Product Chat / waypoint following auto paint road texture mapping system

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been testing an alpha system for games making. it has a waypoint following texture adding for roads that's very good.

I cant place a video of it here I don't think that's right tbh imo, but the system could possible be a great way to add roads to the editor?.

how it works is, you place waypoints for the road to follow. then with some tweaks you can change the mapped out area of waypoints to better suit you. then by adding textures to the marked out areas you have a road system made, now in this software it comes with a smooth over brush to get the roadway to stick better to the terrain, uphill and such. also it has an option to cut into terrain so you can make roads with cliffs either side.

this is done using Lua scripting I think but am unsure as I know nothing of it and scripting in general, but I do know they use Lua for the scripting of stuff.

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
A lot of the engines use bezier curves to model roads, increasing the terrains detail on the road edge and surrounding area, that way you can make sweeping curved roads carved into and on the terrain which look highly realistic. I'm hopeful TGC will be adopting something similar. Complicated maths in my mind, but there are people who find this fairly easy :0. But then we can simply add waypoints and move em about to get em how we want, select if a road is curved or straight etc, and carve it into the terrain complete with road texture. It would also be nice if after placing a road if you want to alter the terrain, it knows where the oad is and reacts accordingly, so you can build up/lower banks without destroying the road.

We will have to see what we get in this area, when it is added

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
well if it means having multiple road styles and such cool lol...

but yeah something good and easy to use would be nice, with say mud roads textures and normal public highways/town roads then of course over head sections and such aswell. though some might have to be entities I guess ?.

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2014 23:23
I had imagined these sorts of features added to the Advanced Terrain feature on the voting board. I have sent updated descriptions of the voting features to Rick so hopefully they should be live on the site. Carving roads, paths and other trails into the terrain requires cooperation from the terrain system which is why I placed it as part of this advanced terrain work. The idea of attaching waypoints to the roads in the background is also a good idea, but would only really work for vehicles and road going entities. I can't see many games making sense with characters walking down the middle of the road into the distant blue yonder

Hogging the awesome since 1999
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
well fallout 3 had plenty of roads and no vehicles to use on them, walking was all you could do. and if you give the way points a width field you can make them 1m wide paths with mud paths street paths and what ever other kind of road way you wanted. sandy tracks marks in the desert or driven over snow or foot prints it really is free to toy about with, just a texture away really. but im no coder so no idea on difficulty or anything. lol

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2014 00:26
I have Fallout 3 on my shelf (still in it's protectively shrink wrap). If I can just finish off this pesky product I can get around to playing it My ambitions for A-to-B editing functions will not stop at roads as I see the same mechanism being perfectly suited to rivers, canyons, architectural features and anything else that needs a uniform or prescribed design along a designated line or curve. The only real difference is the graphics, and a decent abstraction layer should take care of that. By adding the ability to customize the graphics and design layers, I see no reason why this feature could be a catch-all for anything straight or wobbly cutting through the landscape.

Hogging the awesome since 1999
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah cool m8, like having a tree maze follow waypoints for placing to huh or fences sounds great do it if you can lol..

have fun stay safe

hood
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 16:21:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 16:21:28