Product Chat / forest homes.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
like many of you I have been playing with beta6

and its really not to shabby at all..

I have been playing with the new veg assets and grasses and stuff and so far this little scene is what I have come up with tonight after abit of looking through all the new grasses tree's and plants

some issues with collision and the start marker showing up..

fps dropped a lot though with so much animation on plants and tree's. but still run fine even when recording screen

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
Kalle801
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 10:03
Really great!
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 11:00
Excellent scene, I will get right on those collision issues and also see if I can tweak the engine so that we are not asking it to animate ALL the trees and veg. Maybe only animate X number of items, closest to the player's viewing angle...

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 11:10 Edited at: 17th Apr 2014 11:33
I think in Skyrim there is only a certain distance range of animated veg/trees. Not sure if it animates behind the player or not since you can whip around pretty quickly... so not sure if there is any process occurring depending on which way you face. But i did notice in far distance things like grass doesn't seem to animate. Which is an adjustable feature in its quality settings.

Skyrim deals with a lot of vegetation and yet functions on a wide range of machines. I think its in part to play with the smart ways they go about tackling performance/quality.

They do something like this using Radial Distance:

Grass

20,000 = no grass, no animations, no shaders

10,000 = no animations, no shaders

5,000 = no shaders

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 11:24 Edited at: 17th Apr 2014 11:28
Quote: "Excellent scene, I will get right on those collision issues and also see if I can tweak the engine so that we are not asking it to animate ALL the trees and veg. Maybe only animate X number of items, closest to the player's viewing angle..."

thanks lee m8 . sounds like a plan .. the invisible walls from tree's are abit of an issue if trying to make a forest, feels like box colliders instead of mesh colliders used on some tree's but im no expert, though some of the branches giving issues was well over head height and still I was hitting them somehow.

but thanks again glad you liked my little scene

edit: LEE I forgot to mention that the spray button "I" only sprays in 1 place over and over again with tree's and plant's not in random area's like before.

PM
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 17:11
Very nice, great job almightyhood

The veg pack is really very good, fantastic job whoever made it !

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I get all kinds of issues with the veg pack and its completely unusable for me.

One of those issues being collision. I can't turn entities collision off? 1 of 4 issues.

BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
I cannot wait for my Oculus DK2 to arrive so I can feel like I am in the woods. I think the veg pack is awesome. Props to whoever made it!
PM
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 21:04
Great scene!!! I also have had issues with all the markers showing up, and I think I've nailed it down to when I turn off entities after pressing f11 and then turning them back on. in get to the river I see every marker and also lights as well.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
I see, not thought of that or noticed it being related but quite possible as I did mess with settings there abit.

oh and thanks I like the scene myself aswell , I could well run around in it a fair amount tbh lol was nice looking.

PM
Titantropo
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Diablo III
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 20:47
I've said it before: why not make a box with lots of trees in the background and we only have to place the nearest ones? A king of box like this, where we have the stars and outside the box nothing else. It would be extremely good, in case anyone wants a forest far away in the map, just to complete the level. Imagine a game in the jungle. That way, we won't need to place thousands of trees, just the ones where the player walks.

And the same could be done with buildings, and a lot more.

Here, there and everywhere.
PM
Titantropo
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Diablo III
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 21:05
Or we can have some trees like these ones http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208183&b=25&p=0

Here, there and everywhere.
PM
kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2014 19:13
In unity when you place trees from the terrain settings, the ones close to the player are the 3d model, and the ones far from the player are turned into a billboard image of the tree. I wonder if something like that can be done for reloaded?
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice scene. The new packs are nice looking and certainly make outdoor stuff look lots better! I have issues placing many shrubs and things down though, although trees seem better for some reason. Place many shrubs or flowers and my frame rate drops quite quickly. I liked the building, did you make it yourself?

Reloaded did have billboarding in at one point(quad support). But as far as I know it is not in the latest version. Once it is perfected, no doubt it will return, along with occlusion. Along with some shader stuff, I think once these two features are in and bullet proof, we should see good speed gains. Also draw counts seem very high at the moment for even a small scene, so hopefully this can be improved also.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
im no modeller the huts seen in the pic are from the free models area of the forums.

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 06:08:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 06:08:03