3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Spotaru's 3D Model Thread

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 01:15 Edited at: 12th Feb 2014 04:51
I decided to start posting all my model work in the same thread, like I used to in my DBP days. Keeps me more organized and prevents having a thousand little threads everywhere.

First off for those that do not know me. My name is Johnny. My user name on almost every forum I go to is Spotaru. Pronounced; Spot ah roo You know like kangaroo lol. Anyway I have been modeling in 3D and with scale models for many years and just recently started getting back into it after quite a few years off. I am looking forward to working and growing with Reloaded and the Reloaded community. I am currently working on a set of swamp styled assets and a set of old medieval style buildings. And since I am, in a way a beginner, all comments good or bad are appreciated. It helps to know what's good and what's not. I cannot improve a model if others will not comment on it. And you never know......I may give it away. I love to give away free models from time to time.

For now I will keep the swamp models in the swamp asset thread:

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=207664&b=8

I am still working on them I just needed a break so I started playing around with some buildings. The first is a shed or stable. Seen in this thread:

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=207774&b=8

The rest of my models will now all be in this thread from now on.

The first actual building wip. Just playing around with aesthetics and getting the scale right atm.

Note that one wall in the above pic has vertical planks. Which looks better? the vertical or the horizontal. I personally think horizontal looks better.

The next pics are just to get a sense of the scale compared to the character.

Are the colors OK? or do they need to be more grey? (desaturated look)

Note: Textures are not final. In fact if you look at the last pic you will see rock on the inside wall instead of planks. ooopppps I forgot to change that lol. I definitely don't like the rocks inside. Maybe in a fireplace chimney but not on the wall lol.

Will post more soon,

Spot
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
After starting the interior, I found the rock looks pretty good after all. I think I like it better than the planks.

I can't draw very well, so I find it easier to slap together a small scene to get an idea of what my concept will look like. Here is a couple of early concept pics. Seriously needs some set dressing but I think I like the early look.

NOTE: the furniture and tonnes are not made by me. They were downloaded from TurboSquid

Spot
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 09:19
That looks realy nice.

For the planks. Horizontal looks indeed better.

Maybe just a little bit more grey into it. but thats just me its a matter of taste.

And the scale looks allright.

Gr

Harry

Harry
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks Harry

Yes, I like the grey wood look too. I will probably make most of the wood more grey on the final texturing. Glad to hear the scale is good. I usually model buildings with at least one character standing there. It helps me to get the scale right.
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Working on the tables.

Replaced the turbosquid tables with my own.

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 11:49 Edited at: 14th Feb 2014 11:50
Very nice !

My only suggestion would be to move the textures about on the floor, you can see the same pattern throughout.

PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 20:11 Edited at: 14th Feb 2014 20:12
thanks E30Legend.

I was wondering when someone would say something about the floor. Should look a little better now that I've worked on the tiling a bit.

Also started on the upper level and some new barrels to replace the turbosquid ones. (The grey ones)
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 22:25 Edited at: 15th Feb 2014 00:03
More work on the floor.

The new barrels.

Avram
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 12:30
Looking great!

no signature
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 14:10
Looking great. I have been working on barrels myself, this one is much better. Keep up the good work.

I've got something to say

----

It's better to burn out than fade away.
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 15:53
Nice looking barrels

Gr

Harry
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 18:12 Edited at: 15th Feb 2014 20:49
Starting to work a chandelier. The place needs some lights.

Edit:

Almost finished. Need to work on the chains now.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Chains done.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 23:32
Should look cool with little flames coming from the candles .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Should look cool with little flames coming from the candles "

Working on that. Having some trouble getting the flame to look just right. I'm hoping Reloaded will have fire and smoke particles or at least flickering lights to do the flame effect with.

Spot
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 01:47 Edited at: 24th Feb 2014 01:57
Working on some food to go on the tables.

Also some bottles and mugs

wildman4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 02:22
Very nice!
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
More added to the food collection.

HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 21:28
wow.. these looks really good.

Nice work

Harry
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still around and modeling, patiently waiting for the next beta. Also due to the limitations of my old modeling software and the increased need for better texturing and normal maps in Reloaded, I have moved over to Blender. The last few weeks have been spent getting used to the programs interface and RE-learning everything. For example: there is no such thing as modifiers in my old programs. You can't even make a loop-cut easily in my old program. Hence the need to move on. So far everything is much faster and usually easier to do in Blender and I am hitting every tutorial I can as fast as I can. I have pretty much stopped work on all my wip models until I can get my workflow figured out in Blender. As I RE- learn I will be giving away a few models as I complete the tutorials.

Well back to the tutorials.

Spotaru
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is the first one I will be giving away. I watched a couple of tutorials and thought I would give an ISO container a try. It's not to exact scale or even snapped. The outside dimensions are 19'10" L x 8' W x 8'6" T and I tried to stay within that but the rest is pretty much guessed from pictures.

