Product Chat / performance enhancing by map size change?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been wondering something now for a couple of days, and that's do we all really need the map so large all the time?.

so I would like to ask you all about this please.

if we had 4 levels of size for the outdoor map would the smaller sizes boost performance in general?, and if so what size maps would the 4 map sizes be for good size games I wonder?.

I mean we could have a smallest setting for something like the average pvp map, then something say 50% bigger than that for a larger pvp map working upwards towards smaller but bigger than pvp maps for game levels with story and pve and of course our largest map for those machines powerful enough to handle what we work with now in the editor.

maybe this would help the less powerful machines some with fps, and such?.

I myself would not use all of this big wonderful map for a level as I don't think mmo scale maps or a game like skyrim size map is in my ability sadly

what do you all think? or want/need

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
BioDragonlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 11:39
iam all for that I think I would have to agree with you this should help

the performance and your right about pvp maps don't need to be that big..

heck when it really comes down to it even a single player game could

use a map half the size and use a trigger to load then next lvl / map

Bring It On

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 18:37
This has been discussed, and I believe Lee's response was that level size would be an option at some point in development, but he wanted to get as much performance at the current level as possible before cutting it down. I have a feeling that reducing the level size is going to be the saving grace for many users down the line, when performance work has been exhausted. Time will tell. We're also seeing the ability to turn down/off visual effects which is helping older computers.

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
yep, I get more fps now with beta4 and those sliders

hope to see more in the future but also would like to see a map size change of some sort.. if not 4 or something set sizes then an option to resize the whole map by width and length. this would be good for meat grinder missions along thin corridors, kind of like mass effect 3 charge for the end (very long very thin map area.)

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm confident the map size will be changeable in future. I'd even like to see an option for a bigger map. Obviously, at the minute it probably would be fairly redundant for most of us, but in the future, and with more performance boosts it could be nice. As big as the map seems, especially trying to fill it and finding slow down well before you have even begun, it is possible to make a scene which doesn't work with the current map size. Think Game of Thrones, and you will have an idea of what I mean. I played about with a big wall, and the edges of the map were quite jarring, and actually quite close. When you have played Minecraft for some time the map doesn't seem all that huge. I do agree for many games or levels a smaller map would suffice of course.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2013 15:04
its on my list of things i'd love to see lol

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 20:20
I have an idea to reduce large segments of terrain to quads if they are completely flat, thus eliminating the 'large terrain hit' currently hurting performance on some systems. Waiting for some feedback from the original author before doing more, but we should see a significant increase in speed from this one change!

Hogging the awesome since 1999

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-10 13:29:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-10 13:29:53