Feature Creep / Water/ Terrain good suggestion - Read and comment

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 10:50 Edited at: 9th Mar 2014 10:50
Hi all! I've got a good suggestion for water and terrain planes. How about to create button inside editor to get into somekind of Sector mode. In this sector mode you will have map divided into sectors, which you can set to different sizes, for example 10x10 meters, 20x20 meters.

There you can choose height of water plane in each sector, so you can have ability to have water plane also in hills. But also ability to turn off water in that sector. Another thing is ability to lock height of some sectors, so they will not be affected by terrain editing and stay flat.
PM
Thurnok
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with your suggestion regarding the water planes. I agree with it so much in fact, that I basically made the same suggestion myself a few months ago within someone else's water plane topic. But since we cannot easily search / find posts we previously made, unless we actually started the topic, I'm too lazy to find it and link it to point it out here.
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2014 00:26
I agree we need to be able to have different water planes, but it can be greatly simplified by just having a sizable water object that can be placed anywhere we want. The sector solution is over complicated. Most 3D engines and 3D animation packages just allow you to plop down a water object and make it any size you want and put it anywhere you want.
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 00:42
Its a good idea but i would like it to be in the way of say a brush like the one we use already and while we are at it lee can you make the paint ground

paint rock to a single drop down with a variety of terrains like snow, sand, grass, rock, dirt, water, this way we can mix things up.

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 00:53 Edited at: 6th May 2014 01:34
I believe they are using Evolved's water shader which uses a watermask found in \levelbank\testmap that can be edited to place water in an area or areas of choice. It may be that the full path would need to be entered into the shader for Reloaded use, not looked at it myself.

The watermask data structs and parameters are in the Reloaded water_basic.fx shader code so it should have an effect.

I did this before in Classic, however it was really hit and miss where the water appeared and a strangely mirrored placement etc. But it should still be possible to do it.

It may not be ideal or what you all want but here's a link if anyone wants to look into it or to simply play around.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=187344&b=21

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 01:10
Ahh good to know may give it a bash later on thanks

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 22:15:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 22:15:12