Product Chat / Reloaded Already Low On Ammo?

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 22:26
I backed Reloaded early on as a Gold pledger and glad I did because FPSC is an awesome concept and product.

FPSC Classic lasted so long partially due to lack of competition at that time before products like Unity and UDK became free to use but mostly because it allowed total newbies to come in, make a FPS and advance to some really good projects.

I released my 1st commercial FPS in 2013 for Android and I can honestly say the vast majority of skills required to achieve this were learned in FPSC from creating textures and models to writing scripts. FPSC has not just been a lot of fun to use but a genuine tool for learning game development.

So now we need to look at whats going wrong for Reloaded.

1. Firstly I think Reloaded has gotten way ahead of itself with grand ideas of huge game worlds, advanced enemy AI and amazing physics without doing the ground work to back this up. As the engine is currently struggling with all of these it only stands to bring more criticism which is a lesson TGC have not learned from the FPSC X10 days.

2. Reloaded is suffering because so far it has failed to address the core issues which prevented FPSC Classic going any further. Instead of starting with a solid foundation we have already moved onto things like Occulus Rift support which the community are rightly questioning.

3. There does not appear to be any road map for Reloaded. Features are thrown in and 'improved' here and there without finishing anything to an acceptable level of quality. It just seems like TGC are throwing mud at Reloaded and seeing what sticks.

4. I've read there is some internal testing being done on the BETA's before they are released but there is no evidence of bugs being reported, tracked and fixed. This is something the community needs to be involved with and we should have access to bug reports and TGC's progress on confirmed bugs.

5. Another TGC approach is to keep features a secret and 'surprise' us with something in every other BETA that comes along. Surprising people in BETA testing is the last thing you want to do and we need to know exactly what is planned and what we should be testing with each version.

6. The feature voting poll was an unmitigated disaster. Looking at the results the character creator scored the most votes so we are going to have different looking soldiers in Reloaded before we have a stable engine or any AI. On the other hand LUA was amongst the lowest votes and is already being implemented. You cannot develop a professional game engine by democracy.

7. Looking at performance, is DBPro going to cut it for the level of expectations being set for this engine? If not then either the entire implementation needs to be changed or those expectations need to be realistic as there is a huge gulf at the moment.

8. Is there any significant performance profiling being done outside of running an example map and seeing if the frames per second improve. If you look up at the sky, get 100fps with 12 draw calls and 500 polygons then look at the terrain and get 20fps with 75 draw calls and 30,000 polygons where is all the performance being lost.

9. Physics and AI are also going to be make or break factors in Reloaded. Now that we have bullet physics why are things still so unstable with dynamic entities falling through the terrain and the player jumping hundreds of feet through the air. Also Lee had prototyped advanced pre cognitive AI but in the latest BETA an enemy cannot tell when I'm standing in front of them and I cannot shoot them.

10. Backwards compatibility is going to be essential for Reloaded. There have been gigabytes of assets created for FPSC Classic during its lifetime and yet people are still having issues getting entities imported with working physics etc. There needs to be a basic level of backwards compatibility for all standard FPSC assets including characters.

I think there needs to be significant changes in the approach TGC are taking to developing Reloaded and how they are working with the community to build confidence and deliver a quality product. If we are to continue down a path of 'hopefully things will improve' thats just not going to cut it and people will start to lose interest if they haven't already.

The next steps should be to build a proper plan, share this with the community (not based on public opinon but professional experience), stick to that plan ensuring BETA releases follow it and use tools such as bug repositories which the public can view to support the plan and demonstrate what progress is being made.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 00:14
Sent you a PM.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Nomad,

In general many would agree with the thrust of your comments I am sure. There are others who may not and I really don't know other than looking at recent posts. Many users do not comment.

Having said that again you have to go back to the beginning and creating a game engine one would presume that Yes there should be a plan. I guess it should be a detailed one which to be fair may have to have some leeway for unforeseen circumstance.

What do we want the engine to be and how will we achieve it.

What you want the engine to be I guess is what users and TGC aspire it to be. At the time of start I guess the main things looked for were solutions to fixing/improving/updating significantly of obvious well known core issues that had caused so much difficulty with Classic : Memory, Physics and stability, performance and some other important things like improved AI, water and of some major importance to many - larger/outdoor worlds in the main apart from any smaller issues. Most of these things were said by some to be largely influenced by the core engine technologies utilised by the Classic engine.

