Product Chat / best way to share a standalone demo please?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ok so I have been making a small test level to test standalone game feature, its basically finished (or rather I ran out of memory) so what it is has to do lol, whats the best way to share it with you guys for some tech feedback?, its just a throw away level but im interested in how it runs on other machines besides mine. do I have to zip it down if so whats bests to use that's free winzip I guess?(noob game maker lol). and where to put it afterwards in forum as an attachment or someplace else?, and whats needed to be zipped if anything? its current size is about 350mb for this small level. thanks a lot for any help

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 03:39
i use http://www.putlocker.com as its free and has no speed limit or download limit if you put it up i would be happy to test

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
ok putlocker, do I zip it or no please m8?

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 03:58
yea i would just do a standard windows zip

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 04:14 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2014 13:03
ok, uploaded in zip form to putlocker. name hood1.zip small mission to collect a needle full of goo and kill a tougher than normal enemy, then escape at the docks nearby.

I have run this mission and sadly there are quite a lot of issues with it, namely enemies not being at the right locations, the boss not being where I put him and other small issues you will no doubt see lol...but all im interested in is the details of its performance as a standalone test not an actual review of the game itself story or put together wise as its a throw away mission.

there should be mission guidelines at beginning with a trigger story zone thing, and some objectives, (no scripting as yet in this test its just a standalone checking mission to see if it works for lee and such have fun killing everything lol .

http://www.putlocker.com/file/68CE6F481B7F3C46

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 04:23
ok im going to record this for you lol

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 04:35
Uploading now

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 04:51 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2014 04:55
All i can say is good level bit to fast for me need to slow the player down

the entity's are like bullet proof :/ and yes they still fall in the water :/

i was getting a little lag when going in the tent at the start need to have a look at polys there was that the max entity's ?

http://youtu.be/tYsRtiFsynQ

They really need to work on the entity's they are sooo bad

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 13:14 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2014 13:16
WOW, so my system moves sooo slow in that level at 400, but like I thought you move soo fast in it on your machine lol, thanks for the test run vid that was very interesting to watch, I noticed the sound at the beginning didn't play for you though, same for me aswell..

so we have bullet proof enemies

no story zone sounds

unpredictable movement speeds

enemies grouping together and not staying where their put

enemies shooting through stuff (when I tried it)

enemies climbing up mountains cliffs (when I tried it)

not the best yet but early days yet, was interesting to watch the vid m8 thanks

if some others wouldn't mind giving it a test run perhaps we can send reports to lee or rickv to get things working better ??

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 13:38 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2014 13:47
Don't really need to test it. Its clear that enemy characters need some serious help which to be fair will I guess come when AI is looked at in earnest at the appropriate time.

Currently the "Comedy Show" which is about as hilarious as it could get does nothing to help Reloaded promotion.

Apart from and excluding the general obvious mis-behaviours and character issues then main things that enemies to me lack which are not yet in place and may not be later which stand out for improvement are :

1. General lack of intelligence.

2. All enemies are clones. Not so much that they look alike which could be easily changed with re-skinning, but that they do exactly the same things, particularly when attacking/shooting. i.e. every one has only one shooting pose so they all stand in harmony in that exact same pose to stop and shoot. No crouch shoot, no duck shoot, no run shoot, walk shoot, no run backwards or aproach player and straffe sideways shoot, lay down on floor shoot, and so on. i.e. no random or other variation. Each uses only one weapon and one shoot sequence.

3. Most lacking thing is that enemies are not aware of the player until they are in your face so all can be killed before they get anywhere near enough to the player to even know the player is in the level. If the player can see an enemy and shoot and kill the enemy then the reverse should be true also. So enemies should be able to attack at any range the player can using if necessary a similar weapon. e.g long range rifle sniper enemy.

As said I guess such things may be looked at later of course to be fair unless no one else cares about that kind of enemy AI quality. If you just want to make a monster or zombie game or one with no enemies/blood and so on then it wont matter at all to those users. If you are making an FPS then it may well do so.

Good video though by the way to show off the points you have to make.

