Product Chat / Medieval World

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2013 17:45 Edited at: 27th Dec 2013 21:28
Hi, I've been playing with the latest update. Let's face it that's all we can really do at the moment. I'm hoping we will get a few new toys next update as well as further performance increases.

Here is a video showing what I have managed to get running with it. This is definitely the best update so far and brings performance back more in line with the first release. If you use the lower shader options etc, you will get a massive increase.

This is using model pack media and is looking pretty nice in places. Obviously some normal maps would improve matters, and possibly a bit more scenery besides houses. This was a test to see how complex I could go with this update though, and I was hitting the limit before I got to sprucing it up with lampposts etc. I am tempted to start trying to add normal maps for the models I am using, as it would look even better.

We need more speed still, it's getting there, but you only have to take a look at an old game, say Oblivion. I can run that on Ultra high detail at 1080p and higher no problems on this machine. The scenery on it is well, pretty complex and there are some nice shader effects going on. It rarely even judders running super smooth all the time. So my scene in comparison is pretty lame, and so far with each update I have ran out of steam in the engine before I have made anything like the scene I was attempting. I also agree with people who want more toys to play with, we could do with a few more things in the next update as well as speed increases.

Still enjoy the video, I'm trying to do at least one for each update as they arrive!

Edit - The video is 1080p so you can up the quality if it starts at 480p Also, if you like this, please leave a like or comment on it as this will help it get listed better by Youtube, and so get more people looking at FPSC Reloaded! Thanks for taking a look!

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
nice video m8, that was a fairly big place you had there. I have not gone as big as that and been able to get much out of it as yet, but fingers crossed we get it there sometime soon.

as to a comment you made in the vid itself, I agree to much leaning towards middle eastern themes and not enough swords and shields as yet..

I know its a fps but I do hope for some good knights and archers maybe even some magic users aswell ... would suit a game idea im playing with in my head

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Almightyhood, glad you liked it. My system is fairly good considering it's at least 6 years old. I had to tweak that level a lot to get the performance I did, removing any overly ambitious foliage.

The media issue is a bug bear for me, seeing as it always seems military based and rather limited apart from making a full shooter. I'm sure most people using FPSC are hoping to do something different, rather than try to copy the big games out there. Let's face it we can't compete in that area. Those games have a level of detail and even fully destructible buildings, which we will never achieve with FPSC, or at least not for a long time. By then of course the big games will have undoubtedly moved on and will be even more impressive (graphically at least). I'm more interested in making something more adventure orientated. I have a unique loathing of modern FPS games, and to be honest have never been a big fan. Give me puzzles and adventure, not just mindless shooting. Games like that are rare and few these days.

Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 05:04 Edited at: 30th Dec 2013 09:19
Yeah great video to see what you have been testing.

I've been away for awhile, and have some questions if you have time.

In the video I don't believe I spotted any segments.

*EDIT - just read blog about new room blobs system.

If this is a 'test' game, is the compile game option available yet to test load times. Or is test game the only option at present?

I also read some issues with old media, is the current user/beta tester able to import media from the old fpsc, or did you have to modify the entities placed in your scene (video)?

Thanks

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 07:39
Very nice, now we need new HUDS

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 19:07
Nice video DVader What software do you use to capture the screen?

I'm itching to make a bigger place like you have, I just don't want to go mad at the moment, incase it doesn't save or runs out of memory !

Did you have any issues making that test map?

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 19:27 Edited at: 30th Dec 2013 19:34
Hi all thanks for the positive comments! Feel free to comment on the youtube page also, as it helps to push it up the rankings and therefore get more people interested in Reloaded!

Defy, there is no build game option at present, everything here is done in test mode. I'm guessing a build option is still away off on the list of priorities until there are more features added. To answer your question about media, I did have to alter the fpe files a little, just to prevent ugliness with the LOD system. I got the info off these forums, I think off a post by Rolfy.

;LOD System

disablebatch = 1

lod1distance = 400

lod2distance = 600

This prevents some horrible blurring and vastly improves the look from a distance.

E30Legend, I use fraps for most my videos, or Debut, dependant on what I am doing. I did have several issues making the map, crashes are unavoidable at present, and you have to be prepared to lose stuff. I save regularly, and with a different file name each time to try to avoid this whenever possible. But you can safely say I probably made this level 2 to 3 times over all in all lol. I have ran out of memory several times, but it seems to be a little buggy still in that regard. Normally reloading from the last save point will work ok, so far at least!

After spending an age deleting trees and bushes I put in which were a bit much for it. I seriously would like some sort of select tool to delete on mass!

Edit - Oh regarding interior scenes. I have done a video about that. I put together a few walls and floor, ceiling segments and used those to fake an indoor scene. Obviously it's not great, but it is a way round the issue at the moment, although the lighting is still a bit odd, and my graphics were well, ropey . Still it worked and kept to a decent speed. So, it can be done, even without the blob system, if you are prepared to make your own wall segments etc.

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 17:49
Thanks for the info DVader.

I didn't try larger map, instead I tried a smaller map but with lots of detail, apart from the odd entity disappearing (not a LoD issue as it deleted from the editor as well) it was relatively trouble free !

Once I'm happy with the map I'll try and use fraps to make a video

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-10 07:29:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-10 07:29:39