Product Chat / Maybe Lee should change this page...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So I was bored and searching the website/forums when I came across this page.

http://fpscreator.thegamecreators.com/features.php

I immediately remembered why I actually even bought into this and I feel a little upset. When I bought this product I was caught off guard with how little I could choose from but then after visiting the forum I learned to better set my expectations. I have been happy and content so far but after stumbling onto this page and realizing THIS was why I dropped 100 bucks so damn fast.. kinda made me feel lead on. Anyway I plan on hanging around cause I have high hopes but PLEASE edit that page to inform that half that stuff is not available.
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 03:56
There is no need to change the page it is made very clear you are pledging on development of the product, all features are therefore planned.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 04:49 Edited at: 1st May 2014 04:52
It says "First Person Shooter Reloaded features".... not planned features. It then goes on to say

"FPS Creator Reloaded is packed with game making technology. You can focus on designing your games while we deal with all the game engine complexities."

So one would understand that it is "packed" with game making technology. Then it goes on detailing all these features answering the question of what technology is or should be packed (or included). So it is VERY misleading.

I enjoy the product as is but I still think that page is misleading. It should be more clear that those features are NOT in it yet.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 06:29 Edited at: 1st May 2014 06:32
Quote: "it is made very clear you are pledging on development of the product, all features are therefore planned."

You obviously aren't looking at the same page BarZaTTacKS provided the link to, unless you are looking at it through a rose colored monitor. Nowhere on that page does it even mention "beta" or "in development" or even "this is what we hope it's gonna do when we're done with it". It is misleading, to be sure. I signed up on the Kickstarter and then again after that went away, so I've known from the beginning that this would be an ongoing project, but in the meantime I've called a couple people whiners on the forums because they were growing impatient with the development process. I've told them flat out that they knew from the beginning that it was beta. It would appear I was mistaken, and to those people I extend my most sincere apologies.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 07:13 Edited at: 1st May 2014 07:51
I can see the point but it goes without saying that ANYTHING on Kickstarter is in some development stage. So to promote your product you describe what it will be, not what you hope it will be.

The features referred to are actually not so difficult to implement if you cut corners,so the promise is not empty, in fact there is very little on that page that isn't in there already, maybe not finished but still in If anything it has become a lot more ambitious. The reason it is not at the stage users want is because the majority of users themselves wanted a performing engine first rather than bells an whistles.

You should give more credit to them for not simply throwing it all in there and calling it done, that to me would have been even more misleading.

Sometimes things get forgotten,missed or simply overlooked in favour of more important priorities. I agree somone may think it's a finished product if that was all they saw,but most would soon realise it's in Beta when they pledge, it's not on sale yet. Everything else pretty much screams 'In Development'.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 08:26 Edited at: 1st May 2014 08:29
I guess what would be nice is to have a public check list somewhere.

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can see the point but it goes without saying that ANYTHING on Kickstarter is in some development stage. So to promote your product you describe what it will be, not what you hope it will be."

However, there is a high probability that many people who discover FPSC:R will have no knowledge of its fundraising past or development history. Anyone who searches "First Person Shooter Creator" or "FPS Creator" on Google will not see any trace of its Kickstarter attempt, but rather this website.

There isn't anything on the home page to underscore the fact that it is still very much an in-development product with very few completed features. As the topic of this thread explains, the Features page also makes no mention that they are tentative and not yet available. The Order page does state that it is "in BETA and will remain in BETA while we evolve and expand it" at the top, yet if I were someone unfamiliar with TGC I would still assume the beta already included all features described on the previous page (as many popular apps stay in 'beta' for ages, including Minecraft even after it was already hugely popular).

I guess I haven't seen many complain on the forums, but can still appreciate the argument that not enough is conveyed before ordering that many described features are only planned.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU (Passmark: 5934), NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU (Passmark: 5712), G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
I knew full well before pledging that FPSCR is in Beta development. It states this clearly on the page. I was expecting a lot of features to not yet be implemented or not yet working. It's the nature of betas.

You have to give TGC room for marketing their product, on the other hand a simple line on the features page such as "features currently in development include:" may make you happier?

You haven't wasted you money pledging... I can think of far worse ways of wasting money. Just be patient and keep yourself busy with something while you wait. I suggest getting into 3D modelling and making game assets for your games so by the time FPSCR is ready you will have lots of custom entities to place in your maps! Plus if you can get good at modelling your games will look unique, which would be far nicer that having the same looking entities as everyone else with FPSCR has!

Try using "blender" and following Jays (unfamillia) tutorials in the modelling section of the forum. That's what I'm currently doing. You'll be amazed what you can achieve.
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 13:11
I would have assumed that anyone backing something would have known to expect features not to be working or implemented yet this is how it goes for almost any development you back. From experience of backing a lot they quite often just put up a list of features and don't say what is in and what isn't.