Fane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 13:56 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2014 13:57
1. Average FPS: 15 on high settings, have to be improved

2. Some enemies did not perceived me and walks calmly next to me

3. I can jump over the whole lake

4. Sometimes I get damage if I fall only 1m

5. If I get fall damage and I keep pressing the Space bar then I get more and more damage even if I dont realy fall but jump

6. Plus all the ponts almightyhood just said

System: Win 8.1 64 / i5 @ 3,9GHz / GeForce 760 GTX 192 Bit / 8GB RAM
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
TattieBoJangle

You did the best you could do with the tools provided...Not many could do much better until things get rectified ...The problem for me is the Wow factor I had when I first saw it has gone because we seem to be going backwards
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 22:15
thanks synchromesh but it wasn't my map i was testing it for almightyhood just to see how different it would run on another computer but yea i agree with the going backwards.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
yes thanks again tattiebojangle for doing that and helping me out nice1 m8. lots to do it seems for sure, maybe its going backwards abit, or maybe side tracked abit perhaps

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 22:41
No probs i was messing around with it took a few things out and it was running smooth

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
oh right, interesting, what you change?

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 23:11 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2014 23:15
Well, I gave this a whirl on my PC (specs in signature). Averaged 8-12 FPS regardless of high or low settings. I think Uman hit the nail on the head with "comedy show" because that's what it felt like. Not because of the level, but because of all the existing quirks and problems with the core engine. It's no problem to climb even the steepest of mountains, then jump off and fly hundreds of feet in the air before landing. After landing in water, I swim to shore and died upon impact lol. The gun also only shows up if I'm running with shift down, not sure if by design or what.

Sadly, at this point it's almost impossible for me to consciously imagine this as ever being a truly functional development tool, with all the performance issues and sorely lacking features that still persist. To think that the original Kickstarter page estimated the full boxed version of FPSC:R being completed by October 2013, but here we are into Feb 2014 and it seems like there are years left of work to do before it is ready. I'm not trying to be cynical, but fear this product is setting itself up to be ridiculed by other general users if things don't drastically improve.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU, NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU, G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 23:21
Quote: "Sadly, at this point it's almost impossible for me to consciously imagine this as ever being a truly functional development tool, with all the performance issues and sorely lacking features that still persist. To think that the original Kickstarter page estimated the full boxed version of FPSC:R being completed by October 2013, but here we are into Feb 2014 and it seems like there are years left of work to do before it is ready. I'm not trying to be cynical, but fear this product is setting itself up to be ridiculed by other general users if things don't drastically improve."

And the sad thing is we paid a good amount of money to be part of this i feel if things don't start to pick up soon it will be lost for good. The worse thing is i feel we are not being heard and there is a lack of communication for sure.

Fane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 00:00
I have so much fun wathing this video but at the same moment its really sad how many really important things that should be done very first still are uncompleted.

PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
omg, flying really that's not something I tried LOL but I am glad some1 did at least to show more issues. dying while exiting water is not cool, thanks for the vid

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh dear I seem to be getting some bad publicity.

I must admit I really don't find as many issues as other users as I tend to not do a great deal of testing but restrict it to core things like performance and AI and if those are bad I simply don't bother to look at much else unless I happen across it as an issue by chance.

I did not know you could fly either. Good for taking flythough videos!

I had referred not out of malice by the way to AI enemies behaviour as a Comdey Show but I cant help find them funny when they get confused and spin around in circles not knowing front from back.

xCept,

True to say that such videos appearing recently perhaps do nothing but harm to Reloaded especially when viewed externally.

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 00:57
Quote: "True to say that such videos appearing recently perhaps do nothing but harm to Reloaded especially when viewed externally."

While this is true they only have them self to blame if someone asked me at this moment in time was reloaded worth the money i would say NO

If someone asked me at this time do you recommend it i would also say no

This isn't just because of the software there are many factors in it no support for a start they need to be more active on the forum i know they are busy but that does not mean you don't talk to the people who support you.

I feel things are moving far to slow and being held up with stupid little things like for example the bug with the falling when loading level that was meant to be fixed well i still have it. Characters still fall threw water that was also meant to be fixed. Entity cap removed this may be the case but we are still limited to how many we can place.

