3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Need Help With Normal Map

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 04:15 Edited at: 17th Feb 2014 04:20
I have been trying unsuccessfully to create a "good" looking chain for some models I'm creating. I usually either use flat plains with alpha texture or actually model it. Model works for very small things but due to many other higher poly models in the scene it's not possible it this case. The flat plains with alpha will not work because the chain will be visible from all angles so the flat shows up too much. So I thought a good normal map will help. I have tried to bake out the normal in xNormal but seem to have met with failure. All I get is a flat blue or all black image. I'm pretty sure that blender can do what I need but I don't use it. And unfortunately all the tutorials I have been able to find are out of date. The info may be correct but the programs interface is different in the newest version and I only end up getting confused. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. Also before someone says just use alpha on a flattened diamond shape..... Tried that but can't seem to get that to work correctly. It seems you trade the flat look for a gap between the two sides of the chain link. The texture will not wrap to the edge all the way and even tho it doesn't look flat at angles it looks like two black donuts as you can plainly see the open seam. I have looked closely at the chains used in Skyrim, and a couple of other games. They are made using the flattened diamonds. Looks good in the game but load it in a modeler and you will see the seams on their model too so not sure how to go about fixing the seams since obviously they didn't fix it either. If there is a trick to getting rid of that gap, I don't know about it.
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 04:32 Edited at: 17th Feb 2014 04:43
Would this be any good to you and if so what format would you like it it ?

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, TattieBojangle

I could probably make use of it. obj or x would be nice.

I'm trying to get a good normal map and texture for just a single link. I want to make a chain and put some IK joints in it so I can quickly and easily drag it around and shape it however it needs to be for any place I choose to put it. Could also be animated pretty easily that way. Would save me a lot of time setting up scenes with many chains. That's why I'm trying to use blender. I'll get my head around it sooner or later. Anyway Thanks.
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 11:54
.X .MAX .OBJ files included you can change it to a single link.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@TattieBojangle

Thanks for the chain model. It's a very nice one. However, it doesn't solve my original problem.

@ everyone,

A better explanation of the problem and my solution so far.

When i made the original post I was trying t
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2014 00:49
This is always a decision that needs to be made.

If the low poly transparent object is not good enough, is the object important enough to be made with full real geometry (low Poly with Smoothing on and a decent normal map).

One must decide some kind of poly limit you would except for the look and functionality you are trying to attain.

Make a solid link with 4 side, and one with six sides and one with 8 sides and apply smoothing to make the surfaces appear round. Figure the length of the total chain you need and multiply that by the number of links it would take to make it, Decide if that is in your limit, If not go to the next less sided link till you get an acceptable chain for your application.

If the chain is an important enough entity then having it be 10,000 polys is not to much of a sacrifice to be made. It is the cost of a character minus all the animations.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This is always a decision that needs to be made.

"

So very true.

Quote: "Make a solid link with 4 side, and one with six sides and one with 8 sides and apply smoothing to make the surfaces appear round"

And watch the geometry start disappearing when you move around it. Acceptable in most cases but not in my case. I would think I explained that clearly enough.

Quote: "One must decide some kind of poly limit you would except for the look and functionality you are trying to attain."

That is the main problem here. This is not just one model. It is just prop in a much larger scene. The poly count of the entire scene must be thought of. The problem is that even though its only a prop, it's going to be one of the largest objects in the scene and right in the middle of the room, so of course it has to look good. So I had to find a compromise between low poly and looks good enough.

Quote: "If the chain is an important enough entity then having it be 10,000 polys is not to much of a sacrifice to be made"

Also true in most cases. But 10k ?

However, in this particular case, Both the very low poly and the high poly chain are not acceptable due to the scene they are in. The poly count of the scene is already getting too high. So tell me... how the hell am I supposed to throw 10k or more polys at it? I never said this is how to make a chain. I never said it is the only way or even the best way. I never even said it is how "I" make my chains. I said, "It is the ONLY acceptable solution I have found in this particular case. Simply because the low poly cannot give me the look I need and the high poly is out of the question.

I posted this info in case it might help anyone else in the same situation. This is not a tutorial or how to. It is a how I did it.

No offense intended by this question:

How in the world are you all going to get Reloaded to run for you when you keep throwing high poly models at it. 10K+ poly for a chain? Get real. What if there are 20 of those in the scene. You shouldn't even be using characters with 10k.
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 17:51
I know you said you have tried the usual trick of having two planes in cross formation with an alpha channel. I understand that might not work due to verying viewing angles; however, have you tried to up the number of planes you have? Why not add 4 or more planes? Would this not give the desired result.

I am only suggesting this and have not tried it myself.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I tried using 4 or more planes. With any low poly chain three is going to be some parts of the geometry that will simply disappear at certain angles. Usually this is not a major concern, just a minor inconvenience. The blinking geometry will never be seen in most cases or is not very noticeable. However in this case the main viewing angle is from underneath the chandelier. It will also be visible all the way around it too. So the disappearing geometry is extremely visible and noticeable. Multiple plains make it less noticeable but one whole chain still disappears as you walk around it from underneath, looking up. Looks kinda funny when I see my 4 chain chandelier hanging by only 3. My solution still has invisible sections but at least the entire chain doesn't vanish. So it solved my problem. If I would make the room's ceiling much higher it would also solve the problem as the chains would be far enough away that you couldn't see the defect in the first place. But since the room is already built I figured it would be easier to upgrade the chain.
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 18:13
Either that or just use rope! haha.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Either that or just use rope! haha.

"

Amen to that. lol

IF I had it to do all over I probably would.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 19:53:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 19:53:43