3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Frap is here !

Author
User Banned
Posted: 5th May 2014 15:44
Finally got around to setting up an account, buying FPSC reloaded and getting one of my models into the engine. I found it a bit of a bll ache at first then it started to make sense having spent years working with UDK it was a little confusing at first having to copy an existing file and change the settings.

Currently waiting for approval but a recent model has been uploaded to the store with a few more to follow very soon, hope you guys like it and I look forward to see what you guys do with it.

[/URL]

Portfolio

My Blog

Available for weddings, bah mitz fers, funerals and freelance work.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 15:58
good to have you here mate

cheers henry

0Alemar0
Years of Service
User Offline
wow nice frap.you are welcome!
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Frap..

I know its early days for reloaded but how do you find it compares with UDK ?

I have tried UDK but not enough to be able to comment on its flexibility etc.
PM
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2014 08:51
How does reloaded compare to UDK ?

Its a bit like chalk and cheese to be hones so far, and this may be down to my limited use of reloaded a little clunky. I would prefer to edit a script within the engine itself instead of running of to note pad.

It took me a little while to work out that I had to delete certain files to update the script something which I feel could be better addressed if this could be done in the engine, also modifying an existing script for a model is a little funky where I would prefer a little set up program where I could drag and drop textures and properties or maybe use a slider.

So far all I have done is get one of models into the engine and run around it so its very early days for me and of course this is still in Beta so I assume the guys have a lot more work to do.

Portfolio

My Blog

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So far all I have done is get one of models into the engine and run around it so its very early days for me and of course this is still in Beta so I assume the guys have a lot more work to do."

Oh there is a lot more coming

Even with all the basic things you could do with FPS classic added to reloaded would make it awesome and this will surpass that easily..

Love your model pic... Once on the store im grabbing it
PM
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2014 20:48
I also have more to come ( A lot more ) but it does take an extortionate amount of time converting them to reloaded from model format to textures then setting up the script and checking etc. I am sure I will get quicker at it as I become used to the engine / workflow etc.

A taster of a few models to come

Portfolio

My Blog

MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 21:43
Wow

mk83 Productions

PM
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 22:11
Really, really good, I can't wait to see more of your work

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2014 00:19
Awesome work. Welcome.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Love all the Sci-Fi stuff.... Something we are definitely lacking
PM
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2014 09:00
Thanks for the warm welcome and for the generous comments its always nice to have ones ego stroked a bit.

I have encountered a problem with the model once I get it into a scene, for some strange reason the normal map does not display correctly where it does in Unity, UDK and Marmoset which has me a little stumped ( This has been verified by Henry Ham and he cant see what is wrong either, many thanks mate). So I will try another model tonight with a less subtle normal and see if I can get that working and hopefully I will be able to start getting my catalogue onto the store for you guys.

Syncro: I do have some more Sci-Fi buildings on the go so hopefully I will be able to feed your desire for them very soon.

Portfolio

My Blog

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2014 09:43
I've had this problem as well with normal maps, to the point where I've taken it off because it makes the model look really bad.

What do you use to make your normals?

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2014 19:57
I use a number of methods for creating my normal maps, this could be baking from a high poly to low, creating a height map and converting it in crazy bump if I need something quick and dirty or Ndo2 which I used on this particular model along with a bake. For giggles I have even drawn the normal in photo shop by hand though this was a simple model and wouldn't recommend it.

I am not sure it is something I am doing as I have had the model checked by someone who has far more experience of reloaded than me and he is seeing the same problem which I don't in other engines so it could potentially be a bug. If my next model does the same thing I may report it along with screen grabs from other engines for comparison. At the moment I don't know.

Portfolio

My Blog

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 11th May 2014 12:53
I think I got to the problem I was having with my normals, I was using Easy2Convert to convert all my textures to .DDS and this was saving them out at 80% detail thus destroying the details. Finally installed Nvidea tools into photoshop and all appears to work fine now.

Second building now in and uploaded to the store

How long does it take for an entity to be approved as it appears to take some time?

Portfolio

My Blog

Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 13:06
It takes way too long to have stuff approved apparently. Im quite befuddled by modeling as I dont have the time, energy and patience to learn to build models and what not like you guys so Im stuck at waiting for the "conkit" and the freebies plus the store but the store is slow. Ive seen a post about a back log of items to get approved yet havnt seen anything added lately.