So out of all the TWEAKS the only thing that was added and works is F10 for screen shot.

J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 01:04
tbh watched that video isnt really making me think about the issues

its liek a inspiration, see am sceptic like evryone else but i tend to stay here

"rise or fall".

Stuff like thhis shown in the video shouldnt be judged badly, simply because the reason its malfunctioning is performance/ code issues but the possibility of abusing those things afterwards gives one ideas

lets say a monnwalk scene

or free running-parkour/ wall climbing a la Mirrors Edge.

Bugs should be appreciated, the situation we got currently is tense

as we all have pledged to be part of it and to watch it grow.

Within time who followed the progress - things changed (thats the way developement works)

*we got lua (cant remember that lua was mentioned in the kickstarter but hey who cares its supposed to make things easier afterwards)

*we got a vast terrain - even if its texture limited when it comes to terrain textures and grass vegetation, oen cane make still beautiful things with it.

*we got rift support

even if most ppl just cant stand teh fact that it was added right now, hell its now there and lets leave it that way.

and many more stuff

There is really not much to say at the end, maybe only lets have some faith and not abandoned ship just now.

http://j0linar.blogspot.co.at/
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I will not give up on reloaded. I happen to think it is, for the most part, on the right path. I know a lot of people think the terrain is killing everything and that may even be true. But let's face it. We ASKED for the terrain. And we got it. Lots say we don't even need terrain. Again, let's face it. I for one get very tired of the same old urban/city warfare. You will never create a Fallout 3/NV or Left for Dead style game without terrain. Heck you can't even make a Mass Effect style game without it either. So YES!!! we need the terrain, and with way more options on that terrain to boot. Lots seem to be ragging on Rift support. I think it's a wise move on the TGCs part to include it. Again, face it. Its the next generation of VR so get in on it now. No I don't have a rift setup, and may never have one, but that doesn't change the fact that it WILL be used by some people. I agree that the timing of it all could have been better.

Yes performance in many areas is severely lacking but let's be honest here. After the first 2 betas most everyone on these forums had the mindset of "I've played with pretty terrains all I care to. Let's add more features. Well you asked for it so TGC gave you what you asked for. "More Features"

Well it seems those new features hurt what little performance we had to start with. And now we cry, "core core core" I said after beta 1 and I say again now, "All the bells, whistles, and garnish in the world is not going to help if you can only get 15 to 30 fps. And now it seems that people are either giving up or wanting to go back to what we had with classic. Well if classic was so darn good then why are we even making and using Reloaded in the first place?????

I do not want to go backwards. If I wanted a better Classic I would use one of the mods. I really want Reloaded to succeed. I have had a dream of making my game idea a reality for a very, very long time. Longer than a lot of you have even been alive, but classic will not allow that to happen and any other engine in the world is either too hard, requires major coding skills or has some outrages fees involved, or just plain sucks. I feel that Reloaded will be the engine that will make that dream come true.

I do however totally agree that there needs to be major improvements everywhere. Especially AI and physics. And I will be patient and continue to hope that more performance can be found. If not with DBP then use another faster language. Nobody ever said it had to be made with DBP.

If this post has offended anyone I am sorry but it is how I feel.

Spot
Fane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 09:10 Edited at: 6th Feb 2014 09:10
I don´t think we have to be worry about the engine. We said whats wrong and their hear us. I am sure beta 6 will have lots of improvements in core, AI, Editor, memory and so on.

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 11:43 Edited at: 6th Feb 2014 11:48
yikes... the forums are going crazy over the latest build. Poor Lee's going to return from vacation to face himself with an anxiety attack going through all this.

I think if we go about this with less doubt and a more optimistic approach we can help steer the development in the right direction. As Rick has mentioned the core section of the engine will be looked at strongly for the next build.

There's a lot of new bugs that came with the new features that may have contributed to the recent doubts of the engine's direction. As for myself I faced countless bugs within 5 to 10 minutes of use of the latest build and with honestly it was a bit disappointing but again I know full well that we are in early stages still. I just hope the forums are thoroughly looked over before the next build is worked on so that ALL bugs are fixed before we move forward with major additions such as the construction kit.

