Product Chat / Sneak Peek of the Construction Kit

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 18:04
Hi,

I have just posted this onto You Tube. It's still early days but you can see the potential for this module already.

Rick

Development Director

TGC Team
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 18:27
Looking good it will be a nice feature after the core is fixed cant wait

Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice to see a good start there for the Construction Kit.

I guess there will be a lot of users will find that a very valuable tool and look forward to it being included.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking Great !!!

The option to export and import constructions would be brilliant !!

they could then go on the store or shared if the creator wish's to
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks Nice.

Quote: "The option to export and import constructions would be brilliant !!"

Or put custom textures on those shapes!
Thurnok
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks like a great start. In addition to the above suggestions, which I think are very good, it would be great if we were able to include some functionality of the construction kit into our game creations, like an API to the functions that allow the placing/removal of objects.

Think Mindcraft/Terraria meets Duke Nukem or Serious Sam.

Food for thought anyway.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 23:44 Edited at: 7th Feb 2014 23:53
I like that we can finally edit in a snapping grid fashion. As I've been waiting for this since day one with Reloaded. Are all the pieces of a set width? Also can you edit in fly-mode?

BioDragonlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 00:47
That's looking great it has a lot of potential

cant wait to play with the final product there.

are you going to be looking at setting up a similar editor

on the 2d editor?

Bring It On

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 01:55
I hope there's a way to expand an area, instead of putting together numerous cubes for one ground level (where you could just use a single plane). This kind of looks like an enhanced segment tool.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 09:57 Edited at: 8th Feb 2014 10:00
It already looks like its close to having the ability to add your own textures..

The more customisable the better so we don't have maps or games that all look the same...

Its brilliant to see that although we thought we went a step slightly back with this beta things are actually going forward with work being done on these new additions. I just want this to be my ultimate gaming tool

Whilst waiting I have been playing with the X9 Fps Creator and im impressed with what the community have created for that !!
PM
wildman4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 19:18
Looks great, can't wait to try it!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I was really hoping this would be included in the latest build. It seems just as I imagined. I hope you can easily clone any building made using this also It reminds me of when I made some basic parts in Blender to do the same job Just my Blender parts were a bit too good an example of programmer art!

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 21:57 Edited at: 8th Feb 2014 21:58
Love the hammer (construction) .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
ok so im wondering about this alittle.

1, why no finished product in the vid just a ruff putting a few walls together? how do we enter/exit the buildings? are there closed attachable doors that will open with the door code and load to a new map or, are they going to be like the stock buildings and all just open doorways like thing?.

2, this looks a lot like the vid a user posted awhile back of them doing the same things with their beta as a test for segment like building.

3, how much memory is this going to use up?, we are struggling for entities now, seems if we want a whole city we are going to be pushing it to the limits again very soon?.

4, how many entities types we having in this building module thing?, 100s? 1000s? lots of styles out there sci fi, fantasy, western, and more but then also there are the different styles of buildings within those groups too. might be along while before some we see enough to make any1 type of game perhaps?

5, not that I have much experience with classic but how is this different from segments from the older software?.

sorry if this is sounding complaining its not im just wondering all of the above lol, seems to me this might make reloaded take along time to do a city, building each 1 with segmented parts and such. and then there is the difficulty we have already with placing items inside buildings.. how will this affect that problem of placing and picking up items we misplace or want to move? without the much needed undo button!?.

also this vid looks more like a feature in a game than a feature for an engine, with the hammer and current trend for building survival games lately lol. tbh im unsure how this will be, until I test it and put something together lol..

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 01:46 Edited at: 9th Feb 2014 01:55
This looks pretty neat, and I could see people having a lot of fun with it, in time, building their worlds.

On the technical side of things, does each individual piece use a single draw call? Or does it automatically combine meshes that use the same texture set into a single draw call?

I would think that combining them into a single draw call would be essential. Because if each individual piece resulted in a draw call, it could quickly spiral into hundreds or even thousands of draw calls, if a user were to build a large castle or small village using this tool. You could have the fastest video card on the planet and it would starve because the CPU wouldn't be able to feed it draw calls quickly enough.

SPECS: Intel Corei7 3770k, Nvidia GTX780, 16GB RAM, Win7 Pro

kW-Xport for 3ds Max:http://mjblosser.com/kw-x-port-for-3ds-max/
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 06:11
That's the point I was trying to make, Bond.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 12:28
Quote: "Or does it automatically combine meshes that use the same texture set into a single draw call?"

I seem to remember Lee saying a while back that this would be the case .