Case: Antec 900, Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, CPU: AMD T1100 Thuban 6 core @3300 ghz stock settings, COOLER: Thermaltake Frio, MEM: G Skill Ripjaws X series DDR 3 @ 1866 9-10-9-28, HDD: 2 Western Digital caviar Black 750 Gb set in RAID 0, GPU: Saphire HD 6950 flashed with 6970 bios, PSU: Corsair CX750M, MS: Cyborg Rat 7, KB: Logitec G510, OS: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
PM
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 13:06
looking great mate

Quote: "How long does it take for an entity to be approved as it appears to take some time?"

they don't work weekends mate ,but normally same or next day.

cheers henry

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking great !!

I will purchase when available
PM
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Ill take one of each please..lol. Awesome to see yet another talented artist making way to the FPSC store. Until I fully learn to handle asset making you guys are my fav resource!!
PM
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 13th May 2014 08:53
Thank you BarZaTTacKS, modelling just takes practice and patience with a lot of it. Stick with it and post your work up and listen to the criticism and always push harder with your next model and you will get their.

Portfolio

My Blog

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 17th May 2014 18:09
Apparently I am not good enough for the store.

My models work in UDK/Cry/Unity/Torque and Urlicht fine but not in FPSC regurgitated.

Portfolio

My Blog

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 18:28
what were they rejected for mate ?

had loads of mine knocked back to so don't let it get to you.

cheers henry

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 17th May 2014 18:31
Quote: "Unfortunately, the overall quality of the model is below the standard that is currently accepted in the Reloaded Store.

Unfortunately, the overall quality of the texture applied to this model is below the standard that is currently accepted in the Reloaded Store."

Portfolio

My Blog

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 18:47
cant see that myself ,ive always been jealous of the quality of your work

cheers henry

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 17th May 2014 18:59
The respect is mutual buddie

Portfolio

My Blog

morphtactic
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 22:47 Edited at: 17th May 2014 23:25
@Frap :

I got this stupid idea that could be good.. I will pm you about it later.

what do you think was wrong with the models.....The explanation is not very specific ?

Or is the first quote telling you it hasn't been accepted..

And the second
PM
nomis3D
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Ibanez Iceman :)
Posted: 17th May 2014 23:52 Edited at: 17th May 2014 23:53
Hi,

Quote: ""Unfortunately, the overall quality of the model is below the standard that is currently accepted in the Reloaded Store.

Unfortunately, the overall quality of the texture applied to this model is below the standard that is currently accepted in the Reloaded Store."

"

I have the same problems...
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 00:40 Edited at: 18th May 2014 00:58
First off I am in no way involved in quality decisions made by the store admins.

But here's why some are being rejected. They look for a few things, laid out in the guidelines for submission.

Look real close at your model.

Mostly they will look for texture quality, if you can put your nose almost against it and still retain at least some quality then it's good. It looks fine from way back then you notice pixellating and blurring when closer then it's going to be rejected.

Before anyone gets frustrated by it, Reloaded now defaults to halving you texture quality, so change dividetexturesize=1 to '0' in setup.ini if checking your textures.

Texture stretching, there any number of reasons why uv verts can be misaligned, particularly when making rigging changes or late model additions or subtractions.

Holes, they prefer solid models, I know we all think in game model terms where a design with missing faces you don't expect to be seen are optimal but the store sells to many different designers who may not use your model the way it's intended. For instance, you might not think of the fact that users can now fly all around your model in edit mode and see those missing faces that you never intended anyone to see or errors you thought you had hidden away

It's a completely different ball game for Reloaded and we need to look far closer at our model quality before submitting.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Before anyone gets frustrated by it, Reloaded now defaults to halving you texture quality, so change dividetexturesize=1 to '0' in setup.ini if checking your textures."

Thanks for the reminder rolfy

I've been pulling my hair out for days trying to figure out why my free truck and ISO chassis models looked great in everything I tried it in but looked absolutely horrible in reloaded. Mine was set to 2 for some reason.

If a setting of 1 halves the texture does 2 half it again? If so, then that makes sense why my 2048 texture was looking like a bad 512. Now if I can figure out why all the parts that I smoothed look flat in reloaded I'll be a happy modeler again.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 03:03 Edited at: 18th May 2014 03:48
Quote: "I've been pulling my hair out for days trying to figure out why my free truck and ISO chassis models looked great in everything I tried it in but looked absolutely horrible in reloaded."
I think we all got caught by that one since there was no announcement of it being implemented, I am sure most users are being thrown as much as Artists here when looking at Reloaded 'out of the box' quality.

Quote: "Apparently I am not good enough for the store.

My models work in UDK/Cry/Unity/Torque and Urlicht fine but not in FPSC regurgitated.

modelling just takes practice and patience with a lot of it. Stick with it and post your work up and listen to the criticism and always push harder with your next model and you will get their."
Follow your own advice in this.No matter how good you are errors will be made, and missed, and this applies to all of us.

