Product Chat / Escape the Compound demo. First scripting test.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all. I'm reasonably late to the alpha cascade video list, but have had various, issues, while using the new version.

However, after several attempts at a Roman setting failing with numerous crashes of black death, I decided to try something different. I wanted to try out scripting when I first heard the news it was going to be implemented in the update. So, with no Lua knowledge whatsoever I have come up with this little demo. I'm fairly well versed in DB and AGK, so editing existing Lua scripts presented little difficulty, even though I have no real knowledge of the language, I can still work out what is happening easily enough. Although the language seems a little odd with this sort of statement to me.

Why use then at all? An endif seems adequate. Still the joys of not knowing a new language lol. Perhaps it is possible but I haven't had the sense to try

Anyway, here is the video, I tried to get it looking fairly decent, and if not limited by crash issues in the later stages, would have tried to pretty it up a little more. Hope you like it!

Oh, the scripting I edited is adequate but a little dodgy on the key collect. Not quite sure how I can make a message to stay up longer yet. Apart from looking at the door script a little more and working out how the states are working. Which I haven't really looked at much yet as it involves a lot of loops lol.

Here is the video of my little test, it includes some very basic puzzles and a bit of shooting action!

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 01:26
Nice work

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Tattie, took a bit of patience I tell you!

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 04:29
Very good now all you need is clutter. Check out the post-apocalyptic packs and start littering up the ground lol

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
nice vid m8, the safe was good how you get that model/door script to work with it?

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 10:24
Hi DVader,

Nice little demo there. Clearly we still need to do a lot more work on the enemy AI and animations. Items to be picked up need to have a glow option (as it's very hard to see what it is you are picking up). The text message soon disappears, really it needs to be on screen for longer.

We're moving in the right direction and if we can keep fine tuning these details we'll build an awesome game creator. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Rick

Financial Director

TGC Team
J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
DVader@

I really like your video - In fact I like all your video's so far..

and I think somehow they are going to get even better..

as we get more LUA updates from Lee and you get your imagination working on them.

Thanks for sharing..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Teabone, I'll give it a look, always struggling for models, there never seems enough in each pack to make a game. However, I am close to the limit on this level as it is. To give you an idea how awkward it is to edit now, let me tell you the process I h
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
@dvader

ah I see, so you made it, cool.

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I may as well put it here for anyone who can make use of it. I include the Lua file in there as well, just copy it into the script bank folder.

This is the original video I did when I gave it away ages ago. This version needed fixing to work in Reloaded, which Lee kindly did for me awhile back

I forgot to add the sound effect in to the script, this time, but it should be easy to add one in.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 22:00
Many thanks DVader .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 23:18 Edited at: 24th Jan 2014 23:21
No problems granada, If you can use it, even if only to play about with

I have since fixed the messages that popped up so fast, changing it so you have to press the e key to pick things up and such. It took me about 10 mins in the end after reading the example scripts more closely, I forgot to use == in a prior effort rather than =. Simple enough mistake, I am used to DB and AGK Basic.

I'm looking forward to discovering more stuff with scripting. I just need some more animated models

J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
DVader@

I tried to make a simple message system in my PDF with my play with DOOR script

to show multiple prompts for each action...

It might give you some ideas..

I attach the PDF file - hope it helps..
PM
Uechi
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks Great!! Did you use models from FPSC? or create your own?
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Everything in here is out of model packs I own, apart from the safe which I made myself. I'm not nearly good enough with a modelling package to do most of the media in this. In the past using FPSC I have added small items, computer screens, keyboards, books, just to help whatever storyline I was using. Hopefully I still have most of them about somewhere..

@ J_C, that looks interesting, a little complex for my tests so far, but I'm sure I will have a closer look when I am in the mood Too tired last night and still too early for me to get into much today yet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 19:56:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 19:56:37