Product Chat / How do I add to or change the default rock and path textures?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 16th May 2014 05:32
I want to create roads/paths with cobblestones and I would like to use my own rock texture.

In the editor, you can paint paths and rock - how do I find those files so I can change them to my own textures?

Is it possible to have multiple textures to choose from when it comes to both of those? Right now it seems there is only one choice for each - very limiting.

In the future, it would be very cool (and useful) to have a texture/material system to create custom textures in the editor.

Mike

YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow this would be really nice. It would be perfect to have an option menu to select the texture so you can instantly place it. Good idea!
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 16th May 2014 15:16 Edited at: 16th May 2014 15:18
I have done it before

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208065&b=8

Very simple actually

1. A seamless texture ( texture should be the same size as the one as you are planning on replacing)

2. Load in gimp, make sure you have the dds plugin installed

3. Export as DDS with compression DTX5 alpha exponent

4. Back up terrainbank folder.

5. Rename new texture with one of the older and replace it

Will be doing the same for my comp entry, need cobble stones as well :p
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
@wizard of id so with this process we can essentially have two different new textures at once while losing the two other textures? But we cannot have MORE than two textures on any level?
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 16th May 2014 15:32 Edited at: 16th May 2014 15:39
You can replace all the desert textures for example. I haven't added a new folder, following the format of the other folders to see if the engine will pick them up, but I see no reason why it shouldn't, not sure if the terrain types is hard coded or not.

*Edit

Added a new folder, and reloaded picks it up and works fine.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm.. I do like this idea as default in the editor...

One thing for sure is it will add diversity to the look in all games rather than just using default paint, ground textures ...

I think you guys may be on to something really good here if Lee could implement such a thing
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 21:56 Edited at: 16th May 2014 22:55
You will find you have more than two textures to paint with if you use number keys 4-7 in terrain edit mode. Pressing RMB to paint will use the default texture giving you a total of five to paint with

You don't need to over write the original terrain textures, simply name them the same but put into your own folder in the terrainbank, they will show as a selection in test level along with the default.

You can make your own textures default by changing it in style.txt.

Although the textures must have the same naming convention they don't need to follow the format, you could make sediment a cobble path for instance (might have some weird results with raised terrain..lol) but does lead to some interesting possibilities with painting terrain textures.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 23:22
The current system is fixed to four terrain textures, choosing performance over texture variety. I have had a few ideas how I can improve this system to use a similar technique to texture splatting, which would effectively allow an infinite number of textures to be overlaid in the construction of your terrain paintings. This feature of course will have to wait until we complete the core work on A.I, performance, stability, reliability, compatibility and the myriad core enhancements that will turn the product from good to great.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 17th May 2014 04:17
Lee, it's already great. Amazing how great it already is.

Mike

YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 09:36 Edited at: 17th May 2014 09:37
Oh the default is fine as it is...I was thinking of "Select Brush " Browse to texture... sort of thing in the future

I think an option like that would be brilliant for custom terrain ..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-30 18:54:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-30 18:54:20