3rd Party Models/Media Chat / some models i created

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
It's like toothach in your arm But it will subside, congratulations your thread just went 'hot'.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
makes me wish i could model... some amazing work here

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 07:58 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2014 10:04
Hi Harry,

First thing to notice was the poly difference between your initial work model and your final textured model.

Your first work model is actually 4885 poly's which is 9775 tri's, your textured and I presume further along model is 7041 poly's which is 14,049 tri's.

Most of this increase was in the wheels and I thought looking at these the originals weren't too blocky and square for a game model, may have appeared to be before you textured them

I got this down to 2724 poly's, 5325 tri's and without losing any of the edge flow of your model, I personally would take this a bit further but since it means starting to lose a little of your detail I reckon this would be a personal decision as to where you want to lose it so will let you decide for yourself. You could look at taking all the loops from the wheel arch and welding them into a single vert at the top of the chassis for instance though this will mean reworking your uv mapping.All the same it is in fact an acceptable high quality model for most game engines as it is.

Car on left 2724 poly's, 5325 tri's. Car on right 7041 poly's, 14,049 tri's.

Losing more wont hurt too much and the player wont notice these things at all as they won't stop to look over a prop and criticize, they should be too busy trying not to die so you can get away with a lot in game modeling. It's down to the texture mostly and once you throw a normal and spec map on it it will make a big difference.

A lot also depends on how it's to be used, you may never have the hood open for example and could lose all faces never going to be seen from both the hood and areas of chassis around it. You would be surprised how much you can lose this way

If it's not seen close up you could remove interior, wing mirrors,trims and so on, use a textured plane for the grill, might be worth using a small portion of your uv to do this for LOD if your going to use it.

You are doing it the right way by concentrating on getting it done then reducing where you can with a model like this..
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 10:17
The reducing is huge. WOW

First of all, many thanks for the help.

I see now what your done and understand that reducing at strategic point won't be noticed by the player.It is indeed true that the player should be busy with surviving.

The weels where indeed high in poly.

Quote: "You could look at taking all the loops from the wheel arch and welding them into a single vert at the top of the chassis for instance "

This is the part that i don't unstand, can you explane this a bit further.

For the rest is more clear to me now.

Thanks again

GR

Harry

Harry
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 11:46 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2014 12:10
Quote: "This is the part that i don't unstand, can you explane this a bit further."
I was just thinking out loud about how you would reduce faces around the wheel arch without destroying the curve, something like this might work better.

It's not elegant but would work fine for lower LOD.
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 13:19 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2014 13:19
Oke yep, now i see what youre saying.

wheel arch, not the wheel.

Sorry, but somethimes its hard to read tech english, when it is not youre native lanquage.

But i understand now what you meant.

Thanks.

Harry
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 22:25
I just wanted to make a test run in reloaded.

This is what i get.

I can see the tri's and the texture looks really bad.

Is my texture wrong?.

Harry
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 22:45 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2014 23:02
You can always put a couple more vertical loops back into the door and apply more smoothing, looks like your normal map may be a little strong or simply not correct. I have found myself that Reloaded really does need extra smoothing on low poly models and the lighting model isn't the best, it's the reason I suggested baking an AO for it to help with this. We both know it looks ok in Max, even with preview lighting.

If you simply ran your diffuse texture through a filter to create the normal or let Reloaded create one then there are alot of areas going to receive bump where it shouldn't.

You are at the point where you need to constantly load it up in the editor to see what it looks like as you go when reducing, a part of the pipeline which isn't great from the start and something I bitched long and hard about before it even went to Beta
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 10:35 Edited at: 4th Mar 2014 10:39
Hi rolfy,

I add some loops and work with smoothing, but Always with the same bad result.

The strange thing is, when i turn down Entity shader to lowest, then the tri's view are gone and it looks better.

see image

Entity shader off:

Gr

Harry
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 20:22
These screenshots are with a different and basic shaderfile.

So the standard shader is not working with this model.

Gr

Harry

Harry
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 13:04
You can download the pontiac car here.

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208074&b=8

Gr