3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Models disappears from a short distance away???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 06:57
I have a self created model which during game play disappears as I move away from it. The .DDS texture I'm using does not have mipmaps. If I add the mipmaps will this help keep the model visible from further distances, or are there other settings to control this?

Thanks
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 13:22
Does the model stay there untextured or does it disappear completely from sight?

If it completely disappears, this sounds more like a culling issue.

Cheers

Jay.

Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 17:32
It completely disappears. What is "Culling", and how does one deal with it? The model was created in MilkShape and looks great close-up. The .DDS texture file does not have mipmaps.

Thanks for the follow-up
Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 19:12
OK, so I went back an tried the MipMaps, that did not solve the problem. Then for laughs I exported from MilkShape using Direct X8. The good news is that this solved the distance visibility issue, but the scale system in the FPE file does not work, so I must size the model in Milkshape before export. As long as it works the scale issue is no biggie..

Does anyone else have any suggestions? The culling issue was when I used DirectX9 to export.
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 13:52
Culling is how the engine determines what needs to be generated at that time and what doesn't. It does this to save resources. This was an issue in FPSC Classic. It is an easy fix (I believe).

Take a look at this post for FPSC calssic. The FPE's are still the same (near enough), so, I can imagine, the fix should be the same also.

Cheers

Jay.

Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 19:12
Thanks for the suggestion Jay, I'll see what I can find.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 09:09:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 09:09:42