Free Models and Media / PirateMyke – Roads And Signs Packs Updated for GameGuru

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hey pirate everything looks fantastic so far m8 .

the 2nd lot of roads I tested out and they look great but they don't sit on terrain for me right here is screenshot.

its like they are half in the terrain, when I press enter they do this still, though they look perfectly placed in the editor top down view. its only on test they seem to drop down abit and get covered in grass. hitting page up once fixs the look of this though but maybe its something you missed or can change somehow?? im no modeller so don't really know, but thought maybe you would want to see my results . anyways love the models and everything cant wait to get them into a map with which I can show you more in video but will wait for the next beta release before that sort of thing. thanks again m8 looking great so far

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 15:12 Edited at: 21st Mar 2014 15:15
Yes, needed a way to have these set into the terrain instead of on top of it. so they come into the editor with the bed of the road below the terrain line.

Hint: The center of the road is at the zero height.

Reason is how the roads would meet with the tracks when I get the tracks finished. Specs for the road beds and track beds come from Union Pacific Railway standards and are made this way for drainage purposes.

What you need to do is place them in the editor at the height level they come in. Set something like the over pass crossing first.

Set a few straight pieces and a curve. Start the test game and go into terrain edit mode pressing F9. With the number 1 terrain brush and a fixed height for your view, lower the terrain alone the Road by the edge till you just lower it below the edge of the road bed. Move inwards till the terrain goes below the road in the center.

Use the leveling brush and make 1 click to set a level spot. Use the remember level height 3 brush and start moving along the roads lowering the terrain to the save level point.

Note: If you hit the insert point of the entity, the entity will drop into the terrain level. Kind of a pain but what can you do.

Anyway, just right click any section of roads that drop down, then raise it manually to the bed height you would like. Adjust any other that have dropped when in terrain edit mode. Some of the piece are long and this takes a bit of patients.

Unfortunately I could not think of any better way to place these. If you would try to set them on uneven terrain you would have had to set every piece of road on the surface of the terrain then build your terrain around them, rotate the pieces this way and that to make them fit together. This way all you need to do is figure at which height you want the road system at, set it and then adjust the terrain around it.

I made a level with a flattened terrain a hundred feet above the water plain and tried to do some terrain editing around it, but I like the default hills better when you call up a new map.

I have all the profile sweep saved incase they give us a way to lay road in the editor that will automatically follow the terrain we are trying to set the road in. Will have to wait and see about this.

I will attempt to make a video tutorial of the process of getting these to set the easiest. Hope this helps out more. But I expect that as the engine progresses, we will have a better way of doing this.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
ok m8, I will give it ago thanks

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 22:48
Cool, I am willing to discuss other ways to accomplish this.

Since most new roads and railroad tracks that are laid down in real life tend to use a cut and fill technique to find the smoothest transition from one elevation to another. The simplest way we have is to lay down the road and adjust the immediate area around the tracks or roads. You could still use the 1 - 6 keys to achieve transitions to different heights, but as the parts will not truly conform to the terrain heights, it most likely would not look right, and this would be the next logical step to accomplish this.

Having piece that are 100 foot sections or better reduces the time to lay out the objects. Going thru test game mode and editing the terrain in the terrain mode is just fun.

I was having trouble myself when putting these together first. Trying different ways of pre flattening the path I wanted the road to take, only to have to set the road pieces anyway. The choice I thought would be easiest for most users was what I came up with.

Road and track rail height at the insert height and adjust the terrain up or down as desired. Having this vertical height of the model sections so you could sculpt around them gives the user some room to play with.

But I am sure other solutions can be made. Perhaps a brush with a road texture might be best, but there is still the roughness of the terrain and the ability to smooth it that would have to be looked at also.

So let the ideas flow and maybe we can come up with a better way.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2014 15:27 Edited at: 25th Mar 2014 15:30
Some animating and scripting coming together.

Got the script to play 4 animations in the order and the range that I wanted.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
This pack is getting better and better. Well done.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Super Clark
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 08:31
Thanks for the Free Stuff matey
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 06:18
Add all this via the construction kit and its going to be pretty awesome man!

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 13:40
PirateMyke – Roads And Signs Pack Vol 3 – Rail Road

Contains:

Rail Road:

1 straight track section gravel bed and rails. 78 feet

1 curve right track section gravel bed and rails. 156 feet

1 curve left track section gravel bed and rails. 156 feet

1 20 degree x-crossing track section gravel bed and rails

1 half curve right track section gravel bed and rails.

