Product Chat / Only Single Material Allowed on .x Files?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 3rd May 2014 18:01
Why is only a single material allowed on a .x file? I have an old, but awesome, 3D construction program called 3D World Studio by Leadwerks, which I want to use for creating buildings from. When I export to .x format, it generates one texture as dds and the remainder of the used textures are saved off as jpg. Now, the .x file has no problems identifying each individual material and describing where they are used on the model. But FPS Creator only cares about the .dds file and just ignores the .x file details and applies it on all mesh faces.

Why can't FPS Creator honor the .x file and apply the textures as specified in the file?
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 18:24
It isn't supported as it would bog down the engine.

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 3rd May 2014 18:32
It shouldn't impact performance significantly. I've written engines that support multi-material meshes and most every engine out there supports multi-material meshes without issues. This is a serious missing feature if you ask me. I don't really think there is much of a difference, if any, between having a building constructed of multiple segments that each have their own texture and a single mesh with multiple textures. Any differences are simply in the way the engine chooses to handle them under then hood.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2014 01:56
We will be looking to add something to the forthcoming object importer which will take multi-material models and convert them to single mesh single texture entities. From a performance standpoint one draw call is much better than more than one draw call, and by combining the textures onto a single plate we will be able to do that.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2014 02:12
Lee, yes one draw call is better than multiple draw calls, but if you have a multi segment building with different materials then you are doing separate draw calls anyway. And the engine could combine meshes into a single draw call under the hood as well. For example, if you had a building consisting of 10 segments and half were one texture and the other half were something else then you can combine 5 mesh segments into a single mesh with a single material and the other 5 mesh segments into a single mesh with the other material. That's something all done under the hood and we never have to worry about it.

Now, if you have an importer that combines it all into a single mesh and single material then that's great as well, but I think you'll run into problems with really large meshes with lots of materials. You're limited by the texture size and I think you will hit limits as to how much you can cram into a single texture.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2014 02:28
The age old battle of performance vs quality Maybe a tick-box in the importer which resolves the multi-material into a group of meshes, each with their original material texture. Slower, but you keep the quality. Something to raise when we release the first version of the Importer.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2014 02:32
I look forward to seeing what the importer can do.
Sparrowhawk
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2014 12:48
I used to come across this issue when using Google Sketchup, which admittedly isn't brilliant software at all, but its a good beginner modelling tools, stuff like blender always seemed way over my head. haha

Anyway I was never any good at UV mapping, so the texture thing was an issue for me, it would be good to see some compatibility for this in the future

Mac Pro 2014, Windows 8.1, OSX Mavericks. 3.7Ghz Quad Xeon CPU, Dual AMD D500 GPU's (6GB GDDR5 VRAM), 12GB System RAM, 512 GB PCI-E SSD
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@tomjscott

Im in the same boat and also am comfortable with 3D World studio but multi texturing isn't impossible...I did manage to blag it

Check out my link below and see how I did

[href]http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_vi
PM
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee are you really using a 9600 GT?
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2014 17:23
Interesting trick, synchromesh. I thought that you had to have a dds file as the texture or it wouldn't work. At least that's what the docs say. Also, I'm not quite sure how you managed to craft the model with all the hidden textures, but I might give it a try. I would think it could get quite complicated for something more involved than that brick house. Anyway, I'm sure willing to give it a try for a few things I may need for my level.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 17:15
@BarZaTTacKS : Yep - keeps me honest to low-end users

BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 17:24 Edited at: 5th May 2014 17:24
@Lee That would drive me crazy, I run FPSC:Reloaded on my 6970 crossfire config at home and its awesome.. on my laptop with Intel HD 3000, horrible. I don't know how you do it but props to you!

Do you have a system that pulls the data from systems t
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 19:40
No, but when we put Reloaded on Steam we should be able to get those metrics

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 01:21:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 01:21:18