3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Cosmic's new WIP

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 22:11
Hi Guys. Working on a new set of characters. I love the snow textures in the base set, and it got me thinking of Skyrim. So I've decided to do some new warriors, and such inspired by the Oblivion, and Skyrim series. Since Reloaded can handle Higher poly counts I wanted to see what it could do.

Here's an early stage screenshot...

It stands around 3k now, but I haven't done the eyes yet. Unlike the original game models ( Where the characters all used wig meshes, I'm saving a butt-load of polys by modeling the hair as part of the head instead.

I'll post more as I go. See Ya!

Back from the Wasteland.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 22:40 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 22:45
Well now, what have we here?

Looking superb as always Cosmic, reckon when it comes to scripting these guy's we are going to have to learn Lua. As it is just now you could maybe create your anims as per the stock frames and take a guess at how Reloaded would use these, I know Bond1 put a crap load into his characters that aren't even being touched on by the engine so far. Might have been a bit much to chew on having the engine decide which anim to use and when, though I am guessing that was to be a part of the character creator down the line where users could simply take a character and drop it in and go.

For the more serious developer they are going to want to have characters do what they want when they want, and that's where scripting calls are going to be used.

All maybe further, or maybe not, down the line. But your going to have a hard time testing these out in Reloaded any time soon, unless you intend them to strafe with a pistol. it's making myself hold off too so far on custom characters

All the same really nice work so far and hopefully by the time we get some proper scripting for it all you will have a few ready to go, that's when the Black and Blue Foxes gonna find us knocking on the Den door for help with our first attempts
Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 22:58
LOL. Your right about that. I'm in no hurry to get these done, but my curiosity got the best of me. and I wanted to see what various characters looked like in game. plus, I also want to see what the character shader can do. Your demon looked pretty cool, This is for more or less, the same.

Back from the Wasteland.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I plan on camping out on their lawn, get your backpack ready
s4real
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking nice Cosmic now all you need is the new bip's for Reloaded.

Best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.

Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 18:02 Edited at: 18th Mar 2014 18:05
I'm going to rig him to the stock biped, and just have him walk around so I can see what texture method looks best, and of course, I want to find out the best settings I'll need for the normal maps and such.

The High poly mesh of the masked soldier is "8288" so I've got a lot of room to get creative here. I intend to try and keep my overall count lower than that, and hope to see a performance increase.

I'm running a 3gb core 2 duo, 4gb ram, and a 2gb NVidea video card, and with full shaders and high graphics settings selected, the characters run a bit too slow, even on a simple map.

Perhaps if I exclude the other mid, and low poly LOD meshes, As Disturbing 13 did, That will make a difference as well. And if so, that gives me an even higher poly threshold for the overall mesh. Which would be awesome!

I'll let you all know what the results are after testing.

Back from the Wasteland.
BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 05:45 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2014 14:38
Looking good, Dale. I figured you'd have that "gotta create some models for Reloaded itch" by now after weathering all that snow and being stuck indoors.

Quote: "All the same really nice work so far and hopefully by the time we get some proper scripting for it all you will have a few ready to go, that's when the Black and Blue Foxes gonna find us knocking on the Den door for help with our first attempts"

A lot is going to hinge on how well the engine performs running animations and scripts. Hopefully they (meaning the dev team) will avoid the issue from before where some animations would never run/end properly, particularly when dealing with custom rigs.

Quote: "I plan on camping out on their lawn, get your backpack ready"

If you are meaning our lawn, no need to camp. We have room inside the house. You'll even be fed a hot meal and Cathy will have homemade baking ready.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@CP.

Sent you an email.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 17:18 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2014 17:22
Wait!, What!!!! Did you say Homemade baked goods? Grabbing the Google map to your house now. I'll know I'm close when I can smell the brownies, and see Rolfy's campfire burning.

And do you believe it, they're actually calling for more of that evil white stuff next week.

Back from the Wasteland.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 18:35
Quote: "And do you believe it, they're actually calling for more of that evil white stuff next week."

Good thing, we're almost out.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 19:54 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2014 19:56
ROFL!!

Hey there Brian. Hope all is well my friend.

Back from the Wasteland.
BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 20:04
Quote: "And do you believe it, they're actually calling for more of that evil white stuff next week."

Quote: "Good thing, we're almost out."

... note to self ... direct snow to Brian ... send hot cocoa to Dale ... sit by warm fireplace and smile ... eat baking ...

Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 21:00 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2014 21:26
More...

Pretty happy with the base mesh. Since this character is in the Light Armour category, I don't want to add too much more. Maybe a few packs, or belts...

Back from the Wasteland.
BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 21:12
Quote: "Pretty happy with the base mesh. Since this character is in the Light Armour category, I don't want to add too much more. Maybe a few packs, or belts."

Or customary coffee cup. Or is he carrying your backpack and pulling you on the toboggan when you trek up here for your baked goodies?

Just out of curiosity, do you know what the polygon threshold happens to be in Reloaded? I assume slightly larger than what was allowed in Classic.

Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 22:22
That's what I'm trying to determine. Or at least what a good mid range ceiling to work by, that looks good while nearby, and at a distance (for characters anyway). Personaly, I would prefer to use a single mid rage mesh, than 3 seperate LOD meshes in my games.

Will start unwrapping tonight, then start on the textures.

OK people... Are there any designers out there? Let's find out.

If any of you guys have some art skills, post your Armour concepts and designs here, and I'll work in some of the best , and model your character design for all to enjoy. Male,and female designs are encouraged.

(keeps me from having to come up with all the ideas), After the set is complete, we'll see about getting the proper animations added in.

So let's see what you folks can come up with, and before anyone asks, Yes, this will be my first Reloaded based "FREE" media pack if we can get er' rolling.

Back from the Wasteland.
Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 21:16 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2014 21:23
Added some base colors, and did his face....

Now for the add-ons...

Back from the Wasteland.
J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 21:34
Quote: "this will be my first Reloaded based "FREE" media pack"

Hmm thats to kind but i think ppl wont reject that gift, lookin nice so far.

A suggestion would be to simply give only the basic player model as free and let ppl purchase additional versions/ types of it.

Anyways nice work

http://j0linar.blogspot.co.at/

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7-3630QM 4.8GHz CPU, Nvidia GTX 675M - 2048MB GPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM
PM
Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 22:09 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2014 22:12
Thanks J0linar. There\'s plenty of time for that. There\'s tons of stuff for Reloaded I can make to sell when I want.

But now, I just wouldn\'t be me, if I didn\'t give away stuff for free around here. That just how old Cosmic rolls.

Besides I'm just making these in my spare time, in between my other projects.

Back from the Wasteland.
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2014 21:42
Nice to see you back cosmic! Great work here like usual.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 09:59:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 09:59:54