Product Chat / A test in a swamp.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2014 21:35 Edited at: 10th Jan 2014 17:35
Hi. I've been playing with Reloaded and have gone back to some natural scenery rather the last video I did in the Medieval town. To my surprise, when I had just the basic terrain and grass down in this scene it ran over 60 fps pretty much all the time. Even with the water and reflections set to over 50%. Once I added in a few trees I was getting back down to 25-30 fps.

This to my mind means that the terrain is not hogging the system as much as everyone thinks. I also tried to use new reloaded models only, but I quite possibly added a tree from an old pack. I'll have to double check. The FPS dropped a lot more than you would expect for the amount of trees I have added. I have my older level without trees, so I will go back and try some more stuff. I'm curious how far I could have gone with the terrain and grass and keep speed. I have a feeling probably a lot.

Heres the video.

If I get some good results with my next tests I'll be sure to let you all know!

Edit - I have a second video down below which shows a grass full level

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2014 21:50
You should keep going, see how far you can push it

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I will be doing so I only really suffered slow down when I put in trees and stuff. Also, although not ideal, I am guessing that if I disable collision on the trees, it will perform a lot better. It makes me wonder if collision is checked all the time even with things quite a distance away. If so that may be an area to improve speed dramatically!

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 12:35
That's a good point and worth testing !

I would be interested to see the results collision Vs no collision.

I loaded up a test level last night that did about week ago. First time I tested the level I was seeing 5-6fps, last night I got 27-30fps ! I don't know if this was a memory issues or LOD working better for some reason.

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well after messing about I can definitely say that it runs faster without collision enabled on the trees. I actually ran out of memory before I ran out of enough speed. Fair enough it wasn't super smooth and did some occasional pausing to load chunks, but I did put down a LOT of trees. I'm sure there is a bug causing some issues there myself.

Also, I managed to do a level with grass covering a huge area, spanning across the length of the entire terrain, and it still ran 40+ fps np. In fact it was mainly 70+ but occasionally dropped down a little.

The start of this video is the scene I messed about with set at sunset. I added a few more bits to spice it up and played about with the settings to get a nice balance of graphics and performance. I also have other scenes in there, that you may or may not have seen.

Still, grass at least on my system, is without doubt working way better than it originally did! I'm pretty sure you could paint the entire terrain and still run about no problem. Now we just need a similar system for trees

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
looking good dvader m8, love the 2nd vid... what was the roman looking stuff you had there I would like to see more of that area .

also the music was good in the 2nd vid aswell pity though as I do enjoy your commentary lol.

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks almightyhood. I thought I'd give you guys a rest from my mutterings lol. So just did a few runs on some scenes I have made and edited bits together I'm sure I will do more talking ones ;p

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
lol, well would still be interested in the roman/greek area sort of thing you did was not enough of it in the vid lol

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats scene is kinda my least favourite. I did a huge scene in an older version, but it ended up getting killed by a bug So this one was a very quick remake of part of it. I'll probably do a better one at some point, spend a bit more time. I'll be sure to put up a video if I do!

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
ah I see, but yeah cool m8 please do

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Great vids, I sub'd. Keep up the great work.

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Defy! Your a diamond!

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2014 23:13
DVader : Your videos are great, makes me want to work on Reloaded faster so you can make more videos Keep up the good work - I'll see if I can keep up!

Hogging the awesome since 1999
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
That's good of you to say Lee! I'm looking forward to testing out the new stuff in the Gold update later this week! I might even fire up Blender and try to make something new for it! Although I do find Blender to be rather confusing!

Oh, a grass distance slider bar would be nice if you could get something in for that! No rush!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 20:44:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 20:44:57