That being the case then I am not quite sure why anyone would think using the same core technologies would make much difference considering a new engine would presumably need to be somewhat better and more appropriate to the future, more powerful and so delivering more and better features as aspired to. At the time voices for updating the core to different or more advanced perhaps technologies were largely overuled and overshadowed by some - perhaps a majority who believed the existing classic technologies could and would be sufficient to meet and deliver the needs for a future engine. People who supported this being more experienced than I for sure for example in terms of core base engine programming languages, Direct X (of which I know nothing really) and so on whos opinions prevailed, supported by TGC partly perhaps out of lack of reasonable choice from a commercial aspect of the time. This to me despite logic which said to me that such technologies had not delivered in the past and so why would it be any different in the future when certainly one would expect as technology marches on inevitably too that such even at best would at some time be superceeded anyway.

Most uesrs too would not want to wait too long for a usable product - many years perhaps when Reloaded was originally scheduled to have a release in around 12 months as the alternative option using the existing technologies by and large.

As to the plan whatever the decision at that time presumably it was thought that success was possible using the existing technologies so I guess the Better engine and additional features we now see being looked at and introduced or already introduced would have been part of the plan and sufficient assessment made of those existing technologies and any others sourced that could be incorporated such as bullet physics and given due and appropriate consideration to conclude that the judgement is that the Objectives and aspirations could be met. That features and so on to be included would have been tailored into the plan with relevant details inside the plan of how it would be implemented in a sensible and logical order - start to finish and each objective achieved along the way and ticked off Yes. A measurable plan for success as it were.

Having a plan as said I guess its logical that it be done in sensible order of priority and necessity.

If you are including outdoors then I guess its a good idea to get that done first, sky, terrain, physics and so on so you can add the player.

I should think you would have some tick boxes on your plan and requirements for features and so on and tick them off as you go. Necessities first would be logical. You would not normally add the player until the terrain is done and some physics done to make sure the Player can move over the terrain and not fall through it.

Ideally perhaps you would complete one thing before moving on to the next in order of priority. Essentials first and then the next most important or as in the plan for whatever reason.

I guess the plan as far as users go is what you see published at this web site or elsewhere in no particular order as fixed but tempered by whatever is most pressing perhaps and with features not necessarily being completed to any final degree as one progresses. To be fair some flexibility is probably required though not sure major feature bouncing around is inevitable or desirable.

I don't think any user viewable features dev progress list need be very complicated or too technical - a list and a simple tick box when done is enough. If there's a lust in logical order then its then clear where you are when one is completed. Any plan should be here at the forums and don't need to have things spread everywhere complicating anything. Enough of that now.

Now I don't know but it seems to have been the case that even up until this last Beta most users would have been still of the same reasoning that the core technologies are OK and things will get better and the objectives and aspirations can be met. Personally I have been strongly suggesting that would not perhaps be the case and constantly suggesting the core items of engine quality, stability and performance need be better. I understand that many may have more powerful systems than I so can only speak for my own findings which have been largely singular in stressing. There may still be many I am sure who are happy say with performance and alike at this stage and believe that the current dev can be updated and improved sufficiently to meet with a future engines and the end users and game players needs.

I am not quite sure why it has taken so long for other users whoever they may be to question whether such will and can be the case. Whatever sooner or later any engine will be tested and pushed to the limits and its faults and weaknesses whatever and wherever they are will become apparent in real world practical application. That cant be avoided so if there are weaknesses they will be found out.

TGC have said and continue to say that users concerns are unfounded so I don't know that anyone of us can argue with that and so I cant see what really can be done or is likely to be done in any major way to change the engines main thrust and direction now.

Due to the users requests, wants, needs and aspirations and also TGC's own vision for the Reloaded product to some extent, the aspirations and hype is a lot to live up to. Ten years on from classic looking to a modern engine to see everyone well into the future is a massive undertaking.

I have been well known to be quite critical of software and game engines myself. Easy to say not easy to do. TGC is a small company and not many of that nature have an ability to create and develop what we aspire to.

I am not really critical of TGC as a team, not people, only game engine software sometimes. I have no idea of the difficulties, restraints and issues TGC face day to day. I am sure they do the best they can under the circumstances prevailing at any time. I must admit I feel for Lee in particular who is clearly under a lot of pressure which does not help. I guess that's the price of fame as the saying goes.

I think perhaps given the core technologies being used then there's not much more TGC can do only continue forwards as planned whatever the plan is.

This last issue seems to have a fair share of loss of quality control. Other than that Bugs general errors or instabilities can be fixed. If the Core inherently itself is flawed or not going to be capable then I am not quite sure what TGC could possibly do about that from here on in. As said I am not quite sure why only now thats being called into question at all.