I can understand the point of view it is confusing for those that haven't had experience backing projects, but I don't see any reason for TGC to change at the moment. Maybe everyone feels differently and maybe they will change it because of that

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
xCept wrote: "However, there is a high probability that many people who discover FPSC:R will have no knowledge of its fundraising past or development history. Anyone who searches "First Person Shooter Creator" or "FPS Creator" on Google will not see any trace of its Kickstarter attempt, but rather this website.

There isn't anything on the home page to underscore the fact that it is still very much an in-development product with very few completed features. As the topic of this thread explains, the Features page also makes no mention that they are tentative and not yet available. The Order page does state that it is "in BETA and will remain in BETA while we evolve and expand it" at the top, yet if I were someone unfamiliar with TGC I would still assume the beta already included all features described on the previous page (as many popular apps stay in 'beta' for ages, including Minecraft even after it was already hugely popular).

I guess I haven't seen many complain on the forums, but can still appreciate the argument that not enough is conveyed before ordering that many described features are only planned."

100% agree and (/but) i will say i'm happy with the progress being made so far and can't see those other features mentioned being too far off now (AI and scripting will allow inventory and shops etc / explosions should be possible very soon with the extra performance / and plenty more stuff already in motion.

it does suck if someone pledged expecting a finished product but i think that's not really TGCs fault and more a new loose take on the term beta.

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 14:22
Hi,

I agree, this page is very much out of date. I will update it so it doesn't over promise features. It is our intention to build all the items listed but for now we should bring it more under control and be clearer. Thanks for the kind reminder.

Rick

Development Director

TGC Team
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 14:25 Edited at: 1st May 2014 14:27
LOL! I agree that many of those features mentioned on that page are in the engine, and I too am extremely impressed with it so far, and I'm sure the rest of them are pretty much icing on the cake that will come about over the next few months (fingers crossed), but I never saw that page until BarZaTTacKS pointed it out. (I seldom venture out of the forums anymore). It does make me wonder how long that page has been there, and how many people ordered Reloaded based on that page alone. While the words "pledger" and "development" are on the page, they are not used in the context of a Kickstarter or beta, but for features yet to come. It's not until you get to the order page that you find that out. Oh, well; I know from reading posts around here that the majority of people around here are pleased with it so far! Keep up the awesome work!

(Started writing this before Rick's post appeared, I'll post it anyway)

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
To be clear while I desire more I am satisfied at the moment and understand the nature of the product now. I AM one of those people that had no idea about the kickstarter. Anyway I just wanted to bring it up to prevent anyone else from looking at it the way I did. Keep up the good work!!
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 21:24 Edited at: 1st May 2014 21:34
To be sure its always best to be transparent and precise about what a product offers for what.

That will best ensure that publicity from comments made by anyone can be taken in context and adjudged by others who may read those comments if they care to look and understand. If not there's nothing one can do about that.

Point being that bad publicity whether deserved or not, correct or not can badly affect a product and company perception for those that read it and sometimes do not take that time to give due consideration and or find out if its accurate or not and make a considered judgement. Often a bad review can put people off and one more sale lost.

Every extra sale and supporter matters as that can lead to even more as opposed to vice versa being the case.

In the case of Reloaded at least now in its current stage of development I do not think that it or TGC need to have even slightly over exaggerated marketing hype attached to it anywhere.

Reloaded can now stand on its own two feet thank goodness so such things are not needed. Best keep it factual and accurate which is just as good. i.e. it has has and will have or may have by intention is good enough to get the support needed. The rest is down to what potential pledgers can already now see which is enough to get them to support and if not then I am sure it will be enough to get them to keep an eye here and wait and see and supply more pledgers ongoing.

TGC have now done the right thing - again and thanks to the OP for actually being the one to say bring this up where others have not done so.

Its all for the best and should keep everyone happy which is where we want to be. A lot of happy people.

EDIT Having checked the feature page out I don't quite think the statements regarding AI Enemy Characters are accurate in the main. I guess that will be corrected shortly if and when the AI system is updated and in situ to show that the statements are accurate.

Don't forget to Update the page ongoing when something more is actually added and is no longer "coming".

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 22:14 Edited at: 1st May 2014 22:51
Quote: "I agree, this page is very much out of date. I will update it so it doesn't over promise features. It is our intention to build all the items listed but for now we should bring it more under control and be clearer. Thanks for the kind reminder."

You have to love the democracy forming around this project, things amiss are pointed out, debated and the top echelon listen and respond with sensible decisions, making things right where they can.

Governments could learn a lot from you guy's.

Up Pompeii

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 21:18
Might just point out ragdoll physics on features page has been spelt regdoll

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 21:26
Fixed

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 10:42:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 10:42:24