Product Chat / FPS Creaotr X9 Characters?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
The reason I pledged is because I think Reloaded with give me a decent opportunity to make my own RPG. But if there is no way to use the characters from X9, I will be a bit disappointed. Will there be a wait to get the characters to work in Reloaded?
PM
VRGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2013 11:24
I hope Lee will solve this problem , I have bought many modelpacks so I like to use these X9 models in Reloaded.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah plus they gave so many model packs out with gold pledge why if they wont plan to make them work right in reloaded??. was kinda why I pledged gold for models packs to get started with...

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 20:09
Originally we included the classic packs so you could use more of FPS Classic while you waited for Reloaded to get to a good BETA, but perhaps this promotion is now causing more confusion than anything else.

Are you requesting we stop all performance and memory work and turn our efforts to full legacy support of all X9 model packs? My gut feel is that you would prefer new model packs with the best looking characters and assets, typical of modern day games. Spending time on yesterday's art would only delay these advances and produce games that look dated compared to the titles of 2013/2014. Opinions welcome!

Hogging the awesome since 1999
Thurnok
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with you Lee, better model packs fitting the new system will definitely be preferable.

However, it would also be good at some point to have a tool that can import older packs if for nothing more than using for prototype builds where we don't quite have the actual asset(s) yet and plan to either buy/find or create ourselves later before we do a gold release.

So not a priority, but would be a "good to have" in my opinion.
PM
pianodavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2014 18:35 Edited at: 5th Jan 2014 18:38
Golly, don\'t you guys like using your own models? This is one area I\'m really finding strange about this program\'s users. The concept, it seems to me is that FPSCR will eventually provide a language to assert the implementation of animated models along with an AI system to make an interactive format challenging and riveting for the experienced and novice alike, the measure of which still depends upon the imagination of the game maker. Along with this, we get tools for easily carving out terrain, a water system that also has literally no work involved, vegetation and various landscaping textures instantly appearing in seconds - so simple that a chimpanzee can do it, skies and atmospheres and lights appearing with a simple slide....... all this and as a \"game creator\" we desire to have someone else provide our content?? Where is the \"creator\" in ourselves if we are not at least adding our own content - and yes, content with animation? I realize none of us are probably interested in taking on the challenge of putting together our own game from scratch using C++, but really, shouldn\'t we be doing something that at one point makes the final game product our own? For me, the included model packs are simply a template to get an idea what might work well someday in a final product. I hope I\'m not offending anyone, but can someone please explain to me how a person can honestly believe they are creating a game if they are using nothing else but products others have designed? I really would encourage everyone to try some level of modeling for yourself, as there are so many great free modeling programs available today - you may even make a profit doing so. I suggest starting with the open source Blender - it is critically acclaimed and now competes with high end modeling/animation proggys that are reserved for the wealthy only.http://www.blender.org/download/

I really only want to encourage all of us in whatever we use this program, but if you really want a deeply rewarding experience in creating your own original game - keep it as original as you possibly can!

All you need is love....so let me have your burger.
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
oh I don't know, how original is a zombie game these days model wise? or a ww2 shooter?, some people don't want to learn modelling because it takes time away from story writing and quest ideas. I for 1 would like nothing more than to get my model assets ideas out of my head and into a software like blender, which I tried and just could not work. some others may well like nothing more than to use stock entities for a game and just do it for fun out of the spare of the moment as it were. whatever the reasons for wanting generic assets are its their choice and ultimately the originality comes from story idea not model looks. I mean I have played and paid for some crap games that looked the nuts, and reversely played some dog ugly games that were great stories, im sure you could say the same thing from your gaming experience?!

what it comes down to for me is not being able to do the things like this without a lot of effort and time and frustration, the sort that puts people off altogether, so why waste time failing when you can do something more constructive and enjoyable?

yeah so the models are 2nd 3rd maybe 10th hand used in other games by lots of other users/devs but if generic assets was not appealing I guess tgc would not bother to sell them in the 1st place or build around that style of ease of use either. if they wanted artists only using the software and not us noobs lol that is..