1 half curve left track section gravel bed and rails.

1 switch out right track section gravel bed and rails.

1 switch out left track section gravel bed and rails.

1 rail road crossing with surface street and side walks

1 rail road yard section (reversible).

1 end track barrier earth

1 end track bumper Steel

Signals:

1 rail road crossing signal gate animated ans scripted for range.

1 rail road crossing signal gate non animated in down position

1 rail road crossing signal gate non animated gate up position

1 rail road signal light tall

1 rail road signal light short.

1 rail road switch signal and switch box.

Buildings:

1 2 story building with doors (non animated) and windows (closed), with stair case to second story.

These models may be used for what ever purpose you choose commercial or not.

Textures are from CG textures and the licenses apply to the textures which state good for commercial work, just don't sell the textures in a pack by themselves.

If used, credit would be great but not needed. Myke price (pirate Myke) – email in button below. download in download button. Link also in first post.

I will check this stuff when the construction kit comes out and see how it will work. This might be a good way to put them in, depending on how it snaps together.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
hey myke love the stuff your doing m8

thanks for the models giving them a test right now looking awesome

with luck when the conkit is released this works well with your work.

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 16:15
Cool. I put some map files in the mapbank\RoadsAndSignsPack folder.

This will show some of the issues you will run into and give ideas how to set them. Maps of the roads and other stuff also.

Yankee1950
Years of Service
User Offline
Super...Thanks for sharing.
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
hey pirate myke, I know your probably busy working on stuff to do with these and they are all excellent models man, but perhaps a T junction and a culd-de-sac road models would fit in nice with these aswell? cross roads are good but sometimes not needed, and a dead end turn around road also would work well for some areas. just some ideas for you if you didn't have plans for them already?.

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2014 17:25
Ok. will put them on the list. Thanks for the input.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
no problem your welcome and thank you for everything so far .

got something im working on for next beta release will defo show my work with your models m8, right now though im out of memory for doing anything else and so cant/wont show an unfinished project lol.

but im having great fun working with them fitting stuff together and mapping out a town road/rail system.

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2014 17:53 Edited at: 30th Mar 2014 18:03
@almightyhood:

What kind of dimension are you looking for the cul de sac. They come in many different radius's depending on the number and size of lots going around them.

I am guessing this one will need side walks also?

Here is a link to s
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
well im sure your best judgement for such things is fine m8, maybe various sizes, also forgot to mention, the highways barriers any chance on doing a half length 1 sided straight and a full size 1 sided straight barrier please? its just there is nothing like that and it is needed when using the on off ramp.

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2014 18:24
Ok, will put them on the list also.

Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2014 22:07
NICE!! You can bet these will be used again, and again. Thanks for sharing buddy.

Back from the Wasteland.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2014 22:11
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Really nice work Myke and very generous of you to give it out your time freely.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 01:04
Thanks, Rolfy. Like I said in the first post, I get from the forums, so I give to the forums. There will be more to come.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2014 19:39 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2014 21:07
PirateMyke – Roads And Signs Pack Vol 4 – Road Stuff Cont.

Contains:

Road:

1 Surface Street Tee section with sidewalk

1 75ft Radius symmetrical cul-de-sac

1 complete Guard rail for the access ramp entity. Solid rails on non exit side and just rails between off ramp and on.

1 straight guard rail 78ft long x1

1 straight guard rail 156ft long x2

1 straight guard rail 234ft long x3

1 straight guard rail 312ft long x4

1 straight guard rail 390ft long x5

1 inside curve guard rail only

1 outside curve guard rail only

Installation: This pack only. Extract all files into the entitybank\piratemyke folder.

DONT USE THIS DOWNLOAD File in download button, USE THE ONE 2 POSTS DOWN. THIS ONE MISSING TEXTURES.. Also a link for this pack is in first post.

These models may be used for what ever purpose you choose commercial or not.

Textures are from CG textures and the licenses apply to the textures which state good for commercial work, just don't sell the textures in a pack by themselves.

If used, credit would be great but not needed. Myke price (Pirate Myke) – email in button below

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
hey piratemyke, thanks for the work you did so far m8, very nice of you to do the requests so fast

here is a screen shot of the cul-de-sac and T-junction but something is a little wrong

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2014 20:53 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2014 21:02
Texture. I wanted to reuse the texture for the first roads pack. I will fix the path in the fpe file and repost the .rar file.