SorrowCrown
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 11:54
I hope they'll improve it all in next beta. I bought gold, but at this moment I regret buying this software. I know it's beta but... very very bad performance(i've got quad core, 8 gb ddr3, geforce gtx 650 2gb and it runs bad as hell compared to cryengine and udk), very bad terrain system(I can see through hills, or fall under them), lack of textures that can be applied on terrain, bad AI, bad physics(in kickstarter was mentioned pshysX). Movement feels kinda weird(I love movement in UDK). Right now there is nothing that can be done with this software, except terrain with limited amount of entities. Sry, but at this stage I'm pretty dissapointed, even more that this software cost me 94 euros!! I can't imagine fully functional FPS/RPG world, with lots of detail a pickup entities in this engine for now. UDK is maybe harder but if you learn a little bit, you can create everything. At the moment FPSC R can't compete with any of development tools, such as unity and UDK...thats reality...sry for my english
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm with teabone above post, lets not forget it is only beta5. though I do agree with some of the comments when it comes to the rift being put in so early and I do think performance should be made to measure up 1st.

im in it for the long haul, as it is going to take at least a year before game making becomes possible imo, if not longer. standalone was abit of a shock feature though, and I do question why it was not held back till later on tbh given there is nothing you can really do with it... no advanced ai for enemies, making them look stupid in the vids above lots of movement/gravity issues making it possible to fly around if you liked lol, or not be able to move properly at all.

I guess tgc feel abit rushed or something and are maybe pandering to a few who want game making features earlier, I for 1 wouldn't mind a few small features added as I have said before, but things like undo or mass delete simple features for the editor more than other things which have been added so far.

this rift while good at later dates could of been held off, standalone too.

I just hope it pans out well enough in the end and we do get the performance needed by all.

and on a side note, I have tested alpha engine software and I get a rather good 46fps with a different company with my crap gpu so its not impossible for me to get good fps it just seems that why when using reloaded.

my hope is lee gets a good rest, does not break his arms or legs while skiing and comes back refreshed and ready for some serious performance coding. oh and that tgc takes all the comments views and thoughts of its community to heart and holds of the rush jobs and fancy non core features alittle better.

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 15:04 Edited at: 6th Feb 2014 15:05
Hello Community!

I hope Lee comes back fresh and ready to battle with his source code.

Developing Reloaded is taking longer than we (and probably you) had expected. The last Beta date was tied to Lee's vacation and with hindsight we should have delayed its release. It's been a hard thread to read and digest but we will not turn away from the issues at hand. We will continue the journey of making the product work to a very high quality.

The flying is very crazy and the enemies still pretty dumb. Both will be sorted I can guarantee it.

When Lee is back next week he can also give you his thoughts on the engine and how we plan to move forward.

Rick

Development Director

TGC Team
J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 15:09 Edited at: 6th Feb 2014 15:20
Thanks RickV

you guys shouldnt get heartfeelings only because the community says what it thinks and feels this is the best feedback you will get.

The oppertunity with a Community that follows, says what it thinks and wants and beta tests a Engine like Reloaded is what makes this journey special.

Together - when taking us the Community into account

this Engine can get to a level that noone would have guessed.

Lets do it!

Edit:

@RickV

you guys might wanna add a new FPSCR Engine profile on moddb/indiedb

http://www.moddb.com/

this will get you some more attention and possible pledgers!

http://j0linar.blogspot.co.at/
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Together - when taking us the Community into account

this Engine can get to a level that noone would have guessed.

Lets do it!

"

I whole heartedly agree
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 17:25
Quote: "It's been a hard thread to read and digest but we will not turn away from the issues at hand. We will continue the journey of making the product work to a very high quality."

I'll bet it's been disheartening, but it's true, and it's a situation that you've created. I really don't understand why you're allowing features to be added to an unfinished, currently unusable core. Perhaps because it has taken too long to get the results you need by now. The claim to fame - the "flagship" - of this engine is obviously the terrain, but it's not usable yet. We all know that piling entities and features onto it is not going to help. I hope you'll regroup, get back to basics and restore my faith, because ATM I'm loosing it.

