mistakes are made on both sides when it comes to media. I respect the Admins decisions but don't want to be penalised for engine changes or errors and made to jump through hoops when its not something I can fix at my end.

My only issue with texture quality applies to both the Reloaded product and my media being viewed in a bad light by users who may not have a clue why it's appearing as it is. We are all in the same boat with this when aiming for high quality so it doesn't make sense to trash it.

I am over any distinction between stock media and 3rd party as in recent times I have become aware of how others can find issues I myself and the store Admin may miss, it is inevitable that someone will find something wrong with it and this may turn out to be endless. If it's an obvious error then it should be corrected but we all have to draw the line somewhere with 3d modeling and texturing which in my view cant be perfect any more than any Art created in any media or form using the human eye.

I find minute measurement even in a top end modeling package can be flaky at best so I don't do models I do sculptures

It's really hard when your struggling to be innovative with an incomplete engine and don't believe the myth that computers are completely accurate when the software is written by human hands and minds.

I understand how people feel when told you must have it perfect and then it's natural to point and say "well thats not...so how is that in there" it's like music where a band feels their stuff is as good if not better than other stuff released and can't understand why theirs isn't good enough for the record industry, sometimes it's the flip of a coin or sheer luck. Being in the loop and getting your stuff out there and accepting criticism is where success lies and I believe in the system you guy's are putting in place as it helps me achieve what I aim for. In exactly the same way as this is working for you with Reloaded itself.

Things will slip through or not, if it's obvious and it's mine I would rather be told so I can make it better, it's what appeals to me about the store now is that this is being done.

Quote: "As always, we've taken your comments on board. I will now be testing all media on a different machine which will only run the latest official betas."
Thank you

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 01:25 Edited at: 20th May 2014 21:22
You also cant dismiss the individual style of the artists themselves. Not all game developments have exactly the same "look". I may like oranges, while you like apples. But that does not mean you should toss all the oranges away. Skyrim, vs. Doom3 for example. The textures, and models are done completely different to achieve a different look, and feel of the 2 totally different environment types.

I believe it would be a big mistake to set too narrow a margin of what is good or not. To do so, would greatly limit developers' ability to create new ,and unique game environments. Da Vinci, and Picasso were both considered Masters, yet they're individual styles made them unique, but were worlds apart.

Not everyone likes the same thing!

All technical issues aside, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there needs to be more than 1 individual with a certain taste, and standards, calling the shots.

I've seen many developments over the years in classic using my media, and many more that did not. Some like my work, others don't. And it would be totally "wrong" to take sides one way or the other because it does, or does not appeal to one or two select individuals assigned the task of quality control.

Well, that's my 2 cents fellas. No offense intended toward anyone, just making what I feel is an important point, that should not be overlooked.

Your pal, Cosmic.

Back from the Wasteland.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Personally, with my desk I found the comments fairly fair. I agreed in the main, I had already made a better map, but managed to lose it in an unistall, so it came as no real surprise. It all helps improve quality in the store. I can certainly see why TGC are fairly strict, as we don't want a bunch of low quality assets on there after all. I only posted my example up as, well, an example. Hopefully my next effort will be better!

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2014 02:27
@tomjscott : In V1.007 we have re-textured and improved all the stock rocks.

@all : Please let me know what else in the stock library is sub-par and not adhering to our own high quality bar for the store? Thanks!

PC SPECS: W

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-30 09:23:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-30 09:23:45