Starting on the doors and hardware now. I can't decide weather to open them and build the interior or not.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2014 15:01 Edited at: 12th Apr 2014 15:03
Haven't had a lot of time to work on this model lately. It's almost done, working on final texturing and getting the poly count down. The high poly version was around 20k. I have that worked down to 4612 at the moment. I can get it even lower when I get the door hardware optimized. (working on that now)The corner blocks were a -------- Getting them from high poly to low was a nightmare! Got them down from thousands to 118 polys each so that wasn't too bad.

latest screenshot:

Note: There is no door hardware in the screenshot. It's just the shadows of them on the AO map.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2014 20:28
looking good mate

cheers henry

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2014 16:22
Great looking model mate.

I know you said you are still optimizing; but, 4612 poly's seems rather high for an environment asset. Is this going to be enterable? will the doors be animated for the player to open?

I can take a look at the model so far to see I could have a fresh perspective on it (to see if I could remove any further polys). Only if you want of course.

All that said, you have done a great job on this so far.

Cheers

Jay.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "looking good mate"

Thanks Henry.

Quote: "Great looking model mate."

Thanks Jay.

Quote: "I know you said you are still optimizing; but, 4612 poly's seems rather high for an environment asset"

Very true. However, I never intended this to be low poly game ready asset, but a learning experience. I'm still just practicing and learning how to get along with Blender's interface and tools. I was going to watch the video tutorials from on modeling a shipping container at cgcookie. I did watch about 15min of the 1st vid from the 4 part series of vids. My internet went down for a few days and couldn't watch them, so I figured I would give it a try from what I already knew. Which isn't very much when it comes to blender. I think I actually learned more doing it that way than watching the tutorials. It was a strong lesson in how NOT to build a model for a game. But I DID learn alot. I am far more comfortable with Blender now than before I started this model. I also learned how NOT to UV map a model if you want to bake an AO. Had to remap several times to fix the wrong shadows caused by overlaping geometry. There are still a few bad spots in the model but this being my 1st real attempt to bake an AO, I think I did ok. My old programs did not have baking. Anyway I am going to start from scratch and build another one. This time I will try me best to keep the poly count down from the start and make it game ready.

Spotaru
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2014 23:29
Very nice work!

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2014 00:16
Quote: "Anyway I am going to start from scratch and build another one"

Whoa! Don't do that! You will be able to optimise the one you have!

Send it to me and I will see what I can do. I know what you are saying about wanting to start a fresh, but, if you have a great starting point, there is no point in scrapping it to start something else.

cheers

Jay.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Whoa! Don't do that! You will be able to optimise the one you have!

"

Already started on the new one. I need the practice anyway.

If I run into any problems, I will send it to you to check out. The old one is in the free media thread if you want to look at it. The main places I can save polys is in the corner blocks and door hardware. Thanks for the offer though.
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
As I work on the new container, I started working on a hauler chassis for it. The texture on the tires is just a place holder to see what it looks like. The rim texture is mine. still needs some cross members in the frame and some landing gear. It will also be free when finished.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2014 03:53 Edited at: 20th Apr 2014 04:22
Almost done with the chassis.

Early Texture shot:

Another:

One more:

With container:

Didn't like the rear top of trailer so I changed it:

And yes it does say FPSC Reloaded on the back:

If I need to remove that plate from the trailer will a mod please let me know.

I'll probably give this one away too. Thought some free industrial strength advertisement would be ok.
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Starting on the truck now.

Starting to look like a truck:

I'll probably give the truck away too. The trailer is almost ready to give away. It still needs some landing gear.
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 13:34 Edited at: 21st Apr 2014 13:35
Great work Spotaru, looks like your learning loads at the moment.

Can't wait to see your tavern finished as well.

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks E30

I never thought switching modeling software could be so difficult, but I'm starting to feel comfortable with it now. Soon I'll go back to my real models instead of practice.

A couple more wip shots of the truck. It's getting there.

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 15:06
Very nice work

Also you are fine to use the FPSCR logo on your work it was made freely available on the website for press reasons and that is what you are using for, you are not claiming it as your own logo.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Finally got a chance to work on the truck some more. It's almost ready to start unwrapping and texturing. The only part actually textured is the wheels. I'll post both the truck and the trailer in the free model thread soon.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I wasn't happy with the underside of my truck so I decided to take it a little farther on the detail so I built the drivetrain assembly instead of blocking it all off. Here's a few shots of the frame and rear axles being scaled, spaced, and set in place. Still deciding on an interior or not.

Blocks are there to insure proper spacing.

Starting work on the rear suspension:

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 10:13
Great looking detail there mate. some of your normals are facing the wrong way (I know you would have found that out when you came to unwrap it)

I wouldn't like to unwrap this one! haha. Best of luck to you mate.

