3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Spec map and diffuse map and normal texturing.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2014 16:33 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2014 16:41
Hello everyone hopefully someone can help me out here.

When i create a model and it's done i find myself a good looking texture and Uvw unwrap it. Once that is done. It's done i export and do all the stuff to get it into fpsc:r. But my texturing is (alright) but could be a lot better. So my point is. What comes first and in what order should i do it.

Texturing - diffuse mapping - spec mapping or?.

I want my models w/ the texture to look even better.

Right now i only got 1 layer of texture on my models created via uwv unwrapping.

What i'm trying to understand or just get into is how to create models that looks better than normal. A uwv unwrapping can look good. But it can look better if you do a certain thing to it.

Your signature has been erased by a mod, please reduce it to no larger than 600 x 120.
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 12:53 Edited at: 26th Feb 2014 13:15
All the texture information can be found in the 'Docs' folder of your Reloaded directory 'Importing models into FPS Creator Reloaded.pdf'

Docs wrote: "

Diffuse Image map

A Diffuse map is a texture you use to define a surface's main colour.

In order to work well with a normal map and a specular map, a good diffuse texture should not have any directional lighting included, it should only have generic "ambient occlusion" - i.e. the surface gets darker in deep cracks and around embossed details. If you are generating your normal maps from high-poly geometry, you should bake a matching ambient occlusion pass from the geometry and multiply this on top of your diffuse texture to make sure that the lighting matches the normal map.

Please note the following carefully to make sure the model imports correctly.

The diffuse image map must be in .dds format (not jpeg, bmp, png or gif)

The name of the file must end in ‘_D.dds’

o For example “mymodel_D.dds”

The diffuse, normal and specular texture files must share the same name and must be in lowercase apart from the suffix.

o Example:

mymodel_D.dds

mymodel_N.dds

mymodel_S.dds

Normal Image Map

Normal mapping, or "Dot3 bump mapping", is a technique used for faking the lighting of bumps and dents - an implementation of Bump mapping. It is used to add details without using more polygons. A common use of this technique is to greatly enhance the appearance and details of a low polygon model by generating a normal map from a high polygon model or height map.

The normal image map must be in .dds format (not jpeg, bmp, png or gif)

The name of the file must end in ‘_N.dds’

o For example “mymodel_N.dds”

The diffuse, normal and specular texture files must share the same name and must be in lowercase apart from the suffix

o Example:

mymodel_D.dds

mymodel_N.dds

mymodel_S.dds

Specular Image Map

Specular maps are the maps you use to define a surface's shininess and highlight colour.

The higher the value of a pixel (from black to white), the shinier the surface will appear in-game. Therefore, surfaces such as dry stone or cotton fabric would tend to have a very dark specular map, while surfaces like polished chrome or plastic would tend to have lighter specular maps.

The colour of a pixel is also used, to calculate the resulting colour of the surface. A very saturated specular map will have a very different visual effect than a grey specular map. If you need a more "neutral" highlight on a surface, your specular map should use the inverse of the diffuse map's colour. Using the same colour on the specular as on the diffuse will result in a more saturated highlight when viewed in the game.

You can use contrasts in specular to make a surface appear more visually interesting in the game - for example, this door has a very dark specular for the wood while the metal parts are much lighter, which will make the metal stand out more as a shinier surface when light hits it. This sort of contrast can help make surfaces in the game appear more realistic too.

The specular image map must be in .dds format (not jpeg, bmp, png or gif)

The name of the file must end in ‘_S.dds’

o For example “mymodel_S.dds”

The diffuse, normal and specular texture files must share the same name and must be in lowercase apart from the suffix

o Example:

mymodel_D.dds

mymodel_N.dds

mymodel_S.dds"

HTH

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 13:27 Edited at: 26th Feb 2014 13:29
@E30Legend,

I think Tereith was asking more about the techniques of creating the image maps in question, rather than ways to import.

@Tereith,

What software are you using to create your diffuse textures?

I normally paint my diffuse,
Tereith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 14:03
Thanks both of you very informative. To be honest i really don't get the diffuse. Other then that. I use paint/gimp i can do a little my tut on what i actually do

First i create my model

Then i go on CG textures and find any texture i need or more if needed.

I then open paint and take all my texture and make them 1 picture. save and so on.

Then i start with the Uwv unwrapping. I select my textures and start unwraping so the texturing will look good.

After that i save my model and export it as a X file.

I then open gimp and export my texture picture as a dds

and place everything in my fpsc:r folder. And done. But my models could look better

Your signature has been erased by a mod, please reduce it to no larger than 600 x 120.
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 14:15 Edited at: 26th Feb 2014 14:15
I use Gimp as well. There is a neat little Normal map add on that does a good job at creating the normal maps for you with the click of a button.

https://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/

But, you will get much better results from actually baking them form the high poly model.

I can see one problem with your modelling process. You are creating your diffuse before you unwrap it.

My process usually goes:

• Create base mesh

• Unwrap and export the UV coordinates

• Add subsurf ready for sculpting

• Sculpt in smaller details

• Retopologise the high poly with low poly

• Bake normal maps and AO maps

• Open gimp and create diffuse using UV

• Create specular map from diffuse (using bond1's technique)

• Take the diffuse back to Blender and make sure it all looks ok

• Export as .X

• Done.

However, if you are creating an atlas texture, then this process will change as you will already have the texture there and you will need to play with the UV coordinates to match with the texture.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Tereith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 14:53
Thanks once again Unfamillia i'm gonna try it out. I sent you a skype request so i can get the hold on you faster if something happens.

Tereith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 16:44
Managed to render the UV Template of what my unwrapping looks like. What exactly am i suppossed to do with the template?

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 16:52
When you have got your UV coordinates in the most efficient places (use as much of the space as you can while keeping everything in proportion), you should be able to save that as an image. Simply take this image into Gimp and use that to map your textures out.

I might do a tutorial video of my process, to show you how to do it. I could do with a new video on my YouTube channel anyway. If I do, I will send you the link.

Oh, I will accept your Skype request once I get home.

Jay.

Tereith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2014 03:01
Seems great Jay. Would appreciate the video tutorial.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 11:20:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 11:20:15