Product Chat / Construction Kit - Paint Update

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 23:37
Hi,

We now have a basic paint facility within the Construction Kit. See more in this video update;

Rick

Development Director

TGC Team
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 23:41
Now this looks sooo good

Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree.

Now that's cooking on gas.

12 out of 10 and you cant get better than that.

That's what you might call a very helpful tool.

I understand the difference and perhaps difficulties - nice it would be if similar was available for choosing textures to paint terrain with though its no big deal at the end of the day.

J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 00:15
Now thats nice but it would be only useful

if we can paint

inner and outer faces of buildings with different textures.

Anyways, looking good

http://j0linar.blogspot.co.at/
PM
pianodavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 00:22
Very creative idea.

All you need is love....so let me have your burger.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 00:27 Edited at: 11th Feb 2014 00:27
I loved the hammer & now the paint roler ,Maybe a brush .

Quote: "Now thats nice but it would be only useful

if we can paint

inner and outer faces of buildings with different textures."

I agree with that,nice to see whats going on in the background.Thanks for all your hard work people .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
this actually looks good, had my doubts about it to begin with from the other vids earlier on. cant wait to see it when finished

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 01:39
P.S. Lee did not write this module and it has not distracted him from core and optimization work. The Construction Kit is being developed in parallel by another coder who is not Lee. This feature is not pulling TGC away from focusing on performance, memory and stability issues.

Hogging the awesome since 1999
danjo
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm.. is it really Christine using Lee's Login

this module looks great.
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 09:22
Great work !

Would the texture tool work on a custom model if it was something basic like a wall?

PM
BioDragonlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 13:55
LOL @ LEE

Great cover story

Love the Texture tool could probably only think of 1 item left

that's a big one and that would be to have the ability to adjust

the off set up and down / Left and right

other then that looks awesome

Bring It On

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 15:48
Very nice utility! I'd bet the person that makes that work on real walls would make Bill Gates look like a pauper. On a side note, I think it's a shame that Lee feels it necessary to post a disclaimer in third person, perhaps due to all the negative commentary as of late. It's in beta, folks!
PM
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 20:48
Hi,

We will let you paint different textures on different faces!

Lee is just making it clear that he'll be on the core engine for some time to come, ensuring we end up with an awesome game engine!

Rick

Development Director

TGC Team
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 22:15 Edited at: 11th Feb 2014 22:22
Will we be changing up the main terrain editor at all? A way to paint more than 2 textures? I find the overall editor quite limiting in that department. Perhaps a 3rd button could look like a customizable texture. Which when clicked on allows you to select from any terrain in the terrain bin?

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 22:18 Edited at: 11th Feb 2014 22:27
You can already paint more than two terrain textures, choose from number keys 4-7. if you use 3d editing view it will even tell you which texture your using by name. When painting if you use RMB it will paint default back over these other textures giving you a total of five to use.

4:pave

5:sediment

6:moss

7.rock

RMB:default grass..
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 22:27 Edited at: 18th Feb 2014 22:50
Though I'm curious about using multiple texture sets beyond just the 4 set fields.

J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 22:28
Thanks @RickV for confirming the painting on all faces.

I would like to propose to give access to the developement version of the construction kit to the Selected Community Beta Testers.

This would ensure that all related issues would be kept out of the public, given that there will be a closed forum for the selected community testers.

This way bugs and issues could be addressed in a controlled Environment so that current and future pledgers

can enjoy a working FPSCR.

Further i would suggest setting some behaviour lines for the testers.

such as

* Videos to showcase bugs - must be not listed

* Screenshots should be uploaded directly and only to the forum itself

@rolfy, would you mind to elaborate how this works with the terrain textures?

PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 22:42 Edited at: 12th Feb 2014 00:03
Dont know what to add really

It is a great tool as it actually does blend textures, if you lightly paint sediment over rock etc you can get some nice paint effects going on, particularly if you create custom textures designed to do this. I have been working on some terrain,cliff and rock models which I have made textures to go with for the terrain, not quite at a finished state but getting close, I have put a couple of screenshots in the gallery showing progress on this

I find it works well when in 3D edit to paint, as I said use the number keys 4-7 and RMB for default (1-3 are terrain edit tools) paint with these and simply experiment.

Would be nice if this paint style is applied to the construction tool, how awesome would it be to paint like this on entity's, sure would make your level like true Art

Thinking beyond mere rooms etc here....it would put Reloaded into the hands of those who like to paint, something I earned a good living from.

Thinking of it as a room creator the ability to brush on alpha's of rips, scratches,rust, blood splats whatever would certainly help with any repeating textures, also removing the need for overlays,.. in the classic version the way around this was to create 3-4 textures which the editor would randomize on walls and floors. But you were at it's mercy as to where these would appear.
BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 22:58
Hammer to build... paint brush to paint... what's next... forklift to perform the copy & paste?

