Product Chat / Physics and Water

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Presumably water has no capability to support entities at the moment so nothing can float on it? The player however does walk on top of it still? (I know enemies sink in it apparently much like any other entity I guess at the moment).

I had been looking to see if I could get an entity to float on water but they sink with me. Tried a variety of entity settings but to no avail so I was just wondering if everyone else finds the same. Stupid Question perhaps I guess but just checking in case there's something obvious I have missed. which could easily be the case?

I have some iceburgs/iceblocks in water that I would like to float so they are affected by gravity/physics but I guess its just too early for that and a level of transparency for ice and alike.

No worries.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think the water supports anything like that yet. I tried dropping a big rock in the water in my Bugs and Bonuses video, but it just sort of hit it from a distance and slowly sank under. I was hoping for a splash or even a ripple, seems only the player affects the water in any way as yet.

I haven't tried to make something float though. I imagine you have set the physics weight really low? I can't see much else you could do at the moment, apart from set it as static and fake it, minus the bobbing. Or possibly write a script to make it bob instead. No idea how you would do that off the top of my head though, as Lua is still new and foreign to me. But you do have access to x,y z co-ordinates, and can as far as I know move entities about with them.

Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that.

Yes. I tried all physics settings and so on available.

My objects just fall to the bottom of the water instead of floating.

I don't see any point in pre working anything complicated until things are updated by default as far as they are going to be as one would probably have to re-work everything when scripts and lua is more advanced.

Just playing about really and thought as lee was working on control of enemies going in water which does not seem to have been fixed that other entities other than bullets might also have had something added relating to contact with water but obviously not yet.

I saw you rock video and others which I always enjoy watching - much fun to be had at least
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, glad you enjoy them! I'd prefer to do something to show it off more, but besides doing reasonable landscapes, and wandering round there's not too much yet to do. It's too early in to be making any grand stuff yet, easy to lose a lot of work! Let's hope TGC see this and add a bit more into the water side of the physics.

Also, and I'm surprised this is still an issue, making the AI better and more efficient at killing you is fine, but please get the shooting to work! I have put 2 or 3 clips into one enemy before he has gone down! I can't see any reason why this does not work at all, it seems as if you have a very high random chance of missing! It certainly takes the fun out of it! It also seems odd the enemy go into melee mode, when you can't do likewise.

Still, early on. I just hope that these little niggles are squashed, so we can have more fun with this while it gets developed!

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 22:39
Water physics and entity/player interaction with water are not finalized yet. I did some work to stop enemies entering water, but they can still dip in around the edges which I will be looking at closing with the next update. A lot of the niggles are silly little things and I am hoping to knock them on the head as soon as they hit my development task list. If you email rick@thegamecreators.com directly, he will add them for you

The shooting issue is due to the poor ray casting system which can only handle certain paths and does not do a very good job of selecting the closest object either. I am planning a new command in DBP which can traverse all entities, objects, terrain, hit order and limbs hit, all done with a very fast tree search system to keep the performance high. This command should provide super accurate and 100% predictable bullet ray detection, and at the same time allow the player to start dodging enemy bullets instead of being hit by them ALL THE TIME.

Hogging the awesome since 1999

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 07:33:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 07:33:12