Dave

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
Years of Service
User Offline
I have seen this video and the construction kit idea seems to be very fun, it looks like Minecraft. Indeed this will be a very fun feature of FPSCR, and i think a lot of people will love to create their buildings and scenery with this tool.

However, i think is essential, especially for 3d artists, that we have a way to use the construction kit in a full 3d view (a kind of 3d fly mode), not just in 1st person mode. And i think it would be very good to have gizmos (the 3d axis) while positioning the pieces and also if we could have a way to see the exact position of each mesh in the 3d world (coordinates) it would help us to have a pixel perfect alignment.

One more concern, it is looking very similar to the old segment system, i mean, the mesh pieces (the floor and wall) they seem to have exactly the same size. I mean, will we be confined to the old 100x100 segment size? I mean, can we use any kind of mesh of any shape and size, and have perfect colision (will we be free of the old FPSC colision problems with custom meshes)?

Cheers.

Goldenye 007 N64
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
All the above questions are good, and deserve an answer. Hopefully TGC will let us know on concerns raised.

I am hoping that each finished design would be converted to a single object with one single UV texture. Perhaps I am being overly optimistic here, but otherwise things would slow down quickly I'm fairly sure that this will be the case, but to assume makes an ass out of you and me, as we all know.

I also thought of the idea that it could be used in a game scenario to create a more survival type game. Rust for instance, seems fairly popular, but if you look at it closely you will notice, apart from performance, a level made in Reloaded would look better than Rust currently looks. The grass waves along the floor in Rust, creating the impression of movement by moving the plane along it's x axis, rather than Reloaded's way better animation, no odd movement with the grass here. Fair enough AI and speed needs more work though to compete.

If this system could be implemented in game as a crafting mechanic, it would make far more interesting games possible. Frontiers is another example of a survival game in early production that looks pretty cool. The ability to make something similar in Reloaded is a plus for me, I am far more interested in creating a more cerebral game than a simple shooter personally.

I have high hopes for this element of Reloaded!

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 21:27
Quote: "This looks pretty neat, and I could see people having a lot of fun with it, in time, building their worlds.

On the technical side of things, does each individual piece use a single draw call? Or does it automatically combine meshes that use the same texture set into a single draw call?

I would think that combining them into a single draw call would be essential. Because if each individual piece resulted in a draw call, it could quickly spiral into hundreds or even thousands of draw calls, if a user were to build a large castle or small village using this tool. You could have the fastest video card on the planet and it would starve because the CPU wouldn't be able to feed it draw calls quickly enough.

"

This is from the news page

Quote: "The Construction Kit

This is one of the most exciting items under development. We aim to show you some video of it in action later in the month. It essentially allows you to construct buildings from component parts and then fuse them together into an optimised mesh. When it’s available you’ll be freed up from the constraints of the stock media library and make what you want."

Sounds cool .

Dave

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 21:40
Very nice, looking forward to testdrive this

http://j0linar.blogspot.co.at/
PM
xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Years ago I conceived a construction utility similar to this for a multiplayer app I was working on--except instead of having "prefabs" of the same object but different dimensions, you'd instead start with a standard unit (e.g., 1x1 unit) and could stretch it on any axis as desired. This way you can create a much wider variety of objects at any size without needing a massive entity library. In my version you could then select any component and clone as needed. This would b a wise feature to add to this construction kit.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU, NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU, G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 01:42
Thanks for the info granada, that is good news!

SPECS: Intel Corei7 3770k, Nvidia GTX780, 16GB RAM, Win7 Pro

kW-Xport for 3ds Max:http://mjblosser.com/kw-x-port-for-3ds-max/
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 00:01
Just a quick note while I am on my forum rounds that Lee did not write this module and he is indeed still on core coding work The Construction Kit is in no way slowing down the main engine development in any way and no core functionality is being compromised by the development of this new feature for Reloaded. My contribution has been 3 emails and a phone call so far, and I can report that development is doing very well without my interference. Also, thanks to the platform prototype being used, this module will integrate very smoothly to the main engine when complete, again with very little involvement from me. Further, thanks to the way the module is being developed, ongoing improvements to the module can be conducted by the original coder or a third party, and does not require the personal attention of Lee.

NOTE: This also applies to the Object Importer, Rift Support and the New LUA Engine module, and anything else that you may construed as a new feature for Reloaded. Lee will be working on nothing but core functionality until further notice.

Hogging the awesome since 1999
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 20:46
Hi,

Just remember guys this is early days for this module and we'll keep posting new videos to show progress. For me it's a personal wish to have had this created and we'll evolve it and improve it as we go.

I'll keep posting new videos to show how it's changing. In fact there's a new one HERE.

Rick

Development Director

TGC Team

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 08:26:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 08:26:33