Product Chat / FPS Reloaded Advise

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 07:52
I am thinking about pledging for FPS Reloaded but I’m looking for some advice. Some bkgrd is in order.

I’ve been a basic lang programmer for years (hobby not pro) and I’m interested in 3D gaming. I retired last year and began looking at FPS and DB. I played a little with FPS but turned to DBPro and spent about 8 months getting to know it and created a very simple game. I’m not into shooter games but would like to create exploration story games in the mode of MYST.

FPS creator seemed to lack the photo realism and story control I thought I could get with DPPro, but thus far I am disappointed there as well. I have thought about building a MYST type engine in DBPro using higher rez static images with inserted animations which is how MYST worked so many years ago.

The images and new creation tools I have seen from Reloaded seem more in line with my goals. Thus two basic questions. 1) Will Reloaded offer me the ability to create the type of games I seek? 2) As still a newbee at this can you suggest a course of study that will allow me to understand the jargon and ins and outs of the 3D world like Occlusion, Shaders, etc. Thanks
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Reloaded should be much more suitable for what you wish to do. However you may have to wait for additional features to be added.

At least you can quite relatively easily build your game environments. Reloaded should have some support for talking characters and better support for different types of games and other 3D world content eventually and not just FP Shooters at least that the intention I believe so that looks potentially more helpful to you. There's a lot more to add that will help you yet I am sure.

I guess the hardest part may be any advanced scripting you may need to do yourself if any depending upon you game design and interactive requirements and so on.

You could design and build some of your environments while you wait though perhaps it may be best to wait and see if all the features you will need will actually get added first.

Though helpful I am not sure you will need to know a great deal about the technicalities of things like Occlusion, Shaders and so on. By and large Reloaded should take care of that. In any case there is a wealth of info available over the web at no cost. Google, Wkki and as well as game and game engines web sites and a lot of helpful users here too.

Hope that helps just a little.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 15:52:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 15:52:53