Product Chat / A litte help re-sizing objects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 03:53 Edited at: 1st Feb 2014 04:01
Does anyone know a good way to scale objects i use 3ds-max and i am finding my self making an object changing the size placing it in the game then having to exit

to make it bigger or smaller this sometimes has to be done a few times with one model and can be rather time consuming and taxing as you can imagine.

I seen online people using background images to scale and was wondering if it will work as we don't have 3rd person view to say scale to character.

What are other people doing to scale there models as there must be a faster way

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 04:28 Edited at: 1st Feb 2014 04:37
I know nothing about it but does this help ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4fhjMJUyS0

Hope so but you are probably doing this already

or could you import a reloaded model to use as scale ?
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 04:41 Edited at: 1st Feb 2014 05:31
Cripes, what a carry on just to get a scale measurement....there is a measuring tape in Max, you can also use the measure utility in Max which will give you the exact scale of selected model according to units set, not to mention the fields at the bottom when scale tool is selected.......you can import a model from FPSCR and compare scale from that if you really need to do it by eye. There are many ways to measure in Max precisely.

I can't actually see anyone using that overblown method to scale one object to another and I couldn't even sit through it all. FFD's are exactly what they say they are Freeform Deformers not simply for scaling. I think he's just showing other uses he 'discovered' for these.. The confusion and comments speak for themselves, even a guy that models in C4D and imports to Max cus he doesn't have a clue how to use his expensive 3d software, which he seems to believe doesn't even have basic fields to type in his measurements

Just an aside but Reloaded uses world units in feet and inches....nothing fancy there. Provided all artists and modelers stick to this there should be no mismatch in object scales

If using these units objects appear too large or small then it has to be brought to notice that camera height and/or FOV are not set properly by default.
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 11:52 Edited at: 1st Feb 2014 11:53
so anything you make you get the size bang on first time

In theory this doesn't work as everything is different for example the buildings lee made if i go on the scale sizes my houses will look strange as they are all different sizes ect. What i meant is there no way to see how your model will look in the world without exporting to game just to find out it needs to be that little bit bigger or smaller for example Tree Magik, Plant Life, and more have preview.

ps i do know how to scale just wanted a way to fit the models to the world without having to test it a few times

Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I would have thought that an easy way if you are taking Reloaded defaults as a measure for example the world scale relative to Reloaded Characters for obvious reasons then using a default Reloaded Character and say Building with doorway/room height as the human measure you need - then just use either of those as a gudie to scaling all your other models in your model editor.

To keep it simple you could import a Reloaded model to your modeller of choice and then create a new model say a simple box or wall with doorway if you like cut out to scale and it to keep as a measure. Then you have a simple object for measure as a cubic measure for height width and depth if needed. Importantly giving a measure of the amount of space a Character requires to relate to for various purposes.

This of course presumes that Reloaded Characters are correctly scaled at the moment by default relative to the buildings/doorways and that the Reloaded player scale (camera) is also relative and correct to those things.

i.e. a simple wall with doorway should be enough for a measure. That's what I use anyway and import it into a model file for scale if needed. Once you know and decide on a scale then you may not need it if you know your Grid in model editor and can remember which grid lines to measure too. I guess you could also take a screen shot of a model/models, say wall/door/character at correct scale in modeller and then import that as a background in Model editor to use as your guide so all you would need is the image for scaling guide.

Not sure that you wont always perhaps need a little tweaking though as correct scale may not always appear correct to a human I guess as the human eye can be tricked by optical illusion and so on and sometimes its whats looks right in game.

Anyway I don't think it need be complicated.

Later Reloaded may possibly have scaling internally who knows?
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 12:38
Thanks Uman i will give it a go using one of the Characters and see if it speeds things up .

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 01:59 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2014 02:08
Quote: "so anything you make you get the size bang on first time"

Pretty much

As I stated if it doesn't appear to scale properly when viewed in game then it's camera settings which need looked at, of course if your going to scale alongside models which don't meet world scales then it's not going to work, this is why it's important that modelers around here who want to distribute media (particularly for sale) need uniformity. At least for non organic models such as architecture.

The grid system in Classic was 100"x100" inches and the same grid is used. In Reloaded you can see this when you press 'b' twice and entity's will snap to it.

The stock character in Reloaded is a fraction short of 6'2" so it is all created to a 'real' world scale.
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 02:07
thanks i am using one of the characters as reference now so it is helping alot most are just run look at it exit and that's that but thanks for the info it helps

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 22:16
In a forthcoming feature (not written by Lee), we have the built in ability to scale your imported model against an icon of a typical human body height (the player) so you can set the relative scale of any model coming into Reloaded. This directly modifies the SCALE value which is already part of the FPE setting of current entities which in turn adjust the scale of the object in the scene. We have not considered real-time scaling of entities at present as this has a knock-on effect in terms of collision data and visibility culling (and to some degree performance).

Hogging the awesome since 1999
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 22:24
sounds great it would save a lot of messing about

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 05:43:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 05:43:20