Product Chat / How to sell a FPS-Reloaded game to the most people...if most people don't have a 'high-end' video card? (GPU)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 23:45 Edited at: 28th Apr 2014 00:20
Hi, I noticed that we need a 'hight end' video card (GPU) for FPS-Reloaded. I found one that uses 300 watts of power which I would never buy, because it would run up my electrictiy bill too high... (Sometimes I leave my PC on for 10 hours at a time).

So, my question is, if I make a game with FPS-reloaded, and I want to sell it to as many people as possible, how can I do that if the game needs a 'high end' video card and most of the people that I want to sell it to do not have a 'high end' video card?

That means that my 'customer-base' will be limited and thus, I won't make much money selling my game because I will have less customers who will buy it.

I mean, the people here in the US, most of them keep the same PC for 5 or 10 years, (i imagine, like me).. they don't go out and buy a new one every year or something. And, there are plenty of other PC games that are very good and don't need a high-end video card.

So, where is the marketability in this FPS-reloaded? Is it just for computer-geeks only..\.. OR.. is it to sell and make money to the general public? You gotta draw the line here.
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 11:38 Edited at: 28th Apr 2014 11:46
You don't need a high end video card at all, I can run reloaded on a 2 year old integrated graphics laptop that cost me £450, which is nothing for a pc with an operating system included.

If you want to run any modern PC game (Battlefield, Titan Fall, Crysis and so on) on decent graphics you will need a dedicated graphics card. Reloaded is no different on the system requirements front, it is matching all other top end games on that side of things.

My graphics cards is 600Watt min (some even require 800Watt min) so you can't really complain about a card with 300Watt rrequirement that is puny by modern standards. Your computer is one of the more efficient items in your home. If you want to save some serious money don't use a toaster, microwave, kettle or heating they use 100 times more energy than a PC that is left on 24/7. I understand people are on a budget but more importantly people need to understand you can't use a modern game engine to make games that run on a 5 year old machine, you wouldn't expect new AAA games to work well.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 16th May 2014 10:04
Just to point even thought the graphics card requires, a 800watt PSU, the GPU doesn't actually use 800 watt, the min requirement is for all the equipment in the system including the GPU.

Mid range cards use about 180 to 200watts at FULL load, high end from 250watts to 300watss, at full load.Full load means that the whole GPU is being used, this is an illusion, no game will use a GPU at 100% unless it's badly coded or trying to use a much older GPU not suited for the game.

GPU's use much the same as a PSU peak loads, in other words, thought is may reach 100% usage for short period of times pending what is being rendered. 100% usage all the time is a little absurd, even then you would use about 30 units of power running a standard gaming rig a month of about 8 hours a day.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 14:50:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 14:50:55