Product Chat / Your opinion on FPS Creator Reloaded...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 20:13 Edited at: 27th Apr 2014 20:25
Hi all,

Been thinking about making the pledge but wanted to get some input from other users on here before I make the jump! Can you guys please tell me your experience

with fps creator reloaded and has it lived upto your expectations so far?

One question on my mind for myself is how well can the new engine handle entities? I know with the older FPS Creator if you had more than 4 entities that the frame rate dropped through the floor horribly.. Has this issue been fixed with this newer engine of reloaded? Any comments would be greatly appreciated and thank's in advance guys!

Best Regards,

DoctorWho...
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 22:24
its a hell of a lot better at handling higher amounts of polys fps for me averages around 90 & im on a slow ish machine

cheers henry

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 00:22
With the last release, speed and performance has vastly improved, and users for the most part are satisfied with that progress. Work is just now starting on entity and AI logic, so we won't know what it can handle until it's in there to work with. Many of us have that same question and concern, but it's just too early for an answer.

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 17:51
I got the gold pledge to support them, and i love FPSC Classic, it got me into game creation back in 2007. I was excited when i first heard about FPSC Reloaded, and even in its beta state i still love the program, but im not sure how much i will actually use it for my games. I am determined to actually make and finish at least one game in it, which i wish i did in classic. I feel Reloaded is worth the gold pledge, or any pledge. I say pledge if you want it. I think its 100% worth it.
PM
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
It depends on your skill set as to what you can currently achieve. The FPS Reloader editor seems relativly simple at the moment, only really allowing you to morph and scult the terrain and place entities. That said, it gives me hours of fun just designing levels. I currently have a bronze pledge but will be upgading to a Gold Pledge in a week or so when I have the money. I'm looking forward to getting more model packs! I'm trying to model myself using blender but I'm pretty new to it all so I find it rather hard and difficult to do. When I switch to FPS Reloaded it all just feels familar and simple somehow. What I love about having FPS Reloaded this early in the production is that I get to learn each feature as it is added rather than just jumping into a program which would have me swamped by features immediatly.

The implementation of features they are looking to include have lots of really exciting possibilities. I'm definatly looking forward to more advanced AI which is currently what the team is working on. Whatever direction the project takes I'm sure I will be satisfied. I'm not really talented at coding, I'm not really talented at modeling. I'm just hoping FPS Reloaded will evolve to help me make simple games for fun. Although I'm sure more advanced users will be able to do alot more and hopefully make professional games. If you look at some of the modeling people on the forums are doing it's really quite amazing.

I've wanted to make games all my life but haven't really had the skills to do it, so hopefully whatever form it takes FPS Reloaded will be the tool for me!
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 04:39 Edited at: 29th Apr 2014 04:44
I am well known for being quite critical I think.

Reloaded thus far has lived up to my own personal expectations as perhaps, though ideally looking for a great deal from the engine (any engine) I was not expecting to get it.

Ideally apart any well known core issues with the original FPSC classic product which I did not suffer from greatly myself until its later stages, though many others always did. I would have been happy to see Reloaded be a better Classic largely via providing a "somewhat" larger external outside world and better AI than Classic. One other thing I would have personally wanted as of great importance to me personally to round off a game making product would be "Third Person View Player". Without that games are very much limited by comparison with the additional potential it offers. Of course one then would have to consider that Third Person requires ideally a variety of different user controllable camera(s) views to make the most of it so it kind of mushrooms a little. In the main that's all I was looking for and anything else would be a bonus.

To date although somewhat some might say the Terrain feature is a little basic, the world size is about right and larger than I would have expected possible. Smaller would be ideally a little too small and larger to much to ask or expect. As we apart from recent concentration on the core at a stage where we have not yet progressed far beyond that larger world there is still much to do.

Point being the core had and quite rightly so to be dealt with first and you need an outdoors environment in if you are going to have on at all to do that.

Now we have come this far I would say its quite a step forward from Classic FPSC and has the potential progress to a level which is unknown but to date its now on track at least.