Cheers

Jay.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Great looking detail there mate. some of your normals are facing the wrong way (I know you would have found that out when you came to unwrap it)

"

Thanks Jay. I have run into the wrong facing normal a few times already. I spend almost as much time in textured mode looking for backwards faces and such as I do in edit mode making it in the first place. Though it does look like it, the normals actually are facing in the right direction on the model. The missing places (invisible) around the drive shaft are really missing. I haven't connected the shafts together yet. I left them that way incase I needed some fine adjustments to the parts positioning. Also the darker areas of the shafts are where 2 shafts are overlapping and not connected to each other yet.

Quote: "I wouldn't like to unwrap this one! haha."

Shouldn't be that bad. In the pictures shown of the driveline and frame there are only 7 parts so far.
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 15:34
The best way to see which way your normals are facing is, if you press 'N' to bring up the properties tab, then scroll to display (in edit mode) you will an option call normals. It will two small images next to it. One for edges and the other for faces. Click the image for faces and it will show some small blue lines coming out of the centre of the faces in the direction that the normals are facing. There is a slide next to the small images that controls the length of the blue lines that protrude from the faces.

Good looking model though mate. I can't wait to see this one textured!

Cheers

Jay.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the tip. I read that somewhere but forgot about it.
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Got some more time to work on the truck today. I know it's way to much detail for a game model and you're probably never going to need that much detail but I wanted to see if I could actually do something that complicated or not since I've only been using Blender for 2 months. When I get it all done I'll decide what to keep and what to ditch. Then I will make an LOD model from it. I will also give the lower poly version away when I'm done with it.

It still needs a few more braces and brackets but it's getting there.
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 22:14
The level of detail is SICK! It looks very nice.

Case: Antec 900, Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, CPU: AMD T1100 Thuban 6 core @3300 ghz stock settings, COOLER: Thermaltake Frio, MEM: G Skill Ripjaws X series DDR 3 @ 1866 9-10-9-28, HDD: 2 Western Digital caviar Black 750 Gb set in RAID 0, GPU: Saphire HD 6950 flashed with 6970 bios, PSU: Corsair CX750M, MS: Cyborg Rat 7, KB: Logitec G510, OS: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 17:58 Edited at: 9th May 2014 18:00
Im seeing problems with your truck....Its just to detailed..

its gonna break down right in the middle of the game and were gonna have to fix it which means....You have to do a toolset as well....

Those rear shocks alone are a right pain to replace !!

We just don't have time for vehicle breakdowns ingame

Seriously .... I would challenge any Vehicle company to do better..

That's just mind blowing !!
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I finally got a chance to start texturing the free truck. Here's a few shots of what I have so far.

headache rack:

battery box and fuel tank:

I hope to be finished soon. Look for the truck and the container chassis in the free section soon.
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2014 13:02
Really? Thats absolutely mind blowing the level of detail you have in this. I think it needs to go to the store so you get something from it. Id buy it! How ever free is awesome as well.

Case: Antec 900, Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, CPU: AMD T1100 Thuban 6 core @3300 ghz stock settings, COOLER: Thermaltake Frio, MEM: G Skill Ripjaws X series DDR 3 @ 1866 9-10-9-28, HDD: 2 Western Digital caviar Black 750 Gb set in RAID 0, GPU: Saphire HD 6950 flashed with 6970 bios, PSU: Corsair CX750M, MS: Cyborg Rat 7, KB: Logitec G510, OS: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Almost done. Still need to texture the doors and some minor adjustments.

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2014 18:28
Your truck is looking fantastic! Really nice texture work and great detail.

Keep up the good work.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Jay. Your tutorials actually helped me a lot in getting to know the blender interface. I still have a long way to go but I'll get there one day.

The free truck is finished except for the final scaling in Reloaded. The truck and trailer are scaled to match the container model I gave away. After downloading the 400 classic models, I loaded the lorry model and compared it's size to my truck. I think the lorry is actually too big. The bed of the truck is at chin level on the character. I don't think I've ever seen a flatbed that tall. And the top of the wheels come up to his chest. Never seen wheels that tall on a normal transport vehicle. Especially a single rear axle truck. So I'm not sure whether to scale all 3 of the free models up to match the lorry or not.

The top of the wheels on my truck around waist high to the character. That looks more realistic to me.

Here's a couple of real trucks to compare with also:

So is the lorry too big or is mine too small? Or maybe a little of both? Any opinions at all are greatly appreciated and as soon as I get this thing scaled correctly, I will place it in the free section.
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 06:23
Keep n mind what tractor your modeling after, Western, Mack, International or what ever, theyall dit differently so where the hood lands on one, it will not on another. Same with tires and well, everything else. Id say your right on the money with the scale. Looks awesome!

PM
wildman4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 12:55
Spotaru, this model looks fantastic and I also think you nailed the scale right on the money. Great job!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 00:22:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 00:22:55