3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Problem with texturing

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2014 20:24 Edited at: 15th Apr 2014 20:35
I am not a modeler, so I have downloaded some free models that are already textured (those marked as "game ready" meaning low poly, one object and one texture), and I'm using entity workshop to import them into reloaded, however, there seems to be a problem with some textures.

Take a look at the attached picture. Both building and house in this pic are free models downloaded from turbosquid, converted from .3ds to .x (using conv3ds.exe) and scaled in entity workshop to match player size (actually I use the door as a reference and try to make door just a bit taller than the player), yet the building texture shows fine and the house texture looks like it's masked military uniform

Most models that I download from internet have this issue. At first I thought the problem is related to texture size, but the building texture here is larger than house building (2048x2048 for building and 1536x1536 for the house) so that should not be an issue. Or should it?

edit: It looks great in entity workshop, though

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2014 20:51
What do the textures look like. Are there the require 3 with the proper naming?

Is there some kind of alpha in them as game ready to the rest of the world uses textures a little different.

If you post the link I will check it out and see what I get.

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2014 21:08
Most game model textures are a power of 2 ie 256x256 512x512 1024x1024 etc that could be your problem. You could try re sizeing the texture however this may effect your uvs

Cheers henry

Avram
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2014 21:14 Edited at: 15th Apr 2014 21:16
Actually, no. For both models I have loaded only one texture.

Building: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/689819

House: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/689373

This one also looks like military uniform: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/754161

Ok, if problem is other two textures, why does the building show up fine? If the textures are problem indeed, then this building uses textures differently than the house

edit: I thought to resize the textures, but I decided not to as I guessed UV mapping would screw up :/

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2014 22:53 Edited at: 16th Apr 2014 00:38
Uv mapping is unaffected by changing texture size,the texture is stretched to fit in uv space. Texture or uv stretching is done automatically in 3d modeling programs whatever the scale which is why it fits alright in those, but dirextx additionally requires the above mentioned power of two to display properly.

You could change any texture in stock media from 1024x1024 to 1024x512 and it wont change the uv's at all, and it will still look the same at render since the texture is stretched to fit the square uv layout.

The only time you might find it changing is if you crop or increase the canvas size, changing the size of the image itself wont have any uv issues.

Your problem is the very thing you are reluctant to change, texture scale, change the textures to 1024x1024 or any power of two and they will fit perfectly.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2014 02:32 Edited at: 16th Apr 2014 02:38
Downloaded the 3ds file and imported it into 3d max. UV mapping did not hold there. Brought it into fragmotion and it had mapping and exported to .obj format. Much more universal format then .3ds.

Made the texture sets and applied them in 3d max and exported it to xfile. Set the FPE file and ran it threw the test game. Looks fine now.

I would choose .obj format for models that you find if they offer that format. It is a very reliable format for interchange from program to program. Also the original file had 2 sets of UV mapping.

Files in the download button.

Avram
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2014 20:25
Your model works fine, thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm complete noob for all modelling software. I have tried to download this other house from my previous post (arab house) as obj but when I import it into anim8or or fragmotion I get nothing. No errors, no object loaded. Nothing. With 3ds I at least got it loaded.

---

Ok, I can't believe this

I've loaded 3ds into fragmotion and exported it to .x without touching it. The model exported successfully and the textures were fine, but it was upside down. Then I flipped it in fragmotion (mirror by Y axis) and it was still upside down. Then I flipped it again back in original state, exported it, and it looks distorted again

The one on the left is original .3ds exported to .x and the one on the right is mirrored by Y axis, then mirrored again back to original state

The sizes differ because I scaled them differently in entity workshop

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Unfortunately, I'm complete noob for all modelling software."

Then I would suggest installing Blender and follow unfamillia's video tutorials. They are very good for beginners. Anim8tor is old and buggy. Fragmotion can make models but it's not very good at it. It's strength is in animation.

Quote: " I have tried to download this other house from my previous post (arab house) as obj but when I import it into anim8or or fragmotion I get nothing. No errors, no object loaded."

Actually it DID load the model. I tested it and the thing is scaled to around 4 "million" units. (the 3ds one is only around 4k units) The camera was "inside" the model and the walls are so far away you can's see them. I tried to scale it down for you but the obj model was not centered before export and the pivot point is in the wrong place so it just destroys it. Everything goes in the wrong directions. I imported it to blender and resized it to a more suitable size for you and exported to an x file for you.

For the messed up texture issues you are having, I have no clue what you are doing wrong. Hopefully someone can answer that for you.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 08:56
Ok. Here is the other house. Did the same thing. Scaled them in 3d Max. Made texture set and made fpe file. Files in download button.

Avram
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 10:53
Yeah, I have tried Blender, but I don't even know how to zoom out my view in Blender, let alone scale the object. Guess I'll have to go through those tutorials.

@Pirate Myke: Although I am very thankful for these models you've converted, I'd like to learn to do that myself. Unless you want to convert all models for me. I can offer lua coding in return. Great job though, your road models are also very cool.

If someone can make step-by-step tutorial on how to import 3ds or obj into Blender and export it suitable for FPSC, I'd be very thankful

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 13:50
Quote: "If someone can make step-by-step tutorial on how to import 3ds or obj into Blender and export it suitable for FPSC, I'd be very thankful"

I can add this to the list of videos that I am making for FPSC-R. If you are struggling with Blender or GIMP, please check out my tutorials. They have helped a couple of people so far, so, they might be able to help you.

The tutorials are here

Cheers

Jay.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 15:17
@Avram:

This is what I do, convert media from all over the world and many formats for use in FPSC Classic. As much as I would like to convert these for you, as you stated it would do you no good in learning to do it yourself.

You wanting to lear
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 16:46
Quote: "Soon you will be doing these in you sleep"

True in more than one sense! I dream about converting, UV maps, baking etc. Its not good!

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 19:25 Edited at: 17th Apr 2014 19:27
Yeah it's true, it took me ages to get models in to Reloaded using 3 programs, even then I had problems. Now it takes me few seconds using 1 program.

Ask plenty of questions & help is here if you need it but there no better way to learn than trial & error.

Quote: "True in more than one sense! I dream about converting, UV maps, baking etc. Its not good!"

You're not the only one !

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
Avram
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 23:52 Edited at: 18th Apr 2014 23:53
I have started looking at this Blender tutorial #1 but thanks to my 8 months old son I never finished it

Anyway, I have tried to convert some characters from classic but only as a static entity. I did it by opening the .x file in fragmotion, choosing animation frame where the character is standing and then file/export pose. But the textures were messed up once again.

Then I noticed that "exclude normals" is checked in the directx export dialog:

The moment I unchecked it my models were displaying correctly in reloaded! I hope this will work on other models too.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2014 17:32
Cool, nice to find out what the problems were.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 13:29:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 13:29:21