Personally I think Reloaded is better thus far than I had expected despite my being greedy and wanting more which perhaps was and is not very realistic.

As far as I have experienced personally once the hard coded entity limit was removed from Classic I never had any issues at all with adding very large numbers of entities, except in the case of dynamic AI characters and other AI entities which clearly were something of an issue with Classic. Static entities on the other hand were never a problem for me and I had a great deal in levels without any undue performance hit. Never found them a problem myself.

Clearly when it comes to dynamic AI entities then all and every engine will take a hit from them - Reloaded included - there is no way to avoid that as AI is complex and a drain. The more sophisticated the AI and the more of the AI entities active at any one time the bigger the hit. Thus Reloaded will get a hit. As with any engine if you want very complex and sophisticated AI then the engine has to be capable of managing that efficiently and always a balance found somewhere along the line.

I have always been a big supporter of advanced AI intelligence but within reason. I hope at the very least we can make some basic improvements over Classic levels of AI to say the least.

Despite the current issues with the AI enemies I can see there has been some improvement though it seems we will be having a new - start from scratch AI and that I think will be a good thing. Based on what Lee has already posted about this new AI it seems TGC again have it right and are doing the right things.

I would expect that indeed we will see a considerably improved AI within the limits of possibility and any core engine limitations. I say that as I believe TGC to be committed to now by and large finishing what they start to at least a large degree of completion before jumping too far ahead and like too many cooks, adding too many ingredients all at once.

I say that then Yes expect that Reloaded will progress more yet and meet with Expectations as long as they are sensible and reasonable to expect in a game maker at this level.

No reason why anyone should not be able to make a playable game with it. Hang on for the AI and the Con Kit if that is still in the pipeline and you should be good to go. Thereafter you can wait for the rest of the features set and whatever else may eventually develop while you build your basic levels and game worlds which you should have some decent AI inside to interact with while you do it!

Excuse my typos. Its late well into the early hours of the morning and I am half asleep.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 12:54
Thanks for the write-up UMAN, and your continued faith in the development. Now that the reigns have been somewhat wrestled out of my hands and shared amongst two more top coders, we have what you might describe as a 'team', which is certainly helping accelerate the development. Of course, it took YEARS to find these guys, and then some more YEARS to brainwash them into learning DBP, but we're finally at a stage where tasks can be assigned, and minimal micro-management is required to get the job done. We still need a few more top artists to help us on the visual and content side, but this will come in time I think.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 14:18 Edited at: 29th Apr 2014 14:20
You are welcome. I am pleased Reloaded has got to where it is now and looking forward to the rest of this years development.

I don't really have much time to work with it in depth in game level building myself at the moment but would like to have and I am sure we can look forward to seeing many other users getting the best from it in the things they develop with it for us to drool over.

I am enjoying just working with it at whatever level at the moment just still testing a lot and enjoying walking around my terrains which I have always loved doing in games. I enjoy the environments and searching every nook and cranny. I still cant remember whats over every hill and ridge exactly in some of my Reloaded level worlds as I don't get around them everywhere often and they are quite big. I can even get disoriented if not for the sun position and get lost! A lot to fill up if you want something of some interest everywhere to keep the game player interested.

I recently managed to finally get transparency working correctly in my ice world so now waiting to get the floating in water entities working right in the next version hopefully so I can add and use that to advantage. Little things of detail like that keep us going.

Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 07:08
Dear DrWho.

Hows the Queen? I watch your show a bit and love it.. What game-making software are you using now?

I jumped in to Reloaded at the very start making the plunge figuring after FPSC and the FPSC-X lessons. Then the jump to hand held gaming. It just had to be time for a very good piece of software for game-making.

My only real concern is that they expand the base of usability that stumped FPSC,

Games have to be more than a entitybank full of items. You need to expand on them Like you do on your Space Ship!

Interacting with other entity's, items and levels. And of course killing them, with awesome weapons.

Jump in the water is fine. This I think will become a great piece of software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 14:52:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 14:52:27