3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Maximum ploys for character

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 21:10 Edited at: 20th Feb 2014 07:30
How many polys should I be looking at for a character in reloaded? Before it becomes unusable or just crashes.

PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2014 00:05
Not sure with characters but the max i can get is 20k on other things like buildings ect

After 20k it crashes for me

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2014 10:05
E30Legend, with organic models, I would expect to be sitting around 5-6K and with environment assets, (obviously depending on complexity) you should be well below that.

Don't think, 'What's my limit'. Its always good practice to keep all of your models as low poly as possible. You need to think of the bigger picture. If you are creating a huge map that will be populated with a large number of assets, you will need to keep the overall number of polys down.

When you have finished modelling, before you UV map, take a step back and look at your model. then ask yourself, what would happen if I removed that loop cut? would it destroy the overall silhouette I am trying to achieve? If not, would it ruin the look of the model? If not, remove it. on most occasions, you will see that you can actually save yourself a LOT of ploys just removing unnecessary loops cuts.

As you progress with modelling, you will build this practice into your modelling process and own't need to actually 'take a step back'.

I have seen your WIP modelling thread. You are definitely on the right track to becoming a great 3D artist. Keep up the good work and you will go far.

@TattieBoJangle, 20k on a building? Really? Is it a really intricate building? Or is it a background environment asset?

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2014 13:00
@TattieBoJangle, Thanks for maximum info

@unfamillia, Fantastic information, thanks, just what I needed. I was trying to cram as much detail in to the character as possible but from what you have written above I can see I'm look at this all wrong. A step back is definitely needed !

Thanks for the kind comments

PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2014 13:34
@E30Legend,

No problem.

Have you started to play with the Normal Maps yet? That's how you will achieve all the the finer details in your models.

As you progress with your modelling skills, you will start to sculpt your models and bake th
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2014 14:32 Edited at: 20th Feb 2014 14:33
I've played with Normal Maps on some of the model in my WIP thread but all very basic stuff at the moment, so a lot of the detail can be added through texturing and not modeling to keep polys low?

I haven't touched sculpting yet. I've looked at Sculptris, Zbrush & Mudbox and some of the work created in these programs is truly amazing. What do you use?

If anyone reading this wants to be inspired check out Zbrush or polycount forums !

PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2014 14:57
Yeah, normal maps are a powerful way to create the illusion of extra detail. You could take a completely flat sided box and add lots of panels and indents, scratches and all sorts. To the untrained eye, (sometimes the trained eye) it will look like a very high detailed model.

As you can see in the example. This modeller had created a low poly flat cube, then modelled a high poly version. Then baked the textures to the low poly. The low poly, plus the normal map looks like a high detailed model, whereas its actually only a 12tri model!!

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 13:38
Thanks for your example, I'll have to go and play now

Do you box or plane? I started box but now I'm finding it easier to plane.

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 13:49
In that example, the artist would have started with a cube, then sculpted it to give it the detail (or just some basic extruding and a lot of sub surf).

Then, they would re topo the model by simply placing faces over the high poly model, in the shape they want the final model to be. Then, simply hit bake. (obviously after setting it up to bake the normals) Unless you want to bake the textures as well?

What software are you using? I use Blender, so, the information I am giving is relating to that.

It will take a while to get used to it and to get the best looking bakes, but, keep at it and you will master it.

Jay.

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2014 16:42
I use 3ds Max but it's basically the same principle.

Now I have a better understanding of what I'm doing, I've started again with my character in my WIP thread.

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 16:31:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 16:31:25