Feature Creep / I Want to see Boids

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I would love to see Boids included into FPSCR.

For those who don't know what a Boid is:

It is coordinated animal motion such as bird flocks and fish schools.

It is based on three dimensional computational geometry. These generic simulated flocking creatures are Boids. Boids give the impression of wildlife.

It takes a single model, and creates a flocking model group that consists of three simple steering behaviors, which describe how an individual Boid maneuvers. It is based on the positions and velocities of its nearby flockmates.

One model becomes a whole flock, or group of turtles, or frogs, fish schools, murder of crows, you name it.

I have used Boids in CryEngine Dev, and I love it. It creates the illusion of a living, virtual world.

Such things are the icing on the cake, I know... so I don't expect it to be added until the cake is fully baked, but it would be an incredible thing to have, and would put Reloaded on the 3D Engine map!
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2014 04:17
Never heard of them, but I like the name and the idea! Sounds like an AI script could take care of that when the time comes, it shouldn't necessarily be integrated into the engine. Big plus: less of a wait.
PM
morphtactic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2014 06:00 Edited at: 14th Apr 2014 06:01
Yea, Boids are cool, and for so little, create a lot of realism. You can create a barnyard full of chickens, or a host of deer with a Boid. They take little memory and resources, because the flock, or group, is made from just one animated model. A Boid is almost like a particle system, using 3D geometry...
tommy8
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2014 01:37 Edited at: 15th Apr 2014 01:38
i see no reason why not, the more the merrier.

Though i would like to see more animal features full stop, like stock animations for dogs and horses.
PM
morphtactic
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree, stock animal animations and models would be sweet! Such geometry can easily be used with a Boid AI script. Then we can populate our virtual rivers and lakes with natural moving fish, our 3D sky's with flocks of birds, and forests filled with roaming deer. Why not?

I think the idea of creating Boids just with AI scripts is intriguing...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 15:28:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 15:28:24