Product Chat / Would it be possible in future to play the game in the browser?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Would it be possible in future to play the game in the browser? Or something like this might not be at all?
Steohl72
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2013 12:35
No
PM
Dany
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! and Would it be possible to run the games on tablets with Microsoft's Windows 8 for tablets?
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2013 15:06
If TGC decide (down the road) to incorporate some of their AGK tech into this engine, it could very well be possible. I myself would love to see this (of course, I would love to see in-browser, such as Unity currently does) as well.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, AGK actually doesn't support a web browser yet, which was the main reason I bought it So I was, and still am a little disappointed with it. Freedom did but was buggy and not great, and also a complete distraction from AGK. Also from what I could see, running an FPSC classic level in a browser was, well, slow beyond belief, not Unity by any stretch of the imagination.

Take note TGC, I remember the initial promises for AGK and web browsing was one of them. Now we have AGK V2 in the works, which incidentally I have backed as well, and still no browser support!

I have heard they may get Reloaded to run on mobile phones and such, which is more plausible, but fairly pointless really, the phones controls really suffer with this sort of game. Also, if you think performance is bad now, wait till you try it on a little bitty phone lol.

I am also a bit wary of this idea, as unless I am wrong, getting FPSC running in AGK will require a fair bit of work, it won't be a simple port. In fact it could potentially be a total rewrite, but I could easily be wrong there. If it was done (when AGK is up to it, which it is not as yet) I expect it would be a separate entity and not just an update of the current version.

Personally I will be happy if it just delivers decent performance, good AI and plenty of control for virtually any scenario you want.

xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Considering even top-of-the-line computers (mine included) struggle to run FPSC:R smoothly with more than a few assets loaded, wishing it on mobile is a stretch at this point. It's also DirectX-based so to port it over to Web or iOS/Android would require converting it entirely to OpenGL/WebGL. I could see Windows phones and tablets as a distant possibility, but again I don't see it performing well on such platforms, at all, and any such integration would surely be years down the road given how much still needs to be done with the core engine.

@DVader, yeah kind of disappointing with AGK in that regard. The entire Freedom Engine product came out of the blue when AGK was still in infancy, and wasted a year or so of dev time that could've been spent making AGK into a much more stable product itself. I understood where Lee and TGC were coming from with it since Web-based stuff is so popular these days, but it just was a sour experience to me.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU, NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU, G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 20:14
No short term plans for Reloaded in a browser. We want to focus on the PC platform, and get that one working nicely. No sense running before we can walk, and we have parallel work happening in the AGK camp so perhaps down the road when we have the technology in place we can investigate some sort of migration to other platforms. Right now my mind is entirely on the PC, and I'm not even close to finished with it

Hogging the awesome since 1999

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 22:31:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 22:31:02