Product Chat / Sound Zone and Story Zone Whackiness

Author
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2014 18:10
Has anyone else experienced whacky stuff with using these markers? I've been having random issues where my zones are changing their original size, changing location, etc. Once I had a sound zone to play a wolf howling sound that moved halfway across the map and ended up playing when the player entered the zone. I've seen it where there looked like a phantom zone in a place where I didn't even place a zone, but all you could see was the outline and not the bulls-eye. Further up the map there was just a bulls-eye all by itself. Clicking on that made it suddenly back to normal and the phantom zone was gone. However, when clicking on one of the points to move it, another point from another zone about 50 yards away suddenly stretched out all the way to where the other zone point was. When moving the mouse to adjust the point, I was actually moving both points at the same time.

At first, it was just an occasional whacky thing, but now it is happening more frequently. Another zone I had near the top of the map suddenly decided to move itself somewhere else as well. I've been deleting all these zones and re-adding them when this happens, but eventually they start acting up again.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 22:13
If you can provide a step by step report which shows this 'shift' effect, and I can reproduce it, then I can fix it up for ya!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2014 22:23
Well, this is why I didn't report it in the bug forum because it's not a specific step-by-step procedure. I've just been working on my level every day and it keeps happening randomly after reloading the level.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 22:47
Well I'll keep an eye out for it happening here but when you spend so much time writing a thing you don't really want to be the person testing it as well. I think subconsciously the coders brain tiptoes around the well buried issues..

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2014 23:17
When I have a little spare time I'll try to see if I can reproduce this on a simple test level by doing various things. However, I know how these things can be as I'm a software engineer myself and deal with bugs all the time.

My advice on this one would be to just do a code review of these particular entities and look for uninitialized variables, return codes not being checked for, and various other black box stuff to verify the code is working as expected. However, if no one else is reporting it then that kind of leaves this as low priority I would imagine.
Slaur3n
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2014 21:04
Happens to me too. PLacing sound zones and playing the game works. But afterwards if i select a zone its messed up. When i played a second time the win zone was instead of a sound zone, and sounds where playing in wrong zones.

ive attached a image. If i select a zone this happens.
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
I have had the same issue.. major reason why I do not use them because it super bugs me to have stuff on my map that is incorrect or not working.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2014 22:28
Yes we got that once, but could not reproduce it again. Can you provide me with a step by step on how to 'mess up' the waypoints like you did in the shot, thanks!

Slaur3n
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2014 22:50
I placed various sound zones in the map.

I saved the map or played it.

Then most of them change sounds or/and get strange like in the picture.

When i placed the zones where i wanted them, I saved and created a exe file, it works fine in the standalone.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 02:07
Fixed for the next release - it was waypoints joining together

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 15th May 2014 02:11
@Lee, awesome news. I hope my waypoints hold up until then so I don't have to recreate them over again. So far they have been behaving lately.

Are we going to have a way to set the rotation of an object through LUA scripts in next release?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 02:25
No, the nearest is RotateToPlayer but that only works for character not simple entities. If anyone else 'NEEDS' rotation commands, now is the time to post as we only have a handful of dev days before the release testing starts.

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 15th May 2014 03:18
Quote: " If anyone else 'NEEDS' rotation commands, now is the time to post as we only have a handful of dev days before the release testing starts."

Please, guys, help me on this. How could you NOT need rotation commands? It's basic essential functionality for moving objects. Please chime in and let Lee know we need this.
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
im gonna say I need it, even though im not really sure why I do hahaha.. but please put this in it can only improve the engine for others im sure

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 10:11
I need rotation commands. I have modelled an unmanned turret that needs to follow the player once they are within 'range' and shoot at the player. I was going to use the standard NPC script and modify it*, but, due to lack of LUA commands, was unable to achieve my goal.

*When I say 'I' was going to do it, I actually mean someone else was doing it for me, as my scripting knowledge is poor at best.

Cheers

Jay.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I need rotation commands. I have modelled an unmanned turret that needs to follow the player once they are within 'range' and shoot at the player. I was going to use the standard NPC script and modify it*, but, due to lack of LUA commands, was unable to achieve my goal."

now I understand alittle better I do indeed need this scripting command ... please please add it for us lee m8

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 04:18 Edited at: 16th May 2014 04:20
Why is it always if any one else needs it. Its about producing a functional engine for those that have paid for the use of it. Its still in its infancy and need soooo much. 1 person asking for MORE functionality shouldnt be left to well, if every one needs it we'll do it. . . . Just do it! Some one needs it now, many others will down the road. Not so hard eh?

Case: Antec 900, Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, CPU: AMD T1100 Thuban 6 core @3300 ghz stock settings, COOLER: Thermaltake Frio, MEM: G Skill Ripjaws X series DDR 3 @ 1866 9-10-9-28, HDD: 2 Western Digital caviar Black 750 Gb set in RAID 0, GPU: Saphire HD 6950 flashed with 6970 bios, PSU: Corsair CX750M, MS: Cyborg Rat 7, KB: Logitec G510, OS: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
PM
RazorNet7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 02:44 Edited at: 18th May 2014 03:24
Just fix it..you do not need a step by step...All of these errors are common.

Sound Zone error. falling through map, and countless other errors... I only want to see Reloaded become great. I'm getting the feeling that the program is not as good as TGC think. Not in a bad way. I just think it's a big bite. Personally I'm quite disappointed. We need the construction kit and import functions without a doubt. Obviously many coding errors etc...

R7
RazorNet7
Years of Service
User Offline
Your testers should have picked up on some of these errors.

It's ruined my chance to enter the contest with a complete level.

with all these errors I'm not entering.

R7
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2014 01:49
@RazorNet7 : Let's focus on one 'error' and go from there. The 'step by step' ensures a few things when reporting a bug. First that we're talking about the EXACT SAME BUG, that the coder (me) can reproduce the same but that (you) are seeing, and that I do

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-30 20:11:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-30 20:11:49