Product Chat / How are you finding the new update?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2013 01:30 Edited at: 27th Dec 2013 01:32
Hi, it's now past the season of goodwill, and we have all had a chance to try out the latest update. the question is, what's the verdict?

So far, I have been fairly impressed with it. I'm still not getting the response and frame rate I would like, by any means, but it is definitely coming along nicely. It needs more work on performance still, imo, I'd love to see it perform like Dead Island for instance Perhaps asking a bit much, but that game is fairly old by today's standards. We can but hope

Here's a screenie from my latest mess about. I'm playing about trying a fairly complicated scene and playing about getting the speed to stay reasonable. Once I'm happy I will probably do a video of it

All in all, I am finding it the best update yet, and am looking forward to the next one!

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 20:01
I have plenty more ideas for performance. Just a question of how much patience I can squeeze out the community before I am lynched for not adding a juicy new feature Currently hammering out the memory usage of the engine, and eliminating leaks, and then I will be right onto performance again and looking much closer at the hundred thousand polygons used for mostly invisible terrain!

Hogging the awesome since 1999
Thurnok
Years of Service
User Offline
Not all of us will lynch you Lee.

Anyway, being a developer myself (business applications and utilities), I think you are really facing the issue of making this available at such an early stage in the development cycle. People will always find something to gripe about not quite being they way they want it. The earlier you provide a release (Alpha, Beta, Early Access, etc) the more there will be to gripe about because when someone has something "in their hands" they expect it to be perfect at that point.

Not everyone is like that, mind you, but the addict of "gripes far outweigh praise" holds true for everything in life, and software development is no exception.

@DVader - how's that scene you are working on coming along?
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2014 21:03
@Thurnok; after a few decades you get to appreciate the ebb and flow of public opinion when it comes to software you release naked into the world. I have learned to take every criticism, cunning jibe and personal attack as a gift, and try to find the kern
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Thurnok. I finished as far as I could, and have done a video on it since It turned out pretty well and looked pretty stunning in places. Check out my Medieval World thread.

@ Lee. Your doing a great job with reloaded so far. If I point out things t
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 17:59
I have plenty more ideas for performance improvements, and the shadow hit is due to real models being used to cast shadows (rendered about four times for four shadow cascade levels). My new quad system could drastically cut down on that but it means gobbling up video memory. The good news is that video memory usage is okay right now with plenty left to use

Hogging the awesome since 1999
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I do literally mean a basic terrain nothing else, shadows still slows it. Just wondering if it is doing something it needn't.

Still I've been having a fair bit of success with playing about disabling collision on trees, it seems to help a fair bit. I actually run out of memory before performance becomes really bad. It tends to stutter when loading chunks of data when overloaded. but it's definitely getting there

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 08:24 Edited at: 10th Jan 2014 08:27
It be cool if there was an easier way to raise objects. Holding 9 takes about an entire minute just to get to about this high lol

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice pic! Like the models! Have you tried right clicking an entity and using pageup/pagedown to move the objects up and down? I find that fairly fast.

Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah agree, nice pic. Yeah I also use the Page up/down.

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 19:49:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 19:49:23