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2014 20:05 Edited at: 5th Jan 2014 20:22
The whole point of a product like Reloaded is to give indie developers, very often one man operations a hand up the ladder, ahead start. In fact much more than that is needed to make a decent computer game. No matter how much help you can get of any type it will still take a very long time to make a good game worthy of the title. Some years I guess - given that yes you may want to include a lot of your own content and or put your own slant on existing content, as well as developing the design, planning, story, levels, content, programming/coding, music, interface, cut scenes and much, more.

Nothing stopping anyone who wants to make all of their own content from scratch from doing so if they have the knowledge, skills, time and money and still a lot of it. Some years at least I imagine.

Yes you can create a game of some sort in a reasonably short space of time and those that want to do that can go further with any level of bespoke game creation for assets and so on they desire. Spend less time or more time depending of your circumstances.

That again is the whole point more people have more choices and Reloaded will have more users and more games will be made with it. Short Games, Long Games and games of different types and qualities depending on ones point of view.

Out of all those games made few will be top games BOTB and alike. Few users will want to spend years making a game by making their own bespoke game and content from scratch. The majority will want to Use Reloaded because it is easy to use and gives them a route to a speedy pipeline to end game deployment.

No idea why anyone would want or choose to have to spend more time and resources making a game than they have too. If anyone wants to volunteer for that then they can do so and those that don't can also make a game inkeeping with their own abilities, resources, skills and time and so on.

Helpful internal features can help everyone equally - a benefit for all users. You don't have to take advantage of them if you don't want too. For many it will be the only way to success or just make a simple game and enjoy themselves rather than being frustrated not achieving anything at all for reasons which are often personal and cant be discounted and or quantified by anyone else.

Tools like Reloaded empower more people to achieve more themselves when it would otherwise be impossible for them to do so and that is a very enviable achievement in itself.

That is the bottom line - Reloaded is a tool to help people make games - the more people and the more games the better. Some you may like, some you may not but then that will always be the case no matter what. Some creators or developers often wont like their own games as we well know having made them - self satisfaction is not easy to achieve no matter what. Its a personal thing. Still lets have them.

Don't make the mistake in thinking that using Reloaded to develop a game will be a walk in the park or that it will make a top title for you out of the box without a lot of hard work. Depending upon your point of view that may for example require AI to think like humans and that is a long way off for indie developers and Reloaded too. You may/will need a lot of skill in various disciplines and areas of game making and much programming/coding perhaps to achieve that and much more and many other things seen in top games. It wont be that easy no matter how helpful Reloaded becomes. I have not seen too many top notch successful games yet made with any indie engine and that is not likely to change for the same reasons as always have existed. The bar is now much higher by and large - though you don't necessarily need an easy to use, sophisticated expensive and advanced game engine and end game to make a successful one but in the main it helps a great deal. Importantly Yes the internal features and pipeline needs to be helpful and they and the whole stability smooth and helpful or indeed you can spend more time in frustration than actually making anything and the years can drift by so as said a walk in the park it may well not be quite yet.

pianodavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2014 23:15
I never felt that designing a game would ever be a walk in the park. But step into those first person shooters that use all the same characters, all the same buildings, all the same objects - be it furniture, vehicles, trees and other vegetation - really, folks, good luck getting the storyline making it feel fresh and new to the user. I really hope that this program will have that sort of capacity - to make all kinds of unexpected situations and decisions which can change instantly with the help of levels and such. But I wonder how many times a buyer of a game - a game player - will get blown away in environments repeating the same characters and content from previous levels - and previous games. If trying to make original content proves to be time consuming and stressful for some, hey, don't do it - whatever floats your boat as the saying goes - frankly, I'm delighted there is a way to expand the market for content dealers!

All you need is love....so let me have your burger.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 08:56:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 08:56:41