Website/Forum Feedback / Boards confusion

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 22:48 Edited at: 27th Mar 2014 23:48
Ironically I am probably posting this in the wrong board

Maybe I am anally retentive but it really irks me when there are three different boards for models and media and no one seems to have a clue where to post a question concerning non TGC stuff.

TGC Models and Media

For Sale/WIP Models and Media

Free Models and Media

All of these boards have 'how to' threads from users creating their own models, so which is the correct one for these requests and questions? If it's in 'For Sale/WIP' then no point in me posting any for sale media which will be buried among the numerous question threads which are inherent to new users for a new product.

I reckon most would just glance at the board list and seeing 'models and media' would click on the first to catch their eye, I won't blame users for this but reckon it's something needed to be clearer as it\'s all starting to become a mish mash.

There would be no point in using 'search' to find an already answered question in a specific board if it's answered in a completely unrelated one.Nor would I like to be a user who has to search through the Free board for media which will soon be bloated with 'how to' threads.

At least it was a little less confusing when it was just 'TGC' and 'Third party' but even then it happened, I expected it to settle down eventually but can see mods constantly having to shift numerous threads to the correct board if it continues. In fact it\'s needing done now and can only get worse if left as it is.

As I say this is new software with a completely new user base so questions are going to be flowing and maybe a separate Q/A board for modeling and more related to other non TGC products such as Blender, Max etc (the web is awash with tutorials for these and Autodesk have their own forums), it would at least keep the other boards from being overwhelmed
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 01:37
Nothing wrong with trying to keep a clean house! Seeing non-board related threads irk me, too! I don't think people even pay attention to what they're posting under. The non-descriptive thread titles also irk me, although I'm sure I'm guilty of it as well. And you're right, this probably should have gone in the forum feedback, lol, but I guarantee more people will read it here, and hopefully take note.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 01:46 Edited at: 28th Mar 2014 01:59
It's the reason I posted it here and the irony is intentional, the appropriate board is probably one of the least read ones on here and I think users need to be aware too. Still, I guess a mod will move it soon to prove a point (my own....oooh! the irony of it all) and things wont get any better anyhow
s4real
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sure it will get sorted in the end rolfy ( well I hope so.)

Best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.

Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 02:35 Edited at: 28th Mar 2014 02:43
Since this forum is for a single TGC product I think there is room for specific boards, it never ceased to amaze me how many questions were asked on how to do something in 3dsMax on a game developers forum where these questions were best asked on the Autodesk forum and you know how users over in Classic used to respond

Still think it would be best to have a specific board for this if users want to have it, as I say no point in posting Free or For sale media which is buried among non related questions.

Anyone who actually reads the sticky's will know that any posts in models and media requires an in-game screenshot, this was for a reason....to be sure it was FPSC related and to prevent all those 'my fist model threads' of users models in a 3d modeling program entirely unrelated to FPSC game media design.

I am not trying to have a go at users around here and kind of like the idea of helping out a new modeler but feel it's inappropriate unless it has it's own board. Just want to say it sooner rather than later. before it becomes an issue.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 02:51
The fact that there are now three separate m/m boards means that they (the proverbial they as in the powers that be) are trying to do something. Something is almost always better than nothing, even when it only turns out to be a lesson in how not to do something. People posting media in the wrong board has always been a problem, and now we have more choices which means more chances to be wrong. 2 out of 3 I guess.

It seems we could remove the TGC Media board (as only TGC can post TGC media) in lieu of a generic 3d discussion board. At least that would take the "Models" title off of one of them. Then the other could be renamed to something that would more clearly define advertising media for sale or free. Not sure if anything like that would help, but as it is right now, all three say "models and media".

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Confusion is the correct word alright! I think I understand why the boards were changed. What I don't get is the "For Sale/WIP" board. If you are still working on the model it "IS" a "WIP" but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be for sale. Even "FREE" models are WIP before they are completed/ So what are we to do and where the heck to post them????????

I do like the free and for sale being in separate boards though.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 08:55 Edited at: 28th Mar 2014 08:56
Hi,

It was felt that in the past, too much of the excellent free media was being lost amoungst the numerous other, often unrelated posts. In the past, a lot of great models were being overlooked as they quickly got buried. We also wished to allow users to have a forum to show WIP and offer media for sale.

Lastly, the board names were chosen to allow our many users, to whom English isn't a first language, board titles that could be easily understood.

We will of course continue to tweak if users find it confusing.

(And Rolfy, to keep you happy, I've moved this to the site feedback forum .)

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL...meh!
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Free and For Sale media boards should be combined and contain ONLY finished and Reloaded ready media or your still going to get a host of WIP threads with intention to be free and some of those never released. The WIP board should be what it says on the tin and if it's going to be Free or For Sale then a thread can be created when it's done.
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2014 19:23
Hopefully the boards make more sense the way they are laid out now.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
it's a bit clearer now
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2014 21:48
Quote: "Hopefully the boards make more sense the way they are laid out now."

Much better.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 21:41:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 21:41:12