It would seem to be the case that there is yet a lot more strain the engine may have to endure as more things are added so how it will cope with that I have no idea. Not very well one would imagine but that is again just an assumption based on what I personally find which counts for little or nothing.

I don't see many options. Either it will or it wont. TGC and some of our users have faith that all will be fine so I cant argue with that. Just have to wait and see. If the engine proves to be overburdened and very highly demanding on users, game players and their hardware/software and any associated technologies in order to get the best from it and that's the only option as it pans out then that's the way it will be.

Not sure that would be enough or that it would be a credible option for success but no one will know till we get wherever we are going and by then it will be too late to change a great deal of whats gone past perhaps.

TGC are not superhuman and superhuman may be the status that was needed to succeed from the outset under the prevailing circumstances. I don't know.

Anyway Lee is back soon and so I trust he can pick himself up off the floor and crack on.

Hopefully all will be well with you all this time next year.

xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure why there isn't any formal Issues/Bug Tracking Repository established for FPSC:Reloaded yet. Lee had made one for AGK and I think it proved useful--however even that one I think has gone unmonitored by TGC since last fall. Instead all we have currently is a hodge-podge of complaints in the Bugs part of this forum, very few of which are addressed in any way.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU, NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU, G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 16:03
The bug tracking situation is being discussed by Rick and myself at the moment and we will be sorting something out shortly.

All at TGC intend the next beta to be much better, a lot of work is going into it and providing a stable bug reporting system also.
PM
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 03:52
Not to sound like a "git" here; but I would have thought a bug tracking solution would have been in place BEFORE releasing any Alpha/Beta?
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 20:21 Edited at: 10th Feb 2014 20:22
Quote: "TGC have said and continue to say that users concerns are unfounded so I don't know that anyone of us can argue with that and so I cant see what really can be done or is likely to be done in any major way to change the engines main thrust and direction now."

Its not about arguing but trying to build confidence in the product and to do this you need a development plan with proper milestones that can be measured as we move through the BETA releases. Throwing stuff out there is not making the product better or building confidence at the moment.

Quote: "Due to the users requests, wants, needs and aspirations and also TGC's own vision for the Reloaded product to some extent, the aspirations and hype is a lot to live up to. Ten years on from classic looking to a modern engine to see everyone well into the future is a massive undertaking."

Agreed but running voting polls as to which features need to be implemented is not a good way to define the scope of the product or the plan to create it. In fact this should not even be thought about until the core engine has a stable foundation to build upon.

Quote: "I think perhaps given the core technologies being used then there's not much more TGC can do only continue forwards as planned whatever the plan is."

If the core technologies are not able to deliver what is already being advertised, we need to rethink our expectations for the product and start working towards something which is achieavable and worth continuing with.

Quote: "The bug tracking situation is being discussed by Rick and myself at the moment and we will be sorting something out shortly."

That is good news. Please can you ensure the bug tracking tool is used properly e.g. showing an audit trail so if not fixed we can see what progress has been made with it. Also it needs to be something the community can see and use like being able to search and seeing if a bug has already been reported.

One thing we have to get rid of in Reloaded is bugs being fixed and then breaking again in another release. If its evident from the bug reporting tool this is happening then you probably need to invest in other tools such as static code analysis and comparing code between builds.

Quote: "All at TGC intend the next beta to be much better, a lot of work is going into it and providing a stable bug reporting system also."

Please can we see what work is going into the next BETA before its about to be released. What should we expect to be improved in the next release for testing. How about producing some proper release notes for each build so these can also be easily accessed somewhere.

Agree with xCept and KeithC these kinds of things are absolutely essential to any software development let alone a game engine. I appreciate TGC is a small team and don't have unlimited budgets but things like bug reporting, code analysis / profiling tools and release notes really should be in place and available right from the start.

Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If the core technologies are not able to deliver what is already being advertised, we need to rethink our expectations for the product and start working towards something which is achieavable and worth continuing with."

Working towards something that is achievable but does not meet with the vision, aspiration and real users needs is not an option for success is it. You have had that before and still have it. TGC have numerous options for software for making a game in existence already. You can have another and the idea is to make it what you want it to be not what you are forced to accept knowing it is not what is required or needed. Not much point in that. But then perhaps that was always the expected outcome.

Fair enough.

Anyway not a lot anyone of us users can do about any of it - its all down to TGC in the final analysis.

Next Beta please.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 07:16:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 07:16:10