Product Chat / Take Items Not Implemented?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 3rd May 2014 19:34
I have both the original FPS Creator and FPS Creator X10 and I remember that you can press the T key and pick up objects like boxes and crates and carry them around. Pressing the mouse button chucks them. I'm working on a game that requires the use of this feature, but it doesn't seem to be implemented. Pressing T doesn't do anything. Is this feature no longer available? Or is there another way to make this work?
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
looks like it'll be possible in the next update (coming in couple weeks)

in some form at least

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2014 01:58
We have chosen not to implement this feature for Reloaded (for now). It is not really used in games these days, except through gravity gun style manipulation. We have decided to go for an inventory style approach as our first 'carry around objects' implementation. I dare say with enough LUA commands you could create your own 'carry object' feature

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2014 02:18
That's disappointing. I saw a game made with FPS Creator X10 a while back that did some really cool things with moving objects around. I like the idea of having the ability to pick up a crate and stack it onto another crate in order to get up to a higher place that you can't get to otherwise. Or having the ability to grab an item that is acting as a support and causing a collapse or some other chain reaction using physics. Just chucking items around is cool as well. Like picking up an explosive barrel and throwing it down a hall and then blasting it. There are a lot of possibilities.

As far as having an inventory, that's great as well, but a completely separate thing really.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2014 02:31
We do like the idea of push, pull and lift though to allow things like stacking crates to reach a high point, so 'carrying' might make a come-back once more urgent matters have been addressed. However, if the community agree these built-in functions should come before inventory systems, then we'll be happy to oblige!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2014 02:35
To be clear, I am making no assumptions about the community's overall needs or priority. I'm just trying to make a game level and bringing up issues as they come. I think inventory systems are great as well. It just would have been nice to have the carry object thing by 1.007 since I want to have it in my contest entry. But I'm sure you have a list a mile long of wish items. I guess my biggest issue with this is that it was already in previous versions and would have thought any basic features in the previous version would have been a simple drop-in. Maybe that's a bad assumption.
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2014 02:40
Quote: " We have decided to go for an inventory style approach"

This is music to my ears

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2014 02:41
Tattie, inventory and being able to move things around and interact with them are 2 completely different things. Why would you want to eliminate the one? They don't have to be mutually exclusive.
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2014 02:46
Well from what lee said
Quote: "(for now)"
means it will be later down the line so it wont eliminate anything im am just glad to see inventory

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2014 02:49
OK, I misunderstood. Yeah, having both eventually will be great. I definitely love inventory systems.
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2014 02:52
Yea both will be good as i have a few ideas that would use this also but inventory unlocks more possibility

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
as in the next update you can control entity placement via scripts i see no issue in scripting it yourself for 1 crate so long as we can tell which way the player is facing anyway, will have to wait and see how much control we get over the player

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 14:58
I too would like to see the ability to move and stack things, makes for puzzles in the game. If you're going for a "First Person Simulator" then that's got to be implemented somewhere down the line.

Check out the [FPSC Reloaded FAQ]!

Also check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree that while not needed asap it should be done eventually. Source engine games are always just that much more fun in VR because of the simulated interaction caused by some puzzles that require you to find, pickup and place something (such as a battery etc)
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 12:58:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 12:58:27