Feature Creep / Directx9 to OpenGL - by using Valves Direct3D to OpenGL abstraction layer

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 02:10 Edited at: 13th Mar 2014 02:12
As Valve released their ToGl Code

i was thinking that it could be of benefit for TGC and Reloaded

am not sure what TGC is preparing for the iOS/ Android take of

of Reloaded but it might just be worth a look at Valves

Direct3D to OpenGL abstraction layer

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ToGL

Do Note the Codebase is Licensed under the MIT License

and therefore it could be integrated into Reloaded legally without

restrictions.

Taken out from the github readme

Limited subset of Direct3D 9.0c

Bytecode-level HLSL -> GLSL translator

Some SM3 support: Multiple Render Targets, no Vertex Texture Fetch

Anyways i hope this gets at least a bit of attention, yes i know we are still at the doomed stage of performance but its better to keep the ball rollin in the direction of the future and features!

http://j0linar.blogspot.co.at/

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7-3630QM 4.8GHz CPU, Nvidia GTX 675M - 2048MB GPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM
PM
Clonkex
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2014 02:27
FPSCR is written in DBPro, which itself uses DirectX9 internally. It would require rewriting huge parts of DBPro and half the stuff wouldn't "just work" any more. It would cost lots and take a very long time. Let me suggest that this won't happen any time soon.

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
do they even plan to release FPSCR to android? there's already TGC programs in place to make tablet/phone games so personally i'd be happier to see FPSCR stay PC only so we don't have to restrict it more than it already is

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
In honesty, I don't see the need to support Android or ios with Reloaded. As far as FPS games go, they are not great devices to use anyway. If you really want to mess about with Android and ios then AGK would be the best bet at the moment, at least TGC wise.

I can assure you TGC has done nothing to prepare for ios or android and will not do so for some time, beyond saying it would be nice to add in the future. It is going to be a big job just getting it ready for one platform, never mind several. If they had wanted to aim for that market they would have pushed AGK dev and used that to develop it, if they had any sense. Instead it uses DB, so no, I can't see it.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Clonkex
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2014 09:13
smallg wrote: "i'd be happier to see FPSCR stay PC only so we don't have to restrict it more than it already is"

DVader wrote: "In honesty, I don't see the need to support Android or ios with Reloaded. As far as FPS games go, they are not great devices to use anyway. If you really want to mess about with Android and ios then AGK would be the best bet at the moment, at least TGC wise."

I absolutely agree. I hate the fact that a lot of people think all games are better on mobile.

PM
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2014 18:05 Edited at: 14th May 2014 18:05
While I know nothing of the work required we cannot assume just because a game is made for android that we are making it for a mobile phone. There are android devices that hook to the TV and there are large enough tablets with controller support. So we need to remember we are not in the middle of a normal tech cycle we are living in a transnational period where what we think would not work might end up being what works best in the future.
PM
Clonkex
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 16:02
Quote: "While I know nothing of the work required we cannot assume just because a game is made for android that we are making it for a mobile phone."

Of course. However, it's a pretty safe assumption that when someone says Android they mean a phone.

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 05:22:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 05:22:14