Product Chat / I know this performance is important but ...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Not much left so I will work for another system That builds Games. I'm sure there are many who want to enjoy from this software So if you can add anything other than performance that would be nice.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
It is still beta, if it had been developed normally, we wouldn't have even got our hands on it till late next year. This way we get to tag along for the ride and hopefully help shape the product into a great game making tool!

I understand peoples impatience with more actual game making options, but you will have to be a little patient. From all accounts the next update is a good improvement, and will address a lot of performance issues. Hopefully then more time can be spent in fleshing out the features

It would be a mistake I think in actually trying to make levels for a game at present. I treat each update as just a chance to play about and test what can and can't be done at present, and never spend a huge amount of time on any level, well, mostly

It would be nice of course to have things like sound triggers and such working sooner rather than later though. I'm sure it shouldn't take long to get those in, say compared to Lua scripting.

BioDragonlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 03:00
I agree I mean it is a beta and a beta is all about testing,

and as far as testing goes performance is a huge part of that

I mean I would hat to get a piece of software that doesn't work

on my 4yr old computer,

the game making really comes after the software is finished.

and like you said DVader things like sound and video triggers

shouldn't take that long to program in.

Bring It On

http://www.biologistics.no-ip.org/avatar/dragon.gif
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 14:36 Edited at: 20th Dec 2013 14:39
To be honest its always been the case that you have to get real here.

Rather than locking this Thread as the original post is completely pointless - (rules are if you don't have something useful or constructive to say then pleased don't post) I will leave it open...and briefly reply.

A lot of different people want a lot of different things from their engine so they can use it for all kinds of different personal uses in making their end product whatever it might be.

Reloaded has always been said to be an evolving product and it has become more so due to the wide range of requests, wants and needs of indie developers user pledgers and the decision and said commitment of TGC to listen to them and respond by attempting to give them what they want and need. A breath of fresh air approach which is long over due in the indie developers world and a recipe for success if achieved.

No other engine will provide what Reloaded will for small indie developers in the Windows platform arena. If you want to use another engine then that's open to anyone to do so. Good luck with that.

Developing an engine like Reloaded is a long and difficult process make no mistake about that. Lee said to me in a private email jokingly some time back - yeah the year 2017 for completion. Not far off correct and not so much of a joke in reality. In 2017 users will still be asking for more I am sure

You can't get there unless you have the stable core and that has to be built, created and evlove itself to accommodate developments along the way.

Anyway to cut a long story short to avoid repeating things endlessly which has been done ever since indie game makers have existed as its all well known stuff, documented and understood by them. You aint going to get anywhere by cutting corners and relying on a half done core or with a poor base engine and you aint going to find a better solution for your needs than Reloaded.

As there are so many features to yet to add it being in its infancy I suggest you come back this time next year and see how it will have progressed and in the mean time for many unless it has all the features you require at any stage in its development then you wont be able to make a full game with it to your requirements.

Making a game proper is a long job too even with Reloaded and all the help it will provide to make your game making more efficient and faster. If you will want to make a professional type game it will still take you - well until 2017 at the earliest.

There are no magic solutions here. Making a Game engine is a long job and making a game with it about the same, no matter how good and supportive the engine and resources available. Reloaded is likely to be the best and only option around for very small individual or small team developers with few resources and limited budgets if you want to get a real product out of the door in any reasonable amount of time. Certainly if you want to click and play a game together and don't want to get into the hard work and effort of extending your project further than that.

That's about the reality of game engines around today and always has been the case.

As you can see if you look around Reloaded is scheduled to include much more than a core engine so stick around for the ride or not is a matter for every individual as to their preferences.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 07:50:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 07:50:28