Quote: "I would like to propose to give access to the developement version of the construction kit to the Selected Community Beta Testers.

This would ensure that all related issues would be kept out of the public, given that there will be a closed forum for the selected community testers.

This way bugs and issues could be addressed in a controlled Environment so that current and future pledgers

can enjoy a working FPSCR."

There is such a wide diverse of users and experience here that you will never have a "controlled environment". Plus what works for your "selected group" may not work for others.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 23:05
Well there is only one way to find it out besides if you think about it,

it would be clear that this is ment in the interest of Reloaded and the Community.

TGC might not be a big company and Reloaded might not yet be the game tool we all want but it is not only up to Lee and co. it is up to us as well.

We cant offer fixing bugs, neither coding new features but what we can do is to

test things like the Construction kit to ensure that it works afterwards for all.

PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "forklift to perform the copy & paste?"

It's got my vote.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 01:47
Quote: "forklift to perform the copy & paste?"

I could have went with a magic wand, but I know... all your toys have to be BIG!

Time will tell how useful this system is. I can't imagine making many or buildings of any size with it, but it may prove useful in other ways.. partial or interior structures? Have to play with it some.

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 02:01 Edited at: 12th Feb 2014 02:03
Do we really have to build areas while walking around?

What if we wish to construct things from a higher level, is there a fly mode?

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What if we wish to construct things from a higher level, is there a fly mode?"
Press 'g' to turn off gravity.Point up and walk forwards to rise above.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 02:29
Okay thanks, because I personally wasn't too excited that we'd be editing in first person which is subjected to the FOV settings. More used to editing in a camera free window without lens. After playing around with it I'm sure I'll get used to it.

BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 02:54 Edited at: 12th Feb 2014 02:59
Quote: "I could have went with a magic wand, but I know... all your toys have to be BIG!"

Cathy looked at this and said "scissors and glue bottle".

Quote: "Time will tell how useful this system is. I can't imagine making many or buildings of any size with it, but it may prove useful in other ways.. partial or interior structures? Have to play with it some."

Yeah, it just did not really make us go "wow". Instead, it reminded us of "Tonka Workshop", which our youngest plays and you "see" the tool they are using). I'm not knocking it, just did not seem to really catch or hold our interest.

Of course, we will have to edit the "hand" to hold something more useful- like a coffee cup.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 02:57
Quote: "

I find it works well when in 3D edit to paint, as I said use the number keys 4-7 and RMB for default (1-3 are terrain edit tools) paint with these and simply experiment.

Would be nice if this paint style is applied to the construction tool, how awesome would it be to paint like this on entity's, sure would make your level like true Art...

"

@rolfy this is actually a great idea but i fear that this would make the drawcalls explode, however its still early to tell but i for one would love such a system to paint textures

PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 03:39 Edited at: 12th Feb 2014 03:53
Not if the construction kit editor module painted in layers then flattened these to single layer at export, of course it may require that models be properly uv unwrapped first or if auto wrapped that models aren't too large to cause loss of resolution. Normals and Specular may be done same way but if not then the base texture Normal map could be used
J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 03:43
Aye sounds sane, well this is one more reason to let ppl play with it before including it into reloaded.

Stress testing and feature suggestion might fit in the same boat but are two totally different shoes.

At the end lookin forward to the Construction Kit is all we can do for now

and ofc make suggestions/ assumptions.

PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 04:24 Edited at: 12th Feb 2014 04:34
Actually if it would collapse layers in this way it would solve outright the problem of multi-texturing in Reloaded. If it is accepted it will 'fuse' meshes together and with individual face painting it already does something which is a major improvement then I don't see why this couldn't advance into drag and drop texturing on elements of a mesh such as fuse box or pipes on a wall using map channels, or giving elements their own uvw space within a single texture , whatever....we will see how it goes
BioDragonlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 09:19
@J0linar

I am all for the internal stress test before release I think that

it will help reduce negative feedback from other game makers if its fine tuned

before it hits the gold/silver/bronze pledgers

Bring It On

[img]
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 12:47 Edited at: 12th Feb 2014 12:49
Clearly the term Construction Kit could conceivably be interpreted as a tool to bring up various levels of features it might provide for in users expectations and aspirations for it. For example it could be helpful in somewhat basic primitives construction and everything in keeping with that as a level of sophistication - or it I guess it could be something more capable and advanced in all the areas relating to "Construction" of world objects including object shaping (curves) and manipulation, scaling, application of textures and so on.