Works fine pointing them on my machine. but for ease of the rest of the world. I will include the textures in the updated file in a few minutes. Sorry about that.

Ok. Try this one instead. Sorry to make you download the whole thing again.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
no problem m8 thanks

the cul-de-sac looks perfect btw

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2014 21:13
Thanks,

but I would like to be able to have a higher resolution one. I am just not in love with the 80 sided circle at that size. I would like more curve personally. But for most games this should not tax the system to much as it is.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
yep works great now piratemyke topman for doing this soooo fast!! and thanks again m8

PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
hey piratemyke m8,

here is a quick test run of your work m8, hope to use them a lot more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOoG6mUXd4w&feature=youtu.be

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 04:07
Cool, looks interesting with the lights.

Working on some railroad bridges and trestles.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah im getting into this game making lol, your models are great and im getting better at fitting them all together, only a few rough spots now to get fixed. and its just so fun using them and getting a layout made up .

Quote: "Working on some railroad bridges and trestles."

interesting, my other map im working on has the railroads started and some of the roads done, but memory got the better of me as it is a larger setup.

do you have any plans for train station platforms and alike m8?

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 05:46
Glad your having fun. I found myself spending a couple of hours at a time playing with this stuff.

I was thinking about a station platform for the railroad stuff. I am also toying with the idea of a high speed magnetic track for a scifi game use.

Then that brings the question of rail cars and engines. I know there are a few out there, but would need to be made reloaded ready and possibly scaled to fit these tracks. we will have to see.

Got some more classic FPSC work to do, so not sure on the time frame on this new stuff.

Maybe if a Mod gets a chance, the title of this thread could be changed to 'PirateMyke - Roads, Rail Roads, and Signs Packs'

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah im in no rush for models tbh, just curious how far you intended to go with this line of assets for reloaded.

im thinking on having a monorail or something for my game idea later down the line, maglev train would be awesome as im doing a sci fi zombie game set on a different planet in a distant galaxy far far away lol..

but I don't have the wip going yet as im very paranoid some1 better could do my idea before me lol...

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 06:00
It could go a long way I suppose. There are lots of variations that could be covered, plus a hundred signs or so, just for US roadways, let alone other countries.

Then once scripting get together more, more animated stuff.

So it is a good possibility. Email me some ideas you have and I will see what I can come up with.

tommy8
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 04:15
This is fantastic, my only gripe is its really hard to keep the roads at ground level. The roads keep getting buried!
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
i hit page up once to get to the right lvl but this is abit hit and miss at times though.

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 05:38
yes I am hoping that when you adjust the height in the new beta, that it will hold the height and you wont have to do that. Don't really have an easier way of doing this at the moment, and no one has shed any light as to do it another way on the thread. I am waiting to see the construction kit when it is released and then all these will have to be updated anyway.

Have you been able to open any of the maps I supplied to see how I laid them down and sculpted the terrain around them?

I have about 5 or 6 maps that I started to play and test these. Finding out that you kind of need a plan for laying them out and deciding if you are going to mix the rail road with the regular road stuff. If you will be utilizing the highway ramp or bridges or over pass. the last three should be placed first and you river or under roadway be planned for such use. set out the pieces and then go to each one and align. Seems the snap gets a bit off at the outer edges of the mapping zone.

What I would like to do is do the striping as overlays somehow, if we get that feature. It will allow smoother texture transition to other sections.

All in time. Was also thinking that I could keep this going for a good while adding different themes of roads and rail roads. Western roads, bridges, scifi, magnetic and so on. Was driving on the freeway today and noticing all the things that can be made into entities.

So we shall see how it goes and see what we will be able to do in the future.

But more good stuff coming for sure.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 08:29 Edited at: 4th Apr 2014 08:30
I seem to be saying this a lot, but another great addition.

It would be nice to see some 'worn' textured versions of the road, I can't texture to save my life, but I might have a go if I can find time (if you don't mind), as I've got to start somewhere .

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 09:37
Have some plans for a bunch of stuff and variations. Just waiting for the features to make it happen. Having overlays to do the road markings opens up better texturing and more options that can be made easier.

Here's what is going on at the moment. Rail Road Steel Trestle 300 foot span.