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 23:59
Me too. I am not sure you can actually make it work. I have lost faith tbh not even installed v5. Not even played with it since jan.no point it crashes buggy and can't even make a village scene. What's the point of v5 it is worse it seems. And I do think you made major mistake making someone do rift when the guy could of been put to terrain or memory etc. Bad call imo. Sorry

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 00:06 Edited at: 7th Feb 2014 00:07
I'm assuming most of the new smaller features don't harm the core issues. Such as the HUD displays, cross-hairs, new sound effects, player marker controls... and etc. So I have no problems with features like that being added in. Since I believe they are separate modules and workflows that don't affect the other issues we've been experiencing.

Guess the real question is priorities and task delegation. I understand its a very very small team.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 14:38
Hi Guys,

Just got back into the 'hot' seat and going through my emails and post histories, and I am in full agreement that the next few releases should be heavy on core stuff. Personally, I would like to focus entirely on core to the exclusion of all else, but development life is rarely that pure

I'm downloading the HOOD demo now to get a feel for the feedback first hand, and reading the thread you will get no argument from me on the items mentioned. More performance and proper AI seem to be high on your list, and mine too, so I'll be looking to push these as the highest priorities in the development weeks to come. I have also extended the testing period for the next update, so you only get it once a few more eyeballs and a few more days have tested the release. I have a development meeting Wednesday to discuss the exact order of importance on which core issues will be addressed for the next release, and in the meantime I will be knocking on the head the 'easy to fix silly ones' that crept into the beta since the last version.

I would like to post here more, and I do jump in once a week to reply to every post on the first page (when I am not skiing), but I feel coming here daily might detract from actual coding and I usually end up repeating myself after a while Hopefully my blog posts provide enough information on the daily stuff and a once a week appearance in person will fill in any gaps from me. If you have any recommendations how I could further reduce the apparent communication gap without adversely affecting my coding hours, please get in touch!

I came back from my vacation with a few more ideas how I could get more speed from the engine, so unless I am molested by higher priority items, I will be spending today and Tuesday trying those out (along with fixing those silly items I mentioned).

We also had the foresight to get some parallel developments coded in my absence, so I have returned to a new installer revision which will cleanly uninstall all your installed files from the next version onwards, but leave your user content and levels in tact. We've also rewritten the LUA scripting engine module, which now gives us full control of the underlying source code, not to mention adding some nifty extras like multi-scope LUA scripting which will eventually allow you to create scripts for HUD and interface displays, plus other independent logic within the game (more on that in the future). Other work has been done for the Construction Kit and Object Importer, but I am strongly inclined to defer these releases as there is an integration cost that would distract me from the singular pursuit of core work.

Time for me to open up the engine now and start working on performance and the sillier core issues in there. If you feel I should be working on something else until Wednesday (as it's very likely I have forgotten stuff since the start of this post), please let me know by posting here so we can get a general overview of how you would prioritize my next two days I will post again after the Wednesday meeting to let you know what priorities were decided (or you can read the blog post on that day as it will be repeated there as well).

For those with some patience left, thanks for sticking with us. For those who just ran out of it, welcome to the world of game engine development and I'll see what I can do to restore your faith To take the guesswork out of it, please email me by Tuesday PM, one item that you would like to see in the next update and I'll add it to the meeting on Wednesday.

Hogging the awesome since 1999
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 14:49
Welcome back Lee hope you had a good holiday now get back to work its good to see you also agree the core needs work so i will await and see what the next beta brings.

P.s please take the 60fps limit off

Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Take all limits off would be good.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 00:05
Enabled the field in SETUP.INI so VSYNC=0 will disable the vertical sync with the monitor refresh rate. I will be pairing this change with some more work on the physics speed consistency, and am in correspondence with a fellow coder who has some advance experience in coding Bullet SDK in DBP

Hogging the awesome since 1999

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 00:55:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 00:55:09