It doesn't matter if Unity store is less fussy about model quality, it is what it is, and if you want to sell through TGC then they are entitled to decide how high the bar should be.

Personally I am glad they have raised it, makes me try a little harder to ensure my own quality doesn't go downhill. In fact it just took a leap and I realise now how much I had let slip by before.

Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 06:29
Quote: "I think we all got caught by that one since there was no announcement of it being implemented,"

Say it aint so! They didnt say that this was happening. . . . ya, thats sarcasm.

Communication is a HUGE part of the future of this program. lets not have another failed attempt to making a game maker. I mean, its already behind in the times and advancements of any other engine! Yes, even at this stage of the development.

Case: Antec 900, Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, CPU: AMD T1100 Thuban 6 core @3300 ghz stock settings, COOLER: Thermaltake Frio, MEM: G Skill Ripjaws X series DDR 3 @ 1866 9-10-9-28, HDD: 2 Western Digital caviar Black 750 Gb set in RAID 0, GPU: Saphire HD 6950 flashed with 6970 bios, PSU: Corsair CX750M, MS: Cyborg Rat 7, KB: Logitec G510, OS: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't want to get off topic here, but maybe I should amend that to no announcement I saw anyway

Wish people would stop comparing the development of this engine to engines that have been in development for many years now with a far larger team working on them, there is no comparison at all

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 18th May 2014 07:28
Quote: "Apparently I am not good enough for the store.

My models work in UDK/Cry/Unity/Torque and Urlicht fine but not in FPSC regurgitated."

"regurgitated" That unfortunately will get no love me, I am not saying it in a bad way, simply saying venting anger against TGC and it's products, is not the right way to go about it.

As shown rejection was simple, for one I can see the specular map being a bit on the high side, yes they do reject if the specular is too high.They reject for missing faces, or seams, we all had models rejected, they took a stand on it, I think it's great, it means I have to sit down and create some thing awesome...

We all take it on the chin and move on, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :p
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 18th May 2014 12:24 Edited at: 18th May 2014 12:28
Ok, I apologise for my outburst caused by the frustration of having to wait another week for a very poor explanation and unhelpful reason for my model being rejected. I understand that TGC has a very loyal fan base and to make a post such as mine was in hindsight a little foolish on my part. Again I apologise profusely. This was the second time the model had been rejected the first time being that I had placed them in their own folder, and had to wait a further week which was extremely frustrating for me.

I completely agree that there should be a standard, having sold models on turbosquid and other where my models where lost in a sea of effluent selling for less than $1. When I look on the store under object help the is no mention of any specs the model should adhere to only specs for the thumbnails and images with a suggested price. If these do exist can someone point me to them as I have looked more than once and found nothing.

I had not modelled the underside of this model as I had not envisioned a flying building ( not sure if even I could get drunk enough to come up with that ) but I spent considerable time going over and over the model and all the details checking for problems, only to find out that this maybe the problem.

After reading through some of the posts on this forum last night I understand there is an issue with using scale in the models script that can play havok with normal maps and reading through some of the above posts the engine automatically halves the texture size which probably accounts for model being rejected on the textures, where do I reset this ? is it in the model script or the engine itself ? and probably more importantly WHY ?

I have not compared the engine to any other and have in fact refused to do so earlier in the thread, all I have said is that my models display correctly in other engines.

I am purely an artist and have no intention of making games and writing scripts etc. All I want to do is be able to bring my art into this engine and see what other people do with some of my work but I am beginning to feel like I am jumping through too many hoops which could be avoided if the information was sensibly published and available. Currently I am trawling through the forums trying to piece together the information I need instead of making the assets which I love to do and are needed by the store and uploading them to the store only to have to wait a week to try and achieve a goal where I have no idea where the goal posts are.

Portfolio

My Blog

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 14:21
on your seller page on the store items dropdown menu there is an upload guide have a look at aesthetic quality control mate,it may help you out.

cheers henry

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 18:21
If you wish to get detailed information on why your model has been rejected and how it can be improved you can send an email to store@thegamecreators.com and one of the store admins will reply back to you with help.

We are currently in the transition of changing the store admins so a response may take a while.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 18th May 2014 19:03 Edited at: 18th May 2014 19:15
Thank you guys I shall get in touch with them.

Thanks Henry, I missed that but it does not state that the engine will reduce the texture size by half which was causing my frustration in the model not displaying correctly and the probable rejection. I can remove that line from the ini script at this end but it does not remove it from a potential user meaning I will have to resize and rework the texture.

I will try and have a go with an old prop in the meantime which I have 3D printed so I know the geometry is good and see how I do.

