Product Chat / Player, Weapon FOV and Movement

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Player/Weapon Distortion : FOV

Whats with the stretch armstrong Player arms and weapon? See attached screen shot.

This is with FOV set at 100% which is what I wish to use as it gives me a far superior and better visual game experience and actually I get an extra few fps when I have low fps in any case so not to be sniffed at. Not sure why 100% width FOV gives me more fps when logically I and the engine is presumably seeing more but there you go.

As to the player arms and weapon and distortion. This was not the case in previous versions where they player arms and weapons adjusted scale correctly to changes in FOV at least somewhere along a line of not being so ridiculously looking. In fact I did have am issue with this in as much as the FOV was squishing up the player arms and weapon in the horizontal whereas now it is extreme to say the lest in the forward and reverse axis whatever that is in the Reloaded game world.

Can we fix this so the player position (arms and weapon) moves/adjusts automatically to a correct perspective relative to FOV and Camera position to a sensible position without distortion and or provide internal editor users control to move the player/weapon and camera relationship manually to get the correct setting. Of course this may may not solve the issue for your end users but at least you can make your game with a correct setting for the player regarding this. Ideally of course this should not happen at all to such extremes and be catered for internally and automatically by the engine/editor as adjustments to FOV and or other settings are made. One more visual thing which places Reloaded in a bad light visually. You would not want to distribute a game or even show a screen shot of it to anyone displaying that would you?

Player Movement :

Not sure why this keeps being changed endlessly over years. Can we at least reduce the widely swinging back and forth from side to side of player arms and weapon most marked of course when running. Not sure if this has now been adjusted to accommodate The Rift or other but it surely does not have to be so extreme.

Talk about getting sickness using the Rift. I get sea sick just running around the level with the player arms and weapon playing havoc on the eye and brain. I would like to be able to enjoy walking around and experience and enjoy the level and whats in it and concentrate on gameplay. Enemies and so on without having the player arms and weapon flashing widely from side to side interrupting and confusing visual concentration of the whole. Walking or especially running during Game Play being more of a chore than enjoyment.

Who actually behaves like that when walking or running with a weapon? I hope no one. Keep good control of your weapon would be good advice I would think.

Whatever do we always need to have such seeming extremes and over accentuate everything? just so we can say - look what we have the player arms and weapon move around when you play the game - just like a pro engine. Well not quite I think. Well not what I would call pro anyway. Perhaps its just me.

If you look at the same attached screen shot and look at the inset image the Rifle which swings much more widely around than the pistol is way off center here and the weapon Cross hair nowhere near it. Obviously one should be set to the point of the other and move simultaneously. Where the weapon points the cross hair is or should be. Of course we know what the reason is here for these things I understand that so don't expect the cross hair to move and personally don't like that anyway. However as the weapon moves such great distances the cross hair becomes obviously a game world stuck on icon not being relative to the weapon at all. A little sensible and reasonable weapon movement is all that's needed to give the player some life not something so severe it makes looking at the screen and playing the game uncomfortable.

Not sure if the enemies will be able to shoot at the player when they are running or strafing and alike. But the player can shoot while running. Have you tried it? When the player runs the weapon is everywhere. One second its pointing off to the left out of the viewable world and when you fire the weapon it attempts to find the relative cross hair position then jumps immediately back into swing mode all over the place until you fire again. You will have a job to shoot anything while running through the ability to try is good.

Not sure why FPSC/Reloaded has always had this problem of the player arms/weapon not having a sensible happy medium and either people are asking for more movement when there's none or we get the very opposite highly erratic movement extremes. If we have a fixed cross hair can we keep it reasonably appropriate to that and sensible without extreme default core animation movement and giving the end users some control over all of the above by management of these movements and positions which may already being considered as to add as far as I know. The problem is that if the animations and model positioning themselves are extreme in movement/position I guess the end user can have much less ability to adjust anything of value.

At least we don't seem to have the extremes of recoil as have been seen in the past with Classic when you could hardly keep a weapon on target or hit a barn door from 50 paces. Lets hope that don't creep into Reloaded too.

Gentle and sensible movement and controllable weapons are all that's needed. There are existing or should be a multitude of other ways to make your game play by game deign and user choice as hard and difficult as you like without having the enforced situation of extremes of player/weapon movement on screen during gameplay. It does not even look in the slightest realistic as its just to over exaggerated in the extreme and even if it was realistic its not very helpful in allowing your end game players to have just a little enjoyment being the most important and obvious thing about an FP Shooter. The game player.

A little more finesse and subtle qualities in this direction would go a long way.

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
yes indeed, i like to keep the camera fov to about 80 to minimise the "invincible" enemies issue and it just looks more realistic, we don't have tunnel vision in real life after all... but the arms definitely are stretched.

never even occured to me to try shooting while runnning... simply because like u say, the weapon is always pointing/swinging wildly, hopefully they can restrict shooting while running to iron sights only in future

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Dammit! I want a Stretch Armstrong now!

Quote: "Who actually behaves like that when walking or running with a weapon?"

Actors They do seem to have got the hang of driving these days though

Overacting movements, or exaggerating, is common with animation, although I do agree the swing may be a bit much. Perhaps they could have it for a burst of speed, rather than the basic run?

I haven't noticed Stretch Armstrong arms myself as such, although I did wonder why the gun seems to be in a somewhat odd position, relative to the player. I'm sure if you really shot a rifle or shotgun from that position it could seriously hurt you! Still, it's a minor point and easily fixed, well, kind of. Never hurts to point out this sort of thing though.

I had a Stretch Monster, never had Armstrong (Although I did once consider saving one off the front of a truck. Poor guy.). Ended up de-juicing the Monster to try to use as a skin for another figure. Bad move, lol. Things we try as kids.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 01:21:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 01:21:28