As with most of the other tools added to be used the better the tool the better as it were generally speaking I guess. I guess it could be very sophisticated if developed so to be. I am sure TGC again will be aware of whats needed and that it will be as good as can be made even if it takes some time and is extended. Of course I know little of how it works and what it relies upon so again it may be limited to relatively simple constructions by internal restrictions of tool design that cant be overcome including affects or limitations on memory and performance. Again whatever the facts of that then if you are making it then whatever the objective level of end features and sophistication that is envisaged for the tool to then the core design of that tool should be completed first so that it can be built upon to meet the objectives if to be added to and updated later.

Really we or I at least have no idea how the designer of, engineering and mechanics of the tool internally works at all. TGC I guess have this all under their control, knowledge and plan for it and have taken all into account. Its a very basic prototype at the moment I would think so may provide for more later.

Beta Testing :

Black Fox is correct. TGC dont have enough internal testers really to be able to do all the testing that may be required in a short space of time.

They will be recruiting some users as additional Testers to help test upcoming further Beta releases before they are made more widely available. I would not know what their remit will be. My guess is that they will be set the task in the main of catching any obvious major issues especially "Show Stoppers" before general release.

One of the main issues with development with engines and FPSC historically has been the wide range and variety of different behaviours of the product and encountered by the very wide range of different users systems from the lowest to highest range of hardware and so on not withstanding the different software installations and alike and many other individual circumstances of their individual computers set ups too. Engine behaviour has always historically been quite varied and erratic across the wide range of users systems and made it very difficult to track down and fix issues. How often have you heard the term when an issue or bug is reported "Cant replicate that on my machine here" "I dont get that issue, its fine for me, I get some other issues that you dont"

One of the main difficulties has always been as Lee himself aluded to in his posts and feedback - since his return a few days ago if you check is that - some issues seen by users "May" be down to low fps and the resultant severe influence on engine and entity behaviors that can and always has had. This is proven to be the case when low fps, memory issues (and other things) can have a major influence on very erratic engine and entity and indeed player behaviours which sometime to worse affect deteriorates the longer the game is played as the engine simply cant "catch up". When you get AI entities calling for time and resources that compounds itself and often causes serious issues during gameplay which otherwise you would not even see occur.

On that subject I stop as memory, performance and fps has been done to death. If its importance and requirement to be efficient and of sufficient excess of quantity is not accepted now then it never will be in this particular case of Reloaded. Given enough then issues brought about by those things will clearly just go away if thats the cause. If not they wont and will remain. This will of course as we know affect worst of all those with low end systems which are those who can least afford it as is always the case when the maths are considered.

Black Fox is correct in as much as there is no way you can expect to find all bugs and issues seen as minor or not that everyone will encounter with a limited testing base. For that you will always need the largest user base possible out there - and additionally and more importantly even by far - users pushing the engine to the limits until it falls over in real world scenario actual real level and complete game world building of an advanced nature. Under pressure is when the real test shows up the smallest weaknesses.

To get there of course you need someone who can or has built big levels or a complete game with much advanced and complex content utilising all of the features available at the time. Something you cant do in a short test period.

As Lee once said not long ago (some many months back) full internal testing of a whole product before any release of anything approaching a full product and its stability before a release would take upwards perhaps of 6 months after consideration it was finished. Even then actual users would break it and find issues or bugs and updating and fixing would be necessary of course.

Don't expect a perfect Beta release by any means at this stage or ever, however one should expect a reasonable result and progress perhaps with by and large no major show stopping issues. Bugs and ongoing issues though are quite likely for some time at least as Reloaded is very much an evolving product rather than absolutely fixed in its development strategy partly brought about by user guided direction based development to some extent. Can't fault TGC for trying to stick with that even now after the last release. Its something of a two edged sword but still worth persuing I think in the long term.

Avoiding a major Release disaster I guess will be the main objective. Its quite a long time for users to wait between each Beta and ongoing so if not major progress at least - avoiding going backwards and or around in circles hy catching major faults in direction early if at all possible would at least be helpful.

Lastly the additional Beta testers will again be just like you having an individual set up and find or not find things you may find showing up. If they do and want them fixed before you get a release then you may well have to wait even longer for each Beta until they are and when you get it there will still be things you may find outstanding not been found or fixed. Its again a matter of balance and common sense as is often the case.

I am sure TGC will keep everyone informed of progress.

Have fun.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking Great !!

This is where reloaded gets very interesting
PM
s4real
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
This does look good but I hope this is not going to be the main building blocks to make rooms.

The old way is fast and you have a lot of control what you can do to your maps.

This would be a good idea as a tool to add the final things in a real world edit.

But to me this is making it a bit like a toy and more like garys mod.

More eyecandy and feel this is all going in the wrong direction personaly.

best s4real

How practical is this feature realy going to be.

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.

Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 23:56:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 23:56:58