Probably going to add a pier in the center and finish the sway braces in the upper part. I think a signal light on each side would be good also.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
that's a long bridge piratemyke lol, awesome looking aswell

PM
tommy8
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 19:12
Pirate Mike, if you don't mind i might have a go at retexturing these using UK style road markings, then i might make a UK and Ireland pack.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 19:17
@ Tommy8: Sure go ahead, have fun and good luck. I am kind of waiting for overlays again to do these up proper for road markings.

[href=http://www.insomniagame.awsome.pl/][Nothing but coffee in my veins 'Insomnia is Coming'[/href
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2014 21:14 Edited at: 5th Apr 2014 21:16
Hi. Not had time to read all of this thread, it's getting long

I decided to download em and have a look and noticed with the first object I tried, your house model that the windows were not transparent. As it has an interior, I though I'd have a play. I've changed the texture so they are semi opaque now. Not too much as they look fairly dirty from the texture, but enough to see through.

Great work so far!

Hope you don't mind!

Oh, the house by the way, is just under the terrain and flickers quite badly. You can fix this by pressing pgup a touch, but would be great if you could nudge the model up a bit in whatever program you use to model not a biggie, but could be forgot when placing on mass

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Heres the texture.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2014 01:14 Edited at: 6th Apr 2014 07:25
Thank you and I don't mind. They can be modified as you wish. I have left a lot of space for all the objects to have the terrain be sculpted around them.

I will see how far up I need to nudge it. I thought I had it at zero height.

Also about the windows and doors. Some time down the road when scripting and transparency and the ability to pick already set small objects for editing are squared away. I will make different ones with the separate doors and windows that can be scripted. It was just a little building to hide in, nothing special.

Remember that the top of the rails and the crown of the road are at the zero height for insert. I wish there was a way to lock the heights after you placed them down. This would prevent them from moving up and down with terrain changes.

Also in the Vol 3. archive, I have included some map files for the roads and railroads to show how they can be set.

Ok enjoy these and thanks for the comments.

Edit:

I had set the floor at zero height this way to accommodate the characters walking on it proper. I am guessing that if you were going to set a bunch right now that maybe altering the offset= value in the fpe file might work. I am in waiting as everyone else what the final setting and export values will truly be.

Smeg
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2014 16:57
Just d/l these and they work brilliantly, thank you for sharing, very much appreciated
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I always set any models I have so the base is at 0. This works fine in Reloaded as far as I can see. It doesn't matter if theres a little lip to walk over, in fact it looks better, how many houses have you seen that are flush to the floor? Rule of thumb is to make the very bottom of your object the 0 origin. This won't change no matter what happens to Reloaded, you can be sure. It's the same in every language I have used that works with 3D.

I'm not criticising by the way. I think this stuff is great. Just trying to help you get it all working out of the box so to speak. At least with flat floors. Obviously with uneven floors you always have to play about a little. I've not actually tried anything else but the house yet, so can't say about the road segments. I'll have a play a little later if I get chance.

Personally making 3D stuff takes ages, so this is great stuff!

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2014 18:35 Edited at: 6th Apr 2014 18:42
You will not like these then. They are not what you will want. I am waiting for the construction kit to see how everything will integrate.

These were not made for a flat terrain. they where made to be sculpted into the terrain getting rid of repetition on a small scale.

But feel free to import them into a model program and set the zero where you would like. Until they make it so characters will walk on the top of dynamic and static entities, this is all just eye candy anyway.

But thank you.

@Smeg: Thank you, glad you like them.

Atlantis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2014 20:01
Thank you so much for the models. Very well done!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Cripes. Now I feel I have upset you and that was not the intention. I thought it would be an easy fix, but if you don't feel it's needed fair enough. If I could import .x models into Blender I would sort it myself. I can live with repositioning it in Reloaded, just thought I would point it out, as it's the first thing I noticed!

I don't think there is much point worrying about the construction kit at the moment. When it is released, or at least when it is near ready enough to start stating specs for stuff, we can worry about it. Until then we just need to make stuff as best we can.

Obviously, an entire building would not have any use in the construction kit anyway, in this case. I think it will be more about making individual components you can use to make up the house. Let's hope the next beta phase is all about the construction kit more so than performance!

Anyway, thanks for the models! This really helps us non/hobby modellers out. I'll quit pointing out small issues now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 08:29:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 08:29:41