Portfolio

My Blog

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 18th May 2014 20:21
Model uploaded, fingers crossed

Portfolio

My Blog

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 21:23 Edited at: 18th May 2014 21:57
I understand what your saying about texture reduction but we have to just assume that with new releases the admins remember to change this setting themselves when viewing models for approvals or some issues may be found where there are none. It had crossed my mind that this could happen.

TBH I don't think at this stage of development they should be doing this as default, as a new user may assume that this is Reloaded's best visual quality, taking away any advantage in quality approval that artists are meeting for the software.

It's something that should have an obvious setting like a slider or whatever, not changed in setup.ini where it's hidden away.

Quote: "I had not modelled the underside of this model as I had not envisioned a flying building ( not sure if even I could get drunk enough to come up with that ) but I spent considerable time going over and over the model and all the details checking for problems, only to find out that this maybe the problem."
Understood, but they can dig under it now

Think typhoon, your not in Kansas any longer Dorothy

Quote: "This was the second time the model had been rejected the first time being that I had placed them in their own folder, and had to wait a further week which was extremely frustrating for me."
Again understtood, but I believe this will settle down and it will be easier and quicker in future, the store is as much in development as the engine is at this point, be patient, your stuff is good and you will find a nice user base for your media, I love seeing what others do with what I create, they often do things I never thought of

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 22:14
@rolfy

I agree with you, I suggest posting somewhere that Lee can see (he doesn't look at the media boards) and I am sure something will be worked out.

Quote: "Again understtood, but I believe this will settle down and it will be easier and quicker in future, the store is as much in development as the engine is at this point, be patient, your stuff is good and you will find a nice user base for your media, I love seeing what others do with what I create, they often do things I never thought of"

It will become quicker there have been delays to the approval system when we have made changes. Scene Commander has become store admin now and once he has got the ropes the approval should be quicker.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2014 13:03 Edited at: 19th May 2014 13:16
Hi Fraps, I rejected your model because of some issues with the texture when very close. I believe I mentioned this, but if you or any artist needs more explaination please contact me via the store. Overall I was very happy but as has been stated, we are setting the bar very high for the quality of Reloaded media.

@Other artists, I will try and get through the dimishing back log by Wednesday. Once done, I should be able to look at most models within 24hrs (most likely sooner) and respond accordingly.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2014 13:08
Quote: "Understood, but they can dig under it now"

Must be one of the great secrets no one is willing to speak of.

I think Rolfy was referring to me when I mentioned how outdated the engine is and its capabilities at this stage of its development.

PM
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 22nd May 2014 19:44
I am totally confused now.

I have a model which I would like to place into the store but for some reason it is levitating above the ground.

The model is at 0,0,0 the pivot point is set at the base of the model but everytime I load it into the engine it is floating.

I use MAX 2010 with the latest Panda exporter, I have tried every setting and no matter what I do it will not appear correctly. Any ideas as I am now out of them having searched the forums, tried every setting known and even gone into and the .X file itself and I have no idea why it is doing it.

Portfolio

My Blog

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 20:36 Edited at: 22nd May 2014 20:38
Have you deleted .bin and .dbo files after making changes?

If that doesn't help you may need to reset xform and collapse the stack before export.

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 22nd May 2014 20:51 Edited at: 22nd May 2014 20:52
Stack collapsed and files removed. every setting tested and still no joy, even read a paper on .,x files and what each lines means and am still no closer.

Tried editable mesh and editable poly and still no difference, beginning to think it may be a curse !

Portfolio

My Blog

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 21:13
i had this issue i was using one of the box model fpes as a template & for some reason that was the problem try using a different fpe file & that should sort it

cheers henry

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 22:31 Edited at: 22nd May 2014 22:37
I would check below the model, it sounds like you may have a stray tiny face or even a vert sitting below the model which reloaded would use as the 'surface' when placing irrespective of the pivot, raising your model in editor.

Alternatively you could select the mesh alone and choose 'export selected'.

Oh! and as Henry says ensure there are no offsets being used in the .fpe.

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 24th May 2014 15:31
Cheers Henry that worked, was beginning to pull my hair out again

Portfolio

My Blog

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 25th May 2014 11:39
Ok, I may have finally got a couple of simple assets into the store (fingers crossed - now in a folder ) so I thought I would go for something a little more complicated.

I have two problems with this model.

The first is that despite changing the .FPE collisionmode = 1 I cannot walk inside the boat.

The second is that when I place it on any water it desides to perform a bloody jig often ending up the wrong way up and once even managed to end up balancing upright on the bow.

Portfolio

My Blog

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 20:07:05
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 20:07:05