Product Chat / Need opinions please.

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 05:27 Edited at: 10th Feb 2014 05:28
a totally non-performance/engine related question.

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=207774&b=8

thanks

Spot
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 09:07
Isn't that more related to modeling than the product itself though?

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Isn't that more related to modeling than the product itself though?"

really.....

No offense intended here especially to you Teabone

Your name just happened to be attached to the post. But....

Come on... over 3K posts on this board, many of them about nothing, and you pick this one to point out.

1:

I know it's not about the product. I know it's posted on the wrong board. And please, Pardon me for trying to draw some attention towards a question I asked 4 days ago and never got an answer to, due to the lack of traffic on the "Correct" board.

2:

I must have mistakenly asked for help or an opinion again....

Whatever happened to the days when a TGC forum was a friendly and helpful place? Where people asked questions to learn and grow. A place to "Develop" skills. In one way or another, that is why we are all here isn't it?

3:

I am beginning to think maybe I or my models or my posts are highly toxic in some way.

Noone looks at them or bothers to comment if they do so how will I ever know what's good? What's bad? ????? Maybe they are just BAD? How will I know if there are no comments? Maybe people just don't like you man.....

I don't know.... maybe.....

I know, maybe I just need to shutup cuz my breath stinks.

4:

Bottom Line

How will I know if I don't ask?
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 14:59 Edited at: 10th Feb 2014 15:18
Spotaru,

Yes, Helpful forums are good.

I looked at your model over at the said thread. To be honest I was not sure what to suggest exactly.

Personally I would perhaps think that if the hut is meant to fit within a specific time period historically you could perhaps search the web for some images of what they actually looked like and were made from and get some idea of an accurate looking hut of the period.

The only thing otherwise I could suggest if you just want to use your own artistic judgement would be to consider that some buildings may have incorporated mud or plaster walls and timer frame so you could fill the top area you mention and any other open walls with an appropriate plaster type material. I guess the may have used a mix of straw as the thatch and animal manure or earth or mud of some kind. A mix of timber frame and plaster may look OK as opposed to all timber and things probably looked pretty basic and not well made in some instances at least. Broken or uneven/unstraight timbers, well worn and so on.

Just a few thoughts there. You could try having more than one hut or building and keep the one you have and have another design to try things out on or at least make sure you keep a backup of the current one before updating.

Not sure if that helps at all.

P.S. I have attached a screen shot from inside NeoAxis Demo which you may be familiar with. Not sure if that will help. Its shows huts with varying constructions, including open, open at top as yours, partly stone walled and mix of straw roof timber framed with mud or plaster walls. At that period clearly windows had some influence too. No glass I guess at that time at least in somewhat humble dwellings - don't know exactly about more exclusive establishments for the wealthy though.

Again hope that helps a little.

Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the suggestions Uman.

I'm not really asking how can "I" close the wall?

As you say it would all depend on the time frame. I know it's all aesthetics and that is entirely up to the modeler's own artistic judgement.

The actual question is more like, How would "You" close the wall if it was "Your" model. I want to build an entire village of the same style and am asking to find out what would be more visually appealing to others. Not myself. Personally for just the shed, I would leave it open. But a house or Tavern, or Inn may get very cold in the winter with a gapping while in the side. So maybe I need to make a few test models and then ask the question again.
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry I could not help then. That was my personal opinion that you would have to interpret as you are best able.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 21:57:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 21:57:26