Product Chat / Viewing the whole map in the editor.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 17:02
Is there anyway to do this? I can only zoom out about half way in the editor, is there a way zooming out fully?

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 17:06
I don't think there is but i can zoom out almost all the way but starts to turn fogy. What is it for if you don't mind me asking

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Not as far as I am aware. Perhaps it is to help keep performance up, but it would be useful to see the entire map sometimes. Especially if you wanted to grab an image for a map HUD for instance when scripting gets more options

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 17:38 Edited at: 25th Apr 2014 17:39
I have an idea of having a map carved in to a model ( not sure what yet) and I want to copy the map as close I can but it's difficult when you can't see the whole map/terrain.

I know this may change when we can have more than one level or smaller maps.

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 17:52
You could zoom out and take a series of screenshots, then stitch them together.

It would time consuming, but, it would give you the most accurate reference to work from.

Cheers

Jay.

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 18:05
Nice idea perhaps lee would be nice enough to add the zoom distance to the setup.ini

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps you could do it in the in game editor? I've not tried seeing how high I can fly in that mode..

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 13:02
Perhaps there could be hotkeys that jump you to specific zoom distances in one go (I don't mean the Shift key) without having to continually scroll?

Check out the [FPSC Reloaded FAQ]!

Also check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 14:11
I did not see a need for this extreme distance in the editor, but if you feel there are good reasons for scaling back that far, post here and I can add it to the list. I need at least five users agreeing on this before I add to the already burgeoning list

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
Perhaps im a bit blank on this but surely if you had a big map and zoomed out that far it would be so small you couldn't really do a lot with it ?

Except take a screenshot ?
PM
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 14:42
I'd be up for that lee.

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
the only uses i see is for a map and maybe to see/sculpt the edges a bit better if making something like an island... other than that there is no way you could see much of anything but it would still be nice at some point (but i'd rather it not take priority other anything atm, and you can do as unfamilla said for a map)

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 23:15 Edited at: 29th Apr 2014 01:55
Maybe a better idea would be the ability to take a snapshot with a hot key of the entire map without having to actually view it in editor. This could be a simple entity colour reference using placement on the grid (perfect for a city) so you can draw onto it in any graphic editor. Still, you could do this without an overhead screenshot. I reckon if it's a full build using the entire map, having it all in view would cause some real memory issues.

I see no reason to have a snapshot myself of the entire build for an in game map, you don't buy a map in a garage that uses satellite images do you?

The nearest thing to this is GPS and even that uses graphics, it's not worth the work and effort, in fact it's deliberate as this makes it easier to read.

What I really want to see is Reloaded make my coffee for me, oh! and dinner would be nice too....possible?

Quote: "I have an idea of having a map carved in to a model ( not sure what yet) and I want to copy the map as close I can but it's difficult when you can't see the whole map/terrain."

If its modeled you could render it out and snapshot small parts from your scene. paste these over the render in your graphic program in place, for a nice 3d'ish map, it really doesn't need to be completely accurate for a game and you can get a lot more Arty with it.

I know you model, so in your case if it's mostly about terrain it would better to ask if a heightmap could be rendered from Reloaded terrain, could do a nice map even from that once you get into Gimp or whatever and paint over it. you could render from your modeling program or use it to build your models in situ Terrain mesh export would work just as well.

Maybe something for the future I would also like to see.....Lee, would it be possible...or yeah, right! Dream on..?

Quote: "I don't think there is but i can zoom out almost all the way but starts to turn fogy."
This is because fog like LOD and shaders is also viewed in the map editor, Don't know exactly what distance is for furthest fog but enough for it to show long before you get the entire map in view. Maybe turning all shaders to lowest would help, or pushing the slider for nearest fog all the way up..

So your scene looks like LA in the 70's from high up does it? Just like the real thing
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 11:21 Edited at: 29th Apr 2014 11:22
Don't worry about it about Lee, it's just me thinking out aloud.

This was more about just carving out the basic terrain from above with rivers and islands etc.. just easier to do in one hit if you could see the whole map, but from some of the suggestions above, I could make the model map and the level map in sections.

Some great ideas there Rolfy, a heightmap would work a treat !

Thanks for your help guys.

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 